Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 2, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #1,276 of 8,051
Aww man, yeah I guess this will be a shocker for him. Thanks for all the information though.  That's an insane amount of import tax gosh.  Would he be paying this at the front door, or would it be by contacting UPS?

I believe UPS gives the option to pay the driver upon delivery, however I'm unaware if you need to contact them first to confirm you're able to/happy to do so.

I'd recommended contacting them as soon as his tracking states his parcel is in the UK to confirm the payment due and also to arrange payment.

I was aware of these additional fees upon making my purchase, I'd hate not to have been :frowning2: sucks for your friend man

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #1,277 of 8,051
I believe UPS gives the option to pay the driver upon delivery, however I'm unaware if you need to contact them first to confirm you're able to/happy to do so.

I'd recommended contacting them as soon as his tracking states his parcel is in the UK to confirm the payment due and also to arrange payment.

I was aware of these additional fees upon making my purchase, I'd hate not to have been
frown.gif
sucks for your friend man

Alrighty, thanks again for all the help.  You've been most informative.  It arrived in the UK yesterday, and at first we saw that the tracking said something about the imports fee; there was a yellow caution alert.  It got cleared and continued towards his house today so we had assumed they were just checking that the payment was cleared from monoprice.  I'll get him to contact them as soon as possible.  Thanks

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #1,278 of 8,051
Build Quality Weakness Warning: 

Heads up to not be too rough with the headband.  I have been treating my M1060 very carfully and this morning I adjusted the headband for my wife to listen to it.  When adjusting it back and placing it on my head the left side headband completely detached from the left side!

I unscrewed the bottom plastic plate to fix it.  It appears the headband is only held in place by the pressure from the little plastic bottom plate screwed in. 

There is a little metal piece in it and the little metal bump is the thing that is scratching when you adjust the headband.  Kinda cheap.  

I just placed the headband back in and screwed it back together, but I have a feeling it is only a matter of time before is slips out again.  I've never felt like I have had to be this careful with a headphone.  :frowning2:  

I also had the connection issue, but I think it might be the cable and not my cup connection.  I have ordered another cable to see if it stops doing it.

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #1,279 of 8,051
Alrighty, thanks again for all the help.  You've been most informative.  It arrived in the UK yesterday, and at first we saw that the tracking said something about the imports fee; there was a yellow caution alert.  It got cleared and continued towards his house today so we had assumed they were just checking that the payment was cleared from monoprice.  I'll get him to contact them as soon as possible.  Thanks

Not a problem :)

If by some miracle monoprice is paying off import tax, could you let me know haha

Cheers!

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #1,280 of 8,051
Not a problem
smily_headphones1.gif

If by some miracle monoprice is paying off import tax, could you let me know haha

Cheers!

Yes of course.  I'll let you know as soon as his arrives.  They are scheduled to arrive tomorrow at the latest.  The UPS driver is apparently drunk though as it's been triangulating around his city(pfft I'm assuming to ride up that *handling* cost).  It could have easily have been delivered yesterday as the ups center was right next to his place. In all seriousness guess we'll just have to be patient.

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #1,282 of 8,051

Heads up to not be too rough with the headband.  I have been treating my M1060 very carfully and this morning I adjusted the headband for my wife to listen to it.  When adjusting it back and placing it on my head the left side headband completely detached from the left side!

I unscrewed the bottom plastic plate to fix it.  It appears the headband is only held in place by the pressure from the little plastic bottom plate screwed in. 

There is a little metal piece in it and the little metal bump is the thing that is scratching when you adjust the headband.  Kinda cheap.  

I just placed the headband back in and screwed it back together, but I have a feeling it is only a matter of time before is slips out again.  I've never felt like I have had to be this careful with a headphone.  :frowning2:  

I also had the connection issue, but I think it might be the cable and not my cup connection.  I have ordered another cable to see if it stops doing it.

Now I have 'The fear!'. I am not going to move mine ))))

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #1,283 of 8,051
  For those having issues with the cable connectors, is it also not an option to kind of put tape around them?

I know that's not an actual solution, more of a literal bandaid, but what I'm also prying at here is that it sounds like that could be a potential workaround.

