Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 3, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #1,366 of 8,051
  I was looking forward to comparison with T50rp. Can you elaborate more on that subject and also do you have any mods on your T50rp?

My initial thought is that remembering to when I got my t50rp I was much more blown away thrilled with the sound of the Fostex than I am with the 1060. In fact I was rather let down and unimpressed. I love the flat curve but the soundstage is terrible, all instruments are strong left or right and vocals are dead center in the center of the head creating weird 3 point mix. Add to that the highs are really buried and lifeless with an annoying sibilant mid-high that really adds a harshness to vocals and guitars. These a way more cozy and light than the Fostex. 

The Fostex got sold because they were too heavy and needed mods to sound better. These are going back because 1. the left connector cuts out 2.the soundstage is poor 3. Mid-high sizzle is fatiguing 4. Value is low. (these really should be priced around $150 like the t50rp). I don't feel they are worth $300 just because of the planar tech. There are many better suited cans to my requirements for $300. 

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #1,367 of 8,051
  My initial thought is that remembering to when I got my t50rp I was much more blown away thrilled with the sound of the Fostex than I am with the 1060. In fact I was rather let down and unimpressed. I love the flat curve but the soundstage is terrible, all instruments are strong left or right and vocals are dead center in the center of the head creating weird 3 point mix. Add to that the highs are really buried and lifeless with an annoying sibilant mid-high that really adds a harshness to vocals and guitars. These a way more cozy and light than the Fostex. 

The Fostex got sold because they were too heavy and needed mods to sound better. These are going back because 1. the left connector cuts out 2.the soundstage is poor 3. Mid-high sizzle is fatiguing 4. Value is low. (these really should be priced around $150 like the t50rp). I don't feel they are worth $300 just because of the planar tech. There are many better suited cans to my requirements for $300. 

What source are you using for the M1060?

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #1,368 of 8,051
One review that they are quite close to the HE-6's and another that they are overpriced and should have been more like $150.

Head-fi, keep being head-fi.
beerchug.gif

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #1,370 of 8,051
  One review that they are quite close to the HE-6's and another that they are overpriced and should have been more like $150.

beerchug.gif

It's so true! That's one thing that I have a super love/hate relationship with as an audiophile is how subjective EVERYTHING is. It just makes my chronic indecisiveness so much worse when trying to decide on what to buy.

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #1,371 of 8,051

beerchug.gif

The HE-6 swims with some heavy hitters. One list that I remember was DM's list of 20 , this wa sprobably before his battle of the flagships but that HE-6 had a very cozy spot

Sitting above a LEGEND like that. Now, I dont have a Monoprice, but whoever said that is making quite a bold statement. Same with LCD-2 comparisons. I mean, if it is comparable for the price. HALLELUJAH, i would love everyone be able to get the best at a somewhat affordable price tag.

But its not unheard of to like a 'lower' end can give the bigger dog a run for his money. The one that always makes me question my sanity is when i go back to the ksc75s. I've heard they've gone as low as 5 bucks at times.

Anyway, though not the most detailed, it always puts a scare in me for spending so much on headphones. B/C for some weird reason some songs sound very alive on those. And just plugged into a phone/laptop.

If there weren't the madness on here, no one would be here.

What fun is that?
devil_face.gif

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #1,372 of 8,051
There's great options at all price points, no doubt.

I haven't a doubt that the HE-6 does indeed swim with the heavy hitters, as their HE-500 headphone is one of my favorites. Give it a few watts of juice and they (He-500's) sing and sound just incredible.

My love for the HE-500 made me want to give these a try. I'll be getting my pair Monday.

The only way you find out if you like it is by trying it yourself, and linked in your own setup.

With the 30 day return period and warranty, they make it very easy to do that.

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #1,373 of 8,051
  There's great options at all price points, no doubt.

I haven't a doubt that the HE-6 does indeed swim with the heavy hitters, as their HE-500 headphone is one of my favorites. Give it a few watts of juice and they (He-500's) sing and sound just incredible.

My love for the HE-500 made me want to give these a try. I'll be getting my pair Monday.

The only way you find out if you like it is by trying it yourself, and linked in your own setup.

With the 30 day return period and warranty, they make it very easy to do that.

I've only been in the headphone game really for 4 years. I was very satisfied with my Lp2 for mobile, and xb1k at home. B/C I had wicked car setups, most of the nirvana audio moments happened in the car or while being wobbly after some whiskey and listening in bars or headphones in the night (while tipsy). I now realize that is the best upgrade:p . Though before that I did have a bit of the studio/detail oriented can with Senny 497/ Shure440, but i wasn't into heavy details really, if that makes sense. I didn't care for dissection of songs.

As this journey goes on,i got more cans to get more details, but then i felt i was too focused on the details and terms and focusing on everything but the music. Not to hate on those who put detail retrieval as the be all end all, but I don't need to hear background cough and stuff.

