Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 4, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #1,459 of 8,051

Where can you get LCD-2s for $499? I thought those were around a thousand.

I've been told it was a Black Friday sale....I guess it started out as Used or B-Stock, but after they ran out, they substituted brand-new LCD-2's. Again, so I was told a few pages back here.

Side note : Running 3 headphones at once! 2 on my Jot (M1060 plus HD6XX via XLR) and my Stax 2170 :p

I think cskippy is onto something with his mods. I think the problems I hear will be largely mitigated by the replacement pads + paper towel, and XLR cable will be icing on the cake. I may be putting on the leather-free pads sooner than I had planned heh.

I'm the type that naturally prefers Planar or Electrostat sound to more conventional designs, for the most part.

Mar 4, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #1,461 of 8,051
  Unfortunately for me, my set of M1060 has started cracking at where the headband system enters the earcups on both sides after 2 days. It's a shame that I have to send these back and will probably end up losing the £70 import duty I paid for them. 

That doesn't look good :O

Mar 4, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #1,462 of 8,051
My M1060 arrived yesterday. My initial impression is that this is a top-notch set of headphones and a steal at $299.

I A/B'd them with my Fostex th-x00 and AKG K7xx, and I vastly prefer the M1060. I found I didn't need to EQ them at all to enjoy them thoroughly, and I EQ all of my headphones to make them more flat. The soundstage, imaging, and lows are better, and they just sound clearer. They also sound flat and detailed at very low volume, and I find that most headphones do not. I bought the M560 as well and quite enjoyed those, but the M1060 sounds vastly better. I have 4 other headphones that I like less than the ones mentioned so far.

I have been powering them with a Schiit Jotunheim, and they are surprisingly one of my easier headphones to drive. I run them on low gain and have not had the volume knob past 11 o'clock. These will probably work OK directly from a phone, but I haven't tried that yet.

As far as design and build goes, they're good, but not perfect. I will probably solder on a straight 1/4" end to replace the right angle 1/8" connector. I use a desktop amp and like short cables, so it's a good length for me, but it's probably a foot too short for most people's tastes. They do not crackle or cut out like some of the reports here, and the connectors work just fine. The grills are a bit sharp, but you would have to try really, really hard to hurt yourself with them. The plastic bits don't line up perfectly, but you have to be examining them carefully to notice. They are overall a pretty solid build, but there is some room for improvement. The builds on the th-x00 and K7xx are better.

I find the M1060 comfortable, but not as comfortable as the K7xx or Sennheiser HD598/6xx, though those are pretty much perfect. The M1060 is a little heavy and bulky, but we all knew that from looking.

The M1060 is the new champ in my collection - I simply enjoy listening to them significantly more than any of my other headphones. The th-x00 and K7xx were my previous favourites - they were about tied with each other. I don't have any high-end headphones to compare them to, so my review is probably pretty fair considering that the price point of these is right in the middle of my overall headphone collection ($150-$500).

Summary: A stunning buy at $299. These are easy to recommend to anyone who likes great sound and is not yet rich :wink:

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #1,463 of 8,051
  This cable is garbage.  Seriously monoprice...what is the deal?  You are known for being a cable seller.  You shouldn't sell headphones with crappy cables.  And it's not just that the cable is crap (the screwed on connector) but it also makes no sense...A removable cable with the l/r indicator being so small and unreadable I can't even read it unless I put my glasses on AND turn the lights on?  And a full size headphone that is obviously geared to only being listened to at home, but the cable is SHORT, and you also include a 1/4 angled connector? 

Yes, someone dropped the ball big time on the cable..

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #1,464 of 8,051
  There is an easy fix for that.  Audeze pads.  You can also adhere something like a circle of Kleenex or paper towel to the outside to get rid of the 1kHz bump.  I choose to put mine under the grill, very easy to do.  

Under the grill? I put raw hamburger on the grill and got a more meaty bass. Toilet paper only provided a more crappy overall sound. Paper towel soaked up all the treble.

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #1,466 of 8,051
  Has anyone tried a stard MMCX IEM cable and has it worked just fine or does it require a specail setup? I considering getting a balanced cable made for these asuming I going to keep them ?

Impact Audio is asking me that questionabout if it just for the 1060"s  or IEM's. I would really prefer to get cable that would work on both .

Is there any sound difference if you have tested them vs the stock cable? 

As a bit of background, I've auditioned all sorts now, moving from a pair of Nad HP50s to open back instead. Highend Headphones have been extremely helpful so I'd like to thank Wendy and Paul.
I've heard the HD800S, HiFiMan 400i, Audeze LCD2, 3 and x, HIFIMan EX V2s, Elear, Utopia (another story), Pioneer Master SE1, Ether Flows, Audio Technica 2000s, Nighthawks, iSine 20s, Denon 7200s etc.
This morning I was going to do one last audition between the Audeze LCD2s and HiFiMan Edition X V2s as my top two choices...within my chosen budget...that was, until the 1060s arrived yesterday.
I had a good few hours with them yesterday and they did indeed sound close to the Audeze LCD2s, so my first check was, is there a good reason to spend an additional £550 and go through the hassle of selling the M1060s, or were they so close that it simply wasn't worth it?
The answer is, they are very close indeed, but the 1060s are a touch lighter and more comfortable as they have less clamp force. The pads however are nicer on the LCD2s.

Therefore the next part of the visit was to check them against my, up until now favourites, the HEX V2s.
After an hour or so, it was fairly clear that the HiFiMans are WAY ahead in the comfort stakes. They almost disappear when you put them on. With no music you can hear the room around you almost perfectly clearly and this is borne out by the fact that the HEXs leak sound quite a lot more than the 1060s.
However, the 1060s are still comfortable enough for a multi-hour session and the thing that really got me was that instruments didn't have what I can only describe as a slight viewing character to them, like they do with the HEXs. At first it's quite appealing but I actually prefer the directness of the 1060s. Drums and pianos are right there in front of you, keys being hammered and skins being hit and you can place them and feel the sound. The HEXs are just a bit too 'pleasing' if that makes sense?

For anyone with cable issues I also managed to test the 1060s using the Shure SHR1540 and SRH1840 cables. They're fairly basic, 1.8m and 2.1m respectively and they connect properly. They cured my left mmcx connector looseness. For £20 I'm ordering one to keep me going and then might look at a better cable.

So, in the long run, I was willing to spend £1099 but ended up happy after only £360. Result :)

YMMV and I hope parts of that help in some small way.

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #1,467 of 8,051
  Unfortunately for me, my set of M1060 has started cracking at where the headband system enters the earcups on both sides after 2 days. It's a shame that I have to send these back and will probably end up losing the £70 import duty I paid for them. 

Monoprice told me they would reimburse shipping and import costs if I returned them...and pay the postage back to the US

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #1,468 of 8,051
  Just got mind today and WOW I like them a lot, definitely a good value at $300. 30 second impressions are, they're keepers and i'm gonna go buy a balanced MMCX cable. 

I'll give it a few days and some burn in time before I talk about the SQ, but initial impressions are good. My reference cans are the Ether Flow's C's and Stax SR307/SRM323. 

Could you compare M1060 to Ether flow C? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back