Something about that DMS3 kid annoys me.  Sorry if you're reading man.  (I'm probably just jealous he gets his hands on all this gear) I appreciate the reviews hahah

Excited to hear extensive LCD-2 (fazor and non-fazor) vs. M1060 impressions and impressions with Chord Mojo.

<3 its okay. I pretty much skip meals to buy this stuff to review it.

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #1,284 of 8,051
  I really like his reviews, but I could live without the earlobe accessories (but I'm probably more than twice his age). He gives useful and succinct takes on gear. He's done before Z has finished showing off all the gear he's using just to test the item being reviewed and after 15 or 20 minutes he might spend 30 seconds telling you how it sounded.

Yea I'm only 23 haha. My content still has a ways to go though. Always trying to improve.

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #1,285 of 8,051

Hello users,

Just wanted to address some of your concerns with the legitimacy of our last post. To clear some of the concerns, this is Monoprice’s Official Head-Fi forum account, created back in August of 2011, but there was never a need for us to interact until now. Our dedicated Monoprice users have been fairly active on our behalf, allowing us to simply monitor interactions, but this recent issue prompted us to take a more direct approach.

There has also been a few questions regarding the warranties, and how they are to be honored going forward. As stated in our previous post, we are continuing to honor the full 5 year warranty, but if you feel you need a more formal response, please feel free to reach out to us directly at tech.feedback@monoprice.com. If you have any other concerns regarding our products or policies, please feel free to reach out to our direct support lines in the following link: https://www.monoprice.com/help?pn=contact.

Thank you all,

#theREALmonoprice

Thank you again for the clarification MonoPrice.  

Question....Would replacing the Ear Pads void the warranty??

I just contacted MonoPrice technical support about my headphone issues (connection issue and headband falling out) & Warranty questions.

The guy was very nice and they will send me out a new cable since, the connection issue follows the right cable connection and not the the right headphone cup. He also told me that he thinks the headband is just connected by the pressure of the plastic plate screwed in and mine might not have been very tight or not in very far.  So, it wasn't a hard fix...just poor design and craftsmanship in my opinion. But what do you expect when the main selling point is the sound.    

5 YEAR WARRANTY UPDATE:
I asked him about the warranty and he inferred because I purchased it before a specific date I was covered by the 5 warranty.  I questioned him and said it was officially announced on the HeadFi forum that the five year warranty change back, and that the headphone will continue to be sold with the 5 year and that it was changed back on their own website.  So, the employees are still under the impression that it is a 1 year warranty still....Kinda weird that all the staff are under the impression the warranty changed, especially since that was suppose to be a technical "glitch."
wink_face.gif

I asked him about the specification of the Warranty , specifically if changing the pads would void the warranty.  He put me on hold and said they do not know the specification of the warranty yet! So that concerned me a bit.  He said they are still investigating what they will cover for the warranty, and to check back in the future to see if they include changing the ear pads.

So, officially, changing the ear pads may void the warranty at this point and he instructed me not to do it yet.

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #1,286 of 8,051
  I just contacted MonoPrice technical support about my headphone issues (connection issue and headband falling out) & Warranty questions.

The guy was very nice and they will send me out a new cable since, the connection issue follows the right cable connection and not the the right headphone cup. He also told me that he thinks the headband is just connected by the pressure of the plastic plate screwed in and mine might not have been very tight or not in very far.  So, it wasn't a hard fix...just poor design and craftsmanship in my opinion. But what do you expect when the main selling point is the sound.    

5 YEAR WARRANTY UPDATE:
I asked him about the warranty and he inferred because I purchased it before a specific date I was covered by the 5 warranty.  I questioned him and said it was officially announced on HeadFi and that the five year warranty change was a glitch and that the headphone will continue to be sold with the 5 year and that it was back on their website.  So, the employees are still under the impression that it is a 1 year warranty still....Kinda weird that all the staff are under the impression the warranty changed, especially since that was suppose to be a technical "glitch."
wink_face.gif

I asked him about the specification of the Warranty , specifically if changing the pads would void the warranty.  He put me on hold and said they do not know the specification of the warranty yet! So that concerned me a bit.  He said they are still investigating what they will cover for the warranty, and to check back in the future to see if they include changing the ear pads.

