Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 3, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #1,411 of 8,051
Amen, besides it still comes down to personal taste. Some people can't stand the HD800. These two headphones are about as different as you can get.

These should be compared to similar headphones like the Audeze, Hifiman, and maybe Fostex headphones so people can see which of those suit their needs best. They're also at a closer price point.

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #1,412 of 8,051
  Why do people keep comparing this to the HD800? They're not similar in the slightest. It almost feels as if people are trying to justify their HD800 purchase.

Isn't it normal to compare new cans against ones you already own? That's certainly what I did, regardless of similarity.

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #1,413 of 8,051
  Why do people keep comparing this to the HD800? They're not similar in the slightest. It almost feels as if people are trying to justify their HD800 purchase.

Trust me I don't really need to. The day something significantly cheaper is as good or better. Then I need to. I was hoping this would be it. But it performs like $300 headphones, nothing more, nothing less. $300 market is pretty competitive now and I'm not 100% sure this is better than HD6xx, K7xx, ect...

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #1,414 of 8,051
I was just comparing to what I own. I don't have an LCD 2 but I have the HD800 and those are both considered opposite sides of the same end-game coin. I meant the 1060 doesn't come close to the technicalities of the HD800. Again, don't have an LCD 2, but I'd assume they come close to the hd800 if so many people put them against each other. It was more just a comment to kinda calm down people thinking these are giant killers. They're a great value at $300 and pretty much my recommendation under 450 or so, but that's about it for me.

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #1,415 of 8,051
  Man was going to put up my M1060 up for $350 before I read the flipping rule. I'll just return it.

It's ok. Can't hold a candle to the HD 800.

Just the fact that you are trying to compare a $299 headphone vs a near top the line $1000 Sennheiser says a lot.

Yeah.  Seriously, these are planar magnetic which have an inherently different sound signature than dynamic headphones.  And yes I do agree that it seems like some people are trying to justify their expensive HD800 purchase. lol

Amen, besides it still comes down to personal taste. Some people can't stand the HD800. These two headphones are about as different as you can get.

These should be compared to similar headphones like the Audeze, Hifiman, and maybe Fostex headphones so people can see which of those suit their needs best. They're also at a closer price point.

Amen to that too!

Trust me I don't really need to. The day something significantly cheaper is as good or better. Then I need to. I was hoping this would be it. But it performs like $300 headphones, nothing more, nothing less. $300 market is pretty competitive now and I'm not 100% sure this is better than HD6xx, K7xx, ect...

These are $300 headphones and many here, including myself, believe that the M1060s perform above their $299 price, but we all have our own opinions and you certainly are entitled to yours.

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #1,416 of 8,051
I think if they're "just" an average set of 300 dollar cans, many of us here will be disappointed. the whole hype and interest was that monoprice was bringing the value and bang for the buck on these to compete outside its own price bracket. Maybe it was just hype, like it typically is.

I hope its not just that they "look" more expensive than they sound. We'll see.

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #1,417 of 8,051
Wait wait so people hype and hype and hype that these will shake up the market and challenge high end stuff, then a couple people compare them to high end stuff and they're worse, so now these people are trying to justify their higher end stuff? I don't get head-if sometimes.

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #1,418 of 8,051
  I think if they're "just" an average set of 300 dollar cans, many of us here will be disappointed. the whole hype and interest was that monoprice was bringing the value and bang for the buck on these to compete outside its own price bracket. Maybe it was just hype, like it typically is.

I hope its not just that they "look" more expensive than they sound. I have great headphones, so if these don't stand out, they won't stay. We'll see.

I mean the smaller planar has mixed reviews. I think this is a more exciting DT880. All rounder with some flaws but generally work well and has more soul than DT880 (that's a low bar). Probably on par with HD 600, but man there are some peaks in the freq response that gets a bit annoying sometimes.

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #1,419 of 8,051

Someone posted that because of the manufacturing process that PM's could sound quite different from one set to the next. I LOVE mine, but the vocal range appears to be vulnerable to honking and distortion, but other than that they're very, very good ... especially the low end. The depth of the lowest end is quite something. And tight !! At least what mine sound like. 

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #1,420 of 8,051
  I mean the smaller planar has mixed reviews. I think this is a more exciting DT880. All rounder with some flaws but generally work well and has more soul than DT880 (that's a low bar). Probably on par with HD 600, but man there are some peaks in the freq response that gets a bit annoying sometimes.

There is an easy fix for that.  Audeze pads.  You can also adhere something like a circle of Kleenex or paper towel to the outside to get rid of the 1kHz bump.  I choose to put mine under the grill, very easy to do.  

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #1,421 of 8,051
  ooh, regarding the M1060's and bass compared to the HD600, that can't be right. The bass on the M1060 is so much more than the HD600's. This must be because you're listening through the Valhalla 2 amp? I've never used a tube amp but have seen it said that tube amps and planars are not a good combo.

I wouldn't say that.  Tube amps and planars play together just fine, if not amazingly well, :D

I would say matching has more to do with the sensitivity and impedance rather than the tech itself.  

For instance, my low power tube head-amp rocks out with absolute control and authority via my Audeze LCD-X.  But the Hifiman HE-560?  FORGET IT.  Can't even begin to drive it.  
Both Planar, but very, very different impedance and sensitivity.  And for a bit more insight, my Sennheiser HD650 with its quite high impedance give the amp trouble at high levels.  So there is a traditional dynamic that won't come out and play nice with my amp :)

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #1,422 of 8,051
I'll try the M1060 on the Valhalla 2, although it's probably not going to do very well.  Bass and impact will most likely be sub par.  Vali 2 on the other hand works phenomenally well.

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #1,423 of 8,051
  There is an easy fix for that.  Audeze pads.  You can also adhere something like a circle of Kleenex or paper towel to the outside to get rid of the 1kHz bump.  I choose to put mine under the grill, very easy to do.  

can't imagine it would fix the tonality, the soundstage and bass quantity?

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #1,424 of 8,051
If you check out my pics that I uploaded it does a LOT.  Tonally, they're darker but clearer compared to stock with better bass and no annoying peaks in the treble.  Sound stage is fantastic for a planar, not the widest, but very natural and excellent depth.  With the Audeze pads they are the best headphones I have used for gaming.  

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #1,425 of 8,051
  can't imagine it would fix the tonality, the soundstage and bass quantity?

Pad rolling = changing distance between your ears = change in bass quantity and soundstage. It makes a huge difference sometimes. 

I was just comparing to what I own. I don't have an LCD 2 but I have the HD800 and those are both considered opposite sides of the same end-game coin. I meant the 1060 doesn't come close to the technicalities of the HD800. Again, don't have an LCD 2, but I'd assume they come close to the hd800 if so many people put them against each other. It was more just a comment to kinda calm down people thinking these are giant killers. They're a great value at $300 and pretty much my recommendation under 450 or so, but that's about it for me.

Seriously though. I get the comparison to HD800 and high-end headphones because they're supposed to be "giant-killers," but wouldn't comparing planars to dynamics unfair, since the two types of drivers have very different characteristics? I think when most people say giant-killeres they mean the LCD-series, which are planars, and not the HD800, which I presume is a completely different monster from what I've read up about planars v. dynamics. When people compare HD800 and LCD2 it's because they're in the same price range. I don't doubt that the HD800 will sound better to you, but I think when people say "giant-killers" they mean headphones that can reach the approximate performance (>80%) of headphones far above its price, not if it's better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back