Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 3, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #1,381 of 8,051

@MonoPrice I know you're still watching.......before my M1060's arrived, I was a potential customer for your 7 X 200W Monolith HT amp for your next Black Friday sale. And I'm happy to report that I still am! Of course, if you'd like to offer me that pricing now......*grin*

It was $1200 last june. Silly good deal at that price (for an audiophile with a crazy HT setup that has to run at 100+db at all times). Only thing that could come close is an Emotiva Gen3 refurb deal.

My M1060 arrives Monday. I have multiple MMCX cables to test with, including a balanced one. I'm thinking the balanced M1060 is going to sound better than my old HE-500 unbalanced, which I felt lacked in the bass and subbass department.

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #1,382 of 8,051
  I received the headphones last night from my purchase from ebay.  Overall I am liking the sound of the headphones especially for its sound stage and in games.  I've started noticing things in Overwatch like wild life sounds and background sounds which were probably there before, but these headphones really helped point them out to myself. It's as if they were sounds of gibberish with my old headphones.  I've come to equalize a bit in the lower treb to help bring it forward, but the rest of the spectrum of sound is greatly to my liking.

Unfortunately, I most likely will be exchanging them as it seems I've gotten a used pair. 

For instance the headband adjustments seemed to be used prior to myself.

There is a scratch along the wood finish on one of the cups.

Another thing I had noticed was that the stickers seemed to be "restuck" on but I had overlooked that unfortunately and slit them open on the box itself.

This exactly the same issue I had, Even the scratch is identical! I think this a QC not per say a "used from another person".... I really think Monoprice is repacking this headphones...

Mar 3, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #1,383 of 8,051
  It was $1200 last june. Silly good deal at that price (for an audiophile with a crazy HT setup that has to run at 100+db at all times). Only thing that could come close is an Emotiva Gen3 refurb deal.

My M1060 arrives Monday. I have multiple MMCX cables to test with, including a balanced one. I'm thinking the balanced M1060 is going to sound better than my old HE-500 unbalanced, which I felt lacked in the bass and subbass department.

Ahh, good to hear you've had positive results with that amp! I've been eyeballing it for what feels like a year now, but is likely much less. Keep me in mind if you hear of a similar deal on that amp, please :)

I think there may be variances in the 1060 drivers (Audeze has struggled in the past as well, I'm pretty sure). Some people think they lack bass, others praise it... *shrug* For my own part, I think the bass is somewhat emphasized from Neutral, but not too much so. It is not as emphasized as X00 PH or X2, for example. But it IS deep, and fast. However, if you have Planar experience, you already expect that.

I think you'll enjoy M1060, but don't take my word for it. You'll have the opportunity to hear and judge for yourself :) I too think going Balanced with M1060 could be a heck of a thing.

I hear a sharpness or spike I'm not too fond of, not sure if it's in the highs or upper mids......it only happens briefly on certain tracks. Most of the time it's fine, but then I suddenly get a slap upside the head. It may be that I have an undiscovered frequency sensitivity, I'm not sure.

As I expected, M1060 won't replace my Stax....but they are definitely keepers, and a hell of a value for their price! The plastic slider.....there's NO WAY it will last for the 5-year warranty period. It WILL fail, it's only a matter of time. We'll see what issues pop up between now and then....but at this (very early, only 3 hours old) stage, I believe I will insist on KEEPING my drivers when that day comes, and having them just ship me a replacement headband :p

With HD6XX, I didn't NEED another headphone, they were just too good a value to pass up. Same deal with the M1060; I don't NEED them, but couldn't pass them up for the price.

Mar 3, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #1,384 of 8,051

Got my pair in! Honestly, I don't like them much. Bass quantity seems kind of low versus what I was expecting. Less than any LCD I've heard for sure and the bass sounds kind of one-note even out of my KSA-5 Klone. But what stood out to me was just how unnatural these sound. They sound like they have a bit of a peak at 1k but what's more obvious is their peak at around 5k which makes them sound really, really plasticky. Tonality just sounds flat out wrong. I don't really mind the upper mid dip these have but it makes the 5k peak really prominent and ruins the sound for me.

I've mostly been comparing them to my Sennheiser HD580 and I honestly can't find one thing the M1060 does better other than bass extension, which these do in fact do pretty decently.

