Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 2, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #1,307 of 8,051
  Yeah I knew those adjustment tabs were going to be a weak point.  You have to kind of coax them, can't be too aggressive.  If pads void a warranty then I'll be shocked.  Imagine you accidentally tore a pad, what now?  You're SoL?  I don't think so, get new pads, and replace them.  

I have actually been quite gentle with them the band popped out while I was wearing them.  The adjustment pieces are "crappy" but the band coming out was because the band itself was'nt placed far enough in and slipped out.

cskippy...are you a monoprice employee undercover trying to coax people to void their warranty.  haha
bigsmile_face.gif
.    I actually asked them..."so what if within five years I need new pads...that should'nt void the warranty.  I doubt monoprice will replace the whole headphone for pads needing changed."  He replied...."We are still investigating how invasive it is to replace the pads to determine if it will still have a warranty."   NO JOKE!  

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #1,308 of 8,051
Do try them with the Vali 2.  Valhalla 2 will be castrating the bass on them.  
From memory, HE-500 has more forward mids and more treble.  It also seems like it hits harder but the M1060 has more weight and sub bass by comparison.  They both image well, M1060 has a deeper sound stage, especially with the Audeze Vegan pads.  

Thanks for the info :) Would you say the HE-500 is close in comfort to the M1060?

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #1,309 of 8,051
  I have actually been quite gentle with them the band popped out while I was wearing them.  The adjustment pieces are "crappy" but the band coming out was because the band itself was'nt placed far enough in and slipped out.

cskippy...are you a monoprice employee undercover trying to coax people to void their warranty.  haha 
bigsmile_face.gif
.    I actually asked them..."so what if within five years I need new pads...that should'nt void the warranty.  I doubt monoprice will replace the whole headphone for pads needing changed."  He replied...."We are still investigating how invasive it is to replace the pads to determine if it will still have a warranty."   NO JOKE!  

I wish I was an employee hahaha! I'm just a headphone enthusiast whose been angry at the ever increasing prices of headphones, so when these cam out, I jumped on them.  

Honestly, I was not that pleased with the stock sound, they were weird sounding in the mids and there was a weird brightness that didn't make sense based on my measurements.  I could only conclude that this was caused by reflections with the leather pad.  As soon as I swapped the pads for the Audeze vegan pads, my complaints went away.  They were now slightly too dark, for my tastes, but others might really like them with just the pad swap.  I decided to do one more thing and settled on a circular piece of paper towel placed underneath the outer grill.  This fixed almost everything.  Any more mods and these will be too close to neutral and lose their special sound.
Quote:

Do try them with the Vali 2.  Valhalla 2 will be castrating the bass on them.  
From memory, HE-500 has more forward mids and more treble.  It also seems like it hits harder but the M1060 has more weight and sub bass by comparison.  They both image well, M1060 has a deeper sound stage, especially with the Audeze Vegan pads.  

Thanks for the info
smily_headphones1.gif
Would you say the HE-500 is close in comfort to the M1060?

HE-500 weighs more and isn't as comfortable as M1060.  The suspension system like the newer Hifiman's is perfect for comfort.  Like someone else said, their pretty much lighter more comfy LCD series headphones. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #1,313 of 8,051
I am tempted to just bite the bullet and mod the duck out of these. $300 is pocket change in Headphone terms. 

I'd like to change the pads. 

Take the sharp edges off the metalwork.

Change the connectors and cable.

Change the headband arrangement. 

That done I'd be chuffed as nuts. 

I think it's pretty amazing what they have managed to achieve for the money but it needs a little tweaking. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #1,314 of 8,051

HAHAH. you know the names are derived from the driver size? M1061 would be more logical. guess your too busy whining and writing long winded emails to customer service reps that are just going to ignore the text and click the refund button :) wahtever makes you feel better though.

Whew! Finally got it right.  OKAY!!!!!
deadhorse.gif

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #1,315 of 8,051
Anyone have a defective 3.5mm plug on their cord.  My plug wiggles and cuts in and out.  Thankfully no clipping from the MMCX plugs. I just got them, and so far I am impressed with the sound, but the quality appears to be lacking.  Just looking at the forum there is a very high number of issues.  I e-mailed support so we will see how responsive they are.  Unfortunately, if I don't get help these are going back.  My spidey senses are telling me these may be more hassle than they are worth.

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #1,319 of 8,051
  You should see the hate mail I get every day. Its insane. Dozens of people a day telling me to kill myself. That's the youtube life!

I can easily see that happening with all the horrible trolls on there. Most of them are likely jealous of something or living in their own misery. It's very sad and ridiculous. Keep doing your thing.

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #1,320 of 8,051
Got mine in a few hours ago. Construction is all good on mine, no cut outs or headband issues.

Compared to my Nighthawk, the bass is leaner on the 1060, more separated from the rest of the spectrum. The Nighthawk had more bass impact and quantity at the sacrifice of separation, bit of bleed in comparison to the 1060. Mids on the nighthawk are a little veiled compared to the 1060, but the 1060's mids sound farther away/pushed back despite being cleaner. Up to the treble, the Nighthawk is a slightly hotter than the 1060 and I feel the 1060 edges the NH out in quality while being more relaxed. Treble has more "air" to it from the 1060, less congested feeling than the NH. Soundstage is slightly bigger on the 1060, imaging is about equal between both cans.

The Nighthawk is more "fun" while being a little uncontrolled at the extremities, sucked out and slightly veiled in the middle. The NH also destroys the 1060 in build and comfort. All things considered I'd say the 1060 has the better, more natural sound but both are about equal in how much I value them.

In comparison to the iSine20 with 3.5mm: These are surprisingly close in tonality to my ears. I hate to disappoint with how short this section is but honestly, the 1060 has a bit more air in the treble and some maybe more sub bass(Listened to a few more test tracks, I can definitely feel more with the i20 while I hear more at the lowest ranges with the 1060, so the 1060 has more low bass while the isine has more sub bass) while having a leaner, less lush midrange. This will probably be what stops be from keeping the 1060, as I get nearly the same sound from my i20 already and I use that for at home listening as well as portable use. Soundstage is about equal on both of these(a testament to the awesome i20).

In comparison to the iSine20 with Cipher: Theeeerree's the air. The i20 is now more airy than the 1060, skewing a bit more treble focused than the 1060. It's the more fun can too. Hard to even consider keeping the 1060 with the sound I'm getting from the i20. The i20 in this config has better sub bass, better controlled low bass, lush but balanced mids and excellent treble air and detail.

So that's all for now. HD800 in tomorrow, but that's not really a serious comparison. More just there for the people who will inevitably ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back