Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 1, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #1,231 of 8,051
So I have given them a couple of hours now. 

Been listening to:

Ludovico Einaudi- Experience, Underwood. 

Progressive house Audiophile- Vol. 4

Khalid- Location, Saved

Listening through:

Jotunheim

Byerdynamic A20

XDuo XD-05 connected to my Galaxay S7

Comparing to:

Beyerdynamic T1

Sennheiser HD800

AKG K7XX

Build quality I think is solid if a little unrefined. The way the headphones spin off at all angles gets a bit annoying. Cable I find too short and the connectors are pants. 

Saying that for $300 I wasn't expecting much. 

Sound quality I am pretty impressed with given the price point. I agree with Ggroch they are a little bright but given chance they might settle down. Base is punchy and Mids are good to my ears. Sound stage is average. 

They will need a bit more listening too before I am screaming their praises. 

All told I am happy with the purchase so far. 

If you are comparing to headphones in the same price point these are streets ahead. 

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #1,233 of 8,051
@Stoaty If after burn in, you're still unhappy with the brightness try the Audeze Leather Free Pads from BH Photo.  Glad you're liking them so far!

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #1,234 of 8,051
Getting mine in a few days ill be paring it with a Chord Mojo can't wait!

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #1,240 of 8,051
Created a product page for these in anticipation of the reviews that might come - 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/monoprice-monolith-m1060-planar-headphones 

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #1,241 of 8,051
For those having issues with the cable connectors, is it also not an option to kind of put tape around them?

I know that's not an actual solution, more of a literal bandaid, but what I'm also prying at here is that it sounds like that could be a potential workaround.

Something about that DMS3 kid annoys me.  Sorry if you're reading man.  (I'm probably just jealous he gets his hands on all this gear) I appreciate the reviews hahah

Excited to hear extensive LCD-2 (fazor and non-fazor) vs. M1060 impressions and impressions with Chord Mojo.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #1,242 of 8,051
  Day 2:

I ran these through my Bottlehead Crack instead of my solid state amp last night and was really pleased with how much better they sound. Big and full with deep bass and more present highs. Headspace is larger however these cans have a strong left/right center presentation and imaging is really poor but is more forward today than yesterday. The soundstage is pretty small and doesn't really reach beyond the ears. Upon inspection of the  driver its apparent its basically closed and does not allow of front to back air movement so I see why.

How;s your impression of driving them with the Crack? I want to grab one right now as it's on sale, but I've heard OTL tube amps do not pair so well with planars. Thanks!

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #1,243 of 8,051
  I received my M1060 today with connector issues on the left. Looking at the connector closely, it's coaxial with the center receptacle being a clasp. Gently using the tip of a small paper clip (or x-acto knife) to push the edges of the clasp closer together fixed the issue. No more dropouts no matter how much I wiggle the connector.
I'm on the fence about returning it, no idea how robust this connector will be in the long run.

So, my right cup connection is cutting in and out.  
angry_face.gif
 In fact it actually makes my fulla 2 lose signal and starts playing audio through my motherboard sound.  I swapped the left right plug and it is now doing it on the left side....so pretty sure it is the cable.   But, I don't have any mmcx cables to swap it with.
mad.gif

I discovered it by letting someone else wear them and they were wearing a big jacket which when they moved it put pressure on the connection and it cut out. Now i discovered if I bend the cable right next to the right connection it cuts out. 
The weird part is I still receive some audio but but a voice or instruments stop playing in the right cup.

I am not quite sure what you did to fix it? Any one else fix it too?

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #1,244 of 8,051
  Something about that DMS3 kid annoys me.  Sorry if you're reading man.  (I'm probably just jealous he gets his hands on all this gear) I appreciate the reviews hahah

I really like his reviews, but I could live without the earlobe accessories (but I'm probably more than twice his age). He gives useful and succinct takes on gear. He's done before Z has finished showing off all the gear he's using just to test the item being reviewed and after 15 or 20 minutes he might spend 30 seconds telling you how it sounded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back