I'm in therapy now to re-learn just to hear the piece as a whole wave sweeping into the ears. I will take less detail for better musicality/euphonic traits anyday.
devil_face.gif

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #1,374 of 8,051
  correct, its not an ideal combo. You get a bigger soundstage for sure but the bass doesn't extend as far and the mid highs distort a bit more. Get the bottlehead anyway and grab some hd650's Thats a really lively combo.

I also have a 6XX but only either one of the headphones can stay. What's your impression on the 650 + Crack vs the M1060? I got my 1060 yesterday and right now I prefer the sound of the M1060. What's your favorite amp for driving the M1060 with?

I'm thinking of getting the Crack anyway. I love to DIY so I have no problem selling my build for the parts price if I don't like it.

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #1,375 of 8,051
I love the hobby itself. I love listening to the different sound signatures of different headphones, it's just so much fun for whatever reason. It's one of the few things that's really exciting and makes me feel like a kid again.

That being said, I have like 7/8 really good cans right now and I enjoy them very much, but also know it is very much excess and if I had to just have two pairs I could still be largely satisfied from a listening perspective. It just isn't quite as fun as having 7 pairs that you really love and feeling like a kid in a toy store each time you choose one.

I can even enjoy some very cheapie pairs, alongside the flagships. Sometimes you want the better detail extraction and technical abilities, sometimes you just want to relax and enjoy something non-fatiguing. Sometimes you just want to dance and head nod and get the bass punch... It's great to have the ability to pick up something enjoyable no matter the mood and enjoy it.

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #1,376 of 8,051
  I received the headphones last night from my purchase from ebay.  Overall I am liking the sound of the headphones especially for its sound stage and in games.  I've started noticing things in Overwatch like wild life sounds and background sounds which were probably there before, but these headphones really helped point them out to myself. It's as if they were sounds of gibberish with my old headphones.  I've come to equalize a bit in the lower treb to help bring it forward, but the rest of the spectrum of sound is greatly to my liking.

Unfortunately, I most likely will be exchanging them as it seems I've gotten a used pair. 

- snip -

I highly doubt your headphones are used though since they literally just got released. See the Reddit comment.

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #1,378 of 8,051

I highly doubt your headphones are used though since they literally just got released. See the Reddit comment.

I guess that's how it is if everyone shipped with those scratches on the adjustment.  Just for reference mine shipped with the headband at the second to last notch at the top and I hadn't moved it at all.  Just kinda bummed that the headphones we paid for came "imperfect".

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #1,379 of 8,051
  For $499 LCD 2 might still be better value. 

Yes. I completely agree with you. 499 LCD-2 is better value than 299 M1060.

Well, for one thing, you can't really compare Used price to brand-new price.

And for another thing, no, no it is not. These are stellar value for $299.

JUST received my 1060, still cold on my head from shipping. Sounds pretty darn good to me right out of the box. I find the highs a little too much, but have a pair of the leather-free pads sitting on my desk which should take care of that. But I'll give the stock pads their fair go first...and see if break-in changes them, of course.

My Stax are not in danger of being dethroned by M1060......but then it's not exactly likely a "real" LCD-2 (or 3) is up to that task, either :p Not with Mimby/Jot, at least. With many thousands more dollars invested in the audio chain? Possibly.......but then I can just upgrade my Stax gear as well.

Time to go back to sleep after the Postman woke me up (don't post while cranky, kids!)

@MonoPrice I know you're still watching.......before my M1060's arrived, I was a potential customer for your 7 X 200W Monolith HT amp for your next Black Friday sale. And I'm happy to report that I still am! Of course, if you'd like to offer me that pricing now......*grin*

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #1,380 of 8,051

Well, for one thing, you can't really compare Used price to brand-new price.

And for another thing, no, no it is not. These are stellar value for $299.

JUST received my 1060, still cold on my head from shipping. Sounds pretty darn good to me right out of the box. I find the highs a little too much, but have a pair of the leather-free pads sitting on my desk which should take care of that. But I'll give the stock pads their fair go first...and see if break-in changes them, of course.

My Stax are not in danger of being dethroned by M1060......but then it's not exactly likely a "real" LCD-2 (or 3) is up to that task, either :p Not with Mimby/Jot, at least. With many thousands more dollars invested in the audio chain? Possibly.......but then I can just upgrade my Stax gear as well.

Time to go back to sleep after the Postman woke me up (don't post while cranky, kids!)

@MonoPrice I know you're still watching.......before my M1060's arrived, I was a potential customer for your 7 X 200W Monolith HT amp for your next Black Friday sale. And I'm happy to report that I still am! Of course, if you'd like to offer me that pricing now......*grin*

FWIW LCD-2's went on sale for $499 for the black friday event, and when they ran out of used they offered new if you asked.

So a good amount of people have brand new aluminum LCD-2's for $500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back