Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 3, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #1,351 of 8,051
Originally Posted by DMS3 TV 
  Its cool I don't take offense haha. You should see the hate mail I get every day. Its insane. Dozens of people a day telling me to kill myself. That's the youtube life!
Thanks for the support! : )

You are doing great job man. It is sad that people hiding behind the net would actually put the energy and time to send hate emails/comments.It reveals their true character and how they were raised.
I appreciate the effort you put into video/sound production. The content is also good and can always be improved with careful planning and thinking of what to address to fully understand the product potential and limitations.  some thinking out of the box and going for the extra mile is also useful (what can be done more to enhance the experience).
Technology is complicated enough and in the audiophile world, it is more complicated with the issue of pairing components and technical issues etc.
BTW, I was actually checking the Audio GD NFB11 based on your M1060 review. I would need first to convince myself that I need it giving what a I have already :) I may settle for a good 2 channel AV receiver though since I also need a speaker amp for my KEF LS50 in addition to other integrated functions in a small package to fit on my computer desk (not a lot of reviews of those from audiophile youtubers unfortunately).
anyway, keep doing what you are doing and I am sure your channel will gain popularity among the community.
Regards,
Mishal

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #1,352 of 8,051

I would not worry yet. If he bought them like me from eBay using their Global Shipping Program, he pre-paid already the import taxes together with the shipping like I did. I my case the total bill for shipment + taxes was around 75 USD if I remember right but I leave in CH and our VAT is only 8% (which shows that eBay is adding quite a bit as import "fees" there ...)

Thank you for your input on the matter and that is very interesting.  That seems to confirm or will confirm that only certain countries in the EU have manually enforced a prepaid import fee along with shipping.  I have a friend from Sweden(25 percent vat) that had tried adding things to the cart on monoprice yesterday and it seemed to include the import fees along with shipping.  The original friend from the UK(20 percent vat) of which this problem occurs did the same to discover that only shipping in a sense was quoted.  He'll be receiving his headphones sometime today, and if he has to pay import at the door it might help confirm/clarify this so other people planning to buy this in the future are aware.

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #1,353 of 8,051
I am in day two of my burning period. So far, I am very happy with this cans! No issues with the MMCX connectors.

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #1,354 of 8,051
I'm finding the M1060 likes the same power as my HE-6.  Testing two of my tube amps vs my Denon AVR 4800 connection from speaker taps, 150 wpc into 8 ohms.  From the Denon, more quantity, harder hitting bass, deeper soundstage, mids more forward, treble more smooth, better overall tone.  From the Denon, I prefer the M1060 over my LCD 2.2 with same cable as the M1060.  LCD 2.2 may have slightly more bass, but overall frequency response is smoother, with more detail wider deeper soundstage with the M1060.

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #1,355 of 8,051
DAY 2 Sound Impressions
Since I have never heard an LCD series or Hifiman headphones. The M1060 sounds fantastic to me. I have been listening to several songs that I thought sounded good on my T50rp mkIII and I am blown away at how much better they sound on the M1060.

I have been doing side by side comparisons with HD600, T50rp mkIII (HM5 angled pad), and my M40x(zmf angled cowhide pad)

The M1060 is definitely my favorite from my comparisons. The sound stage feels larger, and layered with imagery and detail. I have never experienced this feeling of sound encompassing you in a headhone like i have with the 1060.

Last night I did some comparisons between my Fidelio X2. The X2 has a V shape with brighter highs and more bass presence, but not as clear and sounded vailed in comparison.

Thanks for sharing. The X2 is my daily driver for few months now and I just enjoy them. It makes me wonder if any other headphone can replace them as a daily driver. we will see as I am expecting both my M1060 and my Modhouse Argon to arrive in a week time.

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #1,357 of 8,051
  With the Denon powering, what is the comparison of the glorious HE-6 to M1060 ? Nearly afraid to ask.

I would say that the HE-6 and M1060 are very close.  M1060 has wider deeper soundstage, better separation.  Bass is quick on the M1060, better sub bass. Mids are more full and forward on the M1060 vs HE-6, M1060 clarity and detail may be slightly better than the HE-6, depends on what you like.  Some tracks sound better than others, depending on personal preferences.  My HE-6 has fuzor mod, grille mod, and Audeze Vegan pad upgrade, but I do have adapters to use the same cables on all of my headphones, for better comparison.  I don't use tube amps with the HE-6 at all either because of power requirements.  I may try Audeze Vegan pads on the M1060 down the road, but so far after a week with the M1060, I find it hard to grab the LCD 2.2 or the HE-6.  M1060 hits my prefs!

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #1,358 of 8,051

I would say that the HE-6 and M1060 are very close.  M1060 has wider deeper soundstage, better separation.  Bass is quick on the M1060, better sub bass. Mids are more full and forward on the M1060 vs HE-6, M1060 clarity and detail may be slightly better than the HE-6, depends on what you like.  Some tracks sound better than others, depending on personal preferences.  My HE-6 has fuzor mod, grille mod, and Audeze Vegan pad upgrade, but I do have adapters to use the same cables on all of my headphones, for better comparison.  I don't use tube amps with the HE-6 at all either because of power requirements.  I may try Audeze Vegan pads on the M1060 down the road, but so far after a week with the M1060, I find it hard to grab the LCD 2.2 or the HE-6.  M1060 hits my prefs!

I find this unbelievable.

Mar 3, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #1,359 of 8,051
  I just contacted MonoPrice technical support about my headphone issues (connection issue and headband falling out) & Warranty questions.

The guy was very nice and they will send me out a new cable since, the connection issue follows the right cable connection and not the the right headphone cup. 

I just spoke to Customer support and they don't stock any 3.5 to mmcx cables. They offered to refund the entire purchase, including shipping, import duties and return postage to the US, but that is just SUCH a shame all because of badly soldered 3.5mm connector.
After all, it's a decent headphone.
Eventually they said that I could buy a new cable locally and they'd refund $50 back onto my card.

So, anyone know of a 'decent' but not OTT cable in the UK? Around the £50 mark?

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #1,360 of 8,051
  How;s your impression of driving them with the Crack? I want to grab one right now as it's on sale, but I've heard OTL tube amps do not pair so well with planars. Thanks!

correct, its not an ideal combo. You get a bigger soundstage for sure but the bass doesn't extend as far and the mid highs distort a bit more. Get the bottlehead anyway and grab some hd650's Thats a really lively combo.

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #1,363 of 8,051
  The 800's blow away the 1060's. 

I would think so. Can't expect a $300 headphone to compete with the 800s. You could HOPE it. Not expect it. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #1,365 of 8,051
I received the headphones last night from my purchase from ebay.  Overall I am liking the sound of the headphones especially for its sound stage and in games.  I've started noticing things in Overwatch like wild life sounds and background sounds which were probably there before, but these headphones really helped point them out to myself. It's as if they were sounds of gibberish with my old headphones.  I've come to equalize a bit in the lower treb to help bring it forward, but the rest of the spectrum of sound is greatly to my liking.

Unfortunately, I most likely will be exchanging them as it seems I've gotten a used pair. 

For instance the headband adjustments seemed to be used prior to myself.

There is a scratch along the wood finish on one of the cups.

Another thing I had noticed was that the stickers seemed to be "restuck" on but I had overlooked that unfortunately and slit them open on the box itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back