Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 2, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #1,246 of 8,051
M1060s in tomorrow, HD800 in Friday. Two enter, only one can remain. Fun weekend for me. Won't really be directly comparing them but I'll only be keeping one pair.

That will be interesting.  What amp/dac are you going to use?

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #1,247 of 8,051
  How;s your impression of driving them with the Crack? I want to grab one right now as it's on sale, but I've heard OTL tube amps do not pair so well with planars. Thanks!

I'm using the M1060 with a Zana Deux and it's the best I've heard them.  They are really efficient so an OTL amp like Crack or Valhalla 2 etc should be able to drive them just fine.  
  @cskippy

How many hours of burn in playing are needed for the M1060 please ?

I don't really believe in burn in so much as brain burn in, getting used to the sound.  Maybe 50-100 hours the diaphragm might loosen up a little giving slightly more bass and a smoother mid/treble.

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #1,249 of 8,051
  So, my right cup connection is cutting in and out.  
angry_face.gif
 In fact it actually makes my fulla 2 lose signal and starts playing audio through my motherboard sound.  I swapped the left right plug and it is now doing it on the left side....so pretty sure it is the cable.   But, I don't have any mmcx cables to swap it with.
mad.gif

I discovered it by letting someone else wear them and they were wearing a big jacket which when they moved it put pressure on the connection and it cut out. Now i discovered if I bend the cable right next to the right connection it cuts out. 
The weird part is I still receive some audio but but a voice or instruments stop playing in the right cup.

I am not quite sure what you did to fix it? Any one else fix it too?

* Do at your own risk * you can take a pair of small tweezers and gently crimp the female pin connector inside the jack on the cup. If done right, it makes it firmly grip the male signal pin in the cable and should stop the cut-out. As I said though, do at your own risk, I don't want you blaming me if you squeeze too hard and crush the connector to the point it won't work. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #1,250 of 8,051
+1 I've done this with loose RCA connectors, you just have to be really gentle and coax it along.  You can always do more but you can't undo it if you squeeze to hard.

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #1,251 of 8,051
Thank you both. That makes since. However when I plug the left cable connector to the right cup it doesn't do it. And putting the right into the left cup WILL do it, so I think it is just the right connector on the cable.

I'm going to buy a different cable to see if that fixes it.

Any suggestions on a good mmcx cable??

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #1,252 of 8,051
Also interested in a mmcx cable - what has great performance for a cheap price, and also are there some at 6 foot lengths ?

Cool if different lengths available for us both.

May later try a new cable after my M1060 arrive tonite, if the cable price is cheap.

Any suggestions  for us both ?

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #1,253 of 8,051
 Something about that DMS3 kid annoys me.  Sorry if you're reading man.  (I'm probably just jealous he gets his hands on all this gear) I appreciate the reviews hahah

I really like his reviews, but I could live without the earlobe accessories (but I'm probably more than twice his age). He gives useful and succinct takes on gear. He's done before Z has finished showing off all the gear he's using just to test the item being reviewed and after 15 or 20 minutes he might spend 30 seconds telling you how it sounded.

I understand what you are trying to say. However, I don't think it is acceptable to be annoyed by someones appearance. People have different tastes.

I am new to the game and I just found DMS3 and his videos are very informative and no-nonsense with high quality editing. Unlike Z who seems to talk a lot, but says very little.

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #1,255 of 8,051
In short if HD650 is slightly mid forward and lacks ultimate extension on either end, M1060 is it's perfect counterpart.  With mods, M1060 further approaches HD650 in it's ability to sound natural.  M1060 wins on sound stage width and depth, is better for gaming, at least with Audeze vegan pads, and is easy to drive and comfortable.  HD650 has a more speaker like presentation but can be somewhat forward sounding depending on gear.  Look through my other posts for more info.

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #1,256 of 8,051
  Also interested in a mmcx cable - what has great performance for a cheap price, and also are there some at 6 foot lengths ?

Cool if different lengths available for us both.

May later try a new cable after my M1060 arrive tonite, if the cable price is cheap.

Any suggestions  for us both ?

Also, are there any IEM / CIEM fans that can help us out here ?

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #1,257 of 8,051
  So I have given them a couple of hours now. 

Been listening to:

Ludovico Einaudi- Experience, Underwood. 

Progressive house Audiophile- Vol. 4

Khalid- Location, Saved

Listening through:

Jotunheim

Byerdynamic A20

XDuo XD-05 connected to my Galaxay S7

Comparing to:

Beyerdynamic T1

Sennheiser HD800

AKG K7XX

Build quality I think is solid if a little unrefined. The way the headphones spin off at all angles gets a bit annoying. Cable I find too short and the connectors are pants. 

Saying that for $300 I wasn't expecting much. 

Sound quality I am pretty impressed with given the price point. I agree with Ggroch they are a little bright but given chance they might settle down. Base is punchy and Mids are good to my ears. Sound stage is average. 

They will need a bit more listening too before I am screaming their praises. 

All told I am happy with the purchase so far. 

If you are comparing to headphones in the same price point these are streets ahead

I see what you doing there. :p

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #1,259 of 8,051
I really like his reviews, but I could live without the earlobe accessories (but I'm probably more than twice his age). He gives useful and succinct takes on gear. He's done before Z has finished showing off all the gear he's using just to test the item being reviewed and after 15 or 20 minutes he might spend 30 seconds telling you how it sounded.

If we're going DMS3 vs. Z, I'll take DMS3 all the way. Z loves to hear himself talk. Still, I'm 100% tuning in for his M1060 review, lol

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #1,260 of 8,051

Also, are there any IEM / CIEM fans that can help us out here ?

I can only echo Impact Audio on Etsy. I got a cable this summer for my Supra customs and it's of very good quality. However if you go for naked copper cables beware they might oxidize (Is that the term when they go blueish?) but if you have them sleeved it doesn't matter. My friend got a MMCX cable for his shure IEM's and he's very happy so far, haven't heard anything else at least. Very reasonable prices, no snake oil ********. At the time of order at least there were no mention of sound and he didn't mention sound once in our correspondence so that impressed me a lot. (I don't atm believe in cables other than build/looks)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back