I took some measurements too; people are telling me to burn them in which I've only seen a measurable difference for once but I'll run them through the weekend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

HD650 FR measurement in my rig:

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #1,385 of 8,051

Got my pair in! Honestly, I don't like them much. Bass quantity seems kind of low versus what I was expecting. Less than any LCD I've heard for sure and the bass sounds kind of one-note even out of my KSA-5 Klone. But what stood out to me was just how unnatural these sound. They sound like they have a bit of a peak at 1k but what's more obvious is their peak at around 5k which makes them sound really, really plasticky. Tonality just sounds flat out wrong. I don't really mind the upper mid dip these have but it makes the 5k peak really prominent and ruins the sound for me.

I've mostly been comparing them to my Sennheiser HD580 and I honestly can't find one thing the M1060 does better other than bass extension, which these do in fact do pretty decently.

I took some measurements too; people are telling me to burn them in which I've only seen a measurable difference for once but I'll run them through the weekend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Looking at your 90+ impression list it's clear you and I have different tastes because I noticed all the headphones I really like you dislike and the least favorite of all my cans, the HD6xx you like a lot. Then I went down the list some more it seems like you really dislike most of what you've listened to so I don't know what to think.

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #1,386 of 8,051
Looking at your 90+ impression list it's clear you and I have different tastes because I noticed all the headphones I really like you dislike and the least favorite of all my cans, the HD6xx you like a lot. Then I went down the list some more it seems like you really dislike most of what you've listened to so I don't know what to think.

Have you considered the possibility he has different preferences, and this hobby is inherently subjective?

What people like is generally meaningless to me. Its all about getting a feel for someone and being able to interpret their impressions in such a way that it would reflect what you should perceive. For instance I have wildly different preferences to Tyll from inner fidelity, but I can understand his impressions since I put in the time to gain a point of reference for his tastes.

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #1,387 of 8,051

That's totally fine! People shouldn't take what any one person says as gospel; what didn't you like about the HD6XX? These definitely sound more, uh, interesting than the 6XX.

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #1,388 of 8,051
Have you considered the possibility he has different preferences, and this hobby is inherently subjective?

Yes, I was just stating an observation. He described the sound as plasticky and I don't really know how that sounds but was curious as to what he thought of other headphones and his list really heavily focuses on what he dislikes. The most positive comments seem to fall under a category of "least terrible of the bunch".

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #1,389 of 8,051

That's totally fine! People shouldn't take what any one person says as gospel; what didn't you like about the HD6XX? These definitely sound more, uh, interesting than the 6XX.

I like the HD6xx. I just like other headphones more. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I like but I know I tend to prefer a bright sound so I really like the MSR7's, HD700 and B&O H6. 

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #1,390 of 8,051
Got the headphone today. The left mmcx was bad, easily fixed with tweezers. The cable is, well, no so good, but servicible. Got mmcx connectors coming from Lunashops. The plan is to make a balanced cable. Letting it burn for a bit while I go running, and will give it a listen later tonight. Gonna see how it stacks up to TH500-RP, T50RP mk3 (heavily modded), and HD6XX.

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #1,391 of 8,051
  Yes, I was just stating an observation. He described the sound as plasticky and I don't really know how that sounds but was curious as to what he thought of other headphones and his list really heavily focuses on what he dislikes. The most positive comments seem to fall under a category of "least terrible of the bunch".

I try not to sugar coat things. If I find a problem with a headphone I'm going to express it. There are problems with every headphone and it's best to read something overly negative and end up being pleasantly surprised than hope for something good that doesn't live up expectations. 

These aren't exactly bright but I could see people focusing on the 5k peak and thinking they're bright.

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #1,393 of 8,051

your impression is surely swimming against the flow. but again, all your impressions are on the negative side so at least you are consistent.

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #1,394 of 8,051
I'm probably going to order these when they become available again (hopefully on 4/12), though the QC issues are troubling. Are all mmcx  connectors standard? My Sennheiser IE 80 has mmcx connectors, but at least one review described them as proprietary. I was wondering if I could use them as a backup cable if the stock cable has a problem?

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #1,395 of 8,051
Just got mind today and WOW I like them a lot, definitely a good value at $300. 30 second impressions are, they're keepers and i'm gonna go buy a balanced MMCX cable. 

I'll give it a few days and some burn in time before I talk about the SQ, but initial impressions are good. My reference cans are the Ether Flow's C's and Stax SR307/SRM323. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back