So, officially, changing the ear pads may void the warranty at this point and he instructed me not to do it yet.

I am glad you got it all sorted out, The warranty stuff still kind of concern me...

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #1,287 of 8,051

5 YEAR WARRANTY UPDATE:
I asked him about the warranty and he inferred because I purchased it before a specific date I was covered by the 5 warranty.  I questioned him and said it was officially announced on HeadFi and that the five year warranty change was a glitch and that the headphone will continue to be sold with the 5 year and that it was back on their website.  So, the employees are still under the impression that it is a 1 year warranty still....Kinda weird that all the staff are under the impression the warranty changed, especially since that was suppose to be a technical "glitch."
wink_face.gif

That's exactly the issue I had. The warranty is a moving target. In my opinion, it doesn't exist until they put those terms in writing. How do they interpret it? Is it just a case by case verbal commitment? I've never seen a company who doesn't include the terms in writing. For me, a warranty & customer service is a big part of the PRODUCT I'm buying. 5 year warranty? For what? So far, nobody has been able to produce the terms. For all you know, it covers 5 years on the cable and everything else is 30 days. Monoprice has been monitoring this thread but as of yet they haven't posted the terms & conditions that I requested. If they exist, how hard can that be? I sent mine back today. If they have warranty issues today; wait until a year passes!
 When I spoke to an Audeze rep, I asked what the cost would be to repair a driver on the EL-8? If I remember correctly, he said around $250.00. They usually don't repair them, they just replace the entire ear piece. If you think your replacement costs on the M1060 will be cheap, you might want to look into that.
 These headphones are mass produced. I highly doubt they will have repair parts down the road & the M1060 will long be obsolete. My bet is that it's not a "glitch" but a major screw-up on their part. They probably have a team of attorneys working on how they can avoid repair costs down the road. That's probably why we can't get the warranty in writing. You said it. They don't have the specifications yet!
Monoprice, any comments????

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #1,288 of 8,051

Yea the little rubbery plastic parts on the headband are the one thing about this headphone that feels like a super cheap cut corner. Just adjusting it feels like it's shaving the nub that would go into the holes of the metal headband. I do expect they will revise this with a sturdier solution in the future and I'm going to take advantage of the warranty for that.

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #1,289 of 8,051

That's exactly the issue I had. The warranty is a moving target. In my opinion, it doesn't exist until they put those terms in writing. How do they interpret it? Is it just a case by case verbal commitment? I've never seen a company who doesn't include the terms in writing. For me, a warranty & customer service is a big part of the PRODUCT I'm buying. 5 year warranty? For what? So far, nobody has been able to produce the terms. For all you know, it covers 5 years on the cable and everything else is 30 days. Monoprice has been monitoring this thread but as of yet they haven't posted the terms & conditions that I requested. If they exist, how hard can that be? I sent mine back today. If they have warranty issues today; wait until a year passes!
 When I spoke to an Audeze rep, I asked what the cost would be to repair a driver on the EL-8? If I remember correctly, he said around $250.00. They usually don't repair them, they just replace the entire ear piece. If you think your replacement costs on the M1060 will be cheap, you might want to look into that.

This really worries me. These headphones are not as well built / designed as they should have been due to the MCMX connectors and now there's a potential headband issue too. Normally, the 5-year warranty would assuage my concerns but the terms of the warranty don't even exist (what the heck!). 

I just don't feel very reassured. As a result, whether I'm going to keep mine or return them within 30 days remains to be seen....

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #1,290 of 8,051

This really worries me. These headphones are not as well built / designed as they should have been due to the MCMX connectors and now there's a potential headband issue too. Normally, the 5-year warranty would assuage my concerns but the terms of the warranty don't even exist (what the heck!). 

I just don't feel very reassured. As a result, whether I'm going to keep mine or return them within 30 days remains to be seen....

Well on the bright side if you don't use the warranty you could buy the M1060's brand new 4 times before it matches the price and repair of an LCD-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back