Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 28, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #976 of 8,051
  Stock they are weighty but have some brightness in the highs.  Nothing really peaky like a Beyer or some Hifimans.  Similar in tonality to HD6XX in the mids and slightly more treble above 10kHz, IMO not a bad thing.  Of course there is more bass than HD6XX but no mid bass bump and better sub bass.  With the Audeze pads these become seriously good sounding.  Better than most cans under $1000.

Thank you, that is very helpful and answers my question well.

Appreciate your expertise and great posts here.

Now eager for these to arrive !

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #977 of 8,051
No worries man!  I'm glad that there is finally a headphone out there that has a great sound at a resonable price.  It's a great counter to all of the ToTL headphones reaching for the stars.

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #978 of 8,051
  No worries man!  I'm glad that there is finally a headphone out there that has a great sound at a resonable price.  It's a great counter to all of the ToTL headphones reaching for the stars.

So I've been lusting after an HE-6. Could you possibly compare the 1060 directly to the HE-6 for me? It would be incredibly appreciated.

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #979 of 8,051
Hmm.. to buy the M1060, or stick with the HE400i for my planar and save up for either an LCD-x, 3, 4 or a Ether Flow.. Hope to hear more comparisons soon, enjoy your M1060 to all who ordered!

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #980 of 8,051
  So I've been lusting after an HE-6. Could you possibly compare the 1060 directly to the HE-6 for me? It would be incredibly appreciated.

Only buy an HE-6 if you plan on building a system exclusively for it, and/or speakers. I would get an M1060 w Audeze Vegan pads(can be used with great success on other headphones like the HE-400i etc and try it with the 30 day money back guarantee.  Buy from Monoprice directly.

Hmm.. to buy the M1060, or stick with the HE400i for my planar and save up for either an LCD-x, 3, 4 or a Ether Flow.. Hope to hear more comparisons soon, enjoy your M1060 to all who ordered!

I would take M1060 w Audeze Vegan pads over LCD XC, X, and maybe 2.  I haven't heard the others but with their history of driver failures I would try the M1060 with the 30 day money back guarantee and see if it jives with you.  Nothing to lose except shipping costs for a nice in home trial.

I hope others can chime in with impressions of M1060 with Audeze Vegan pads.  I feel like a broken record but I've heard a lot of headphones and this one is special, even more so do to cost. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #981 of 8,051
  Only buy an HE-6 if you plan on building a system exclusively for it, and/or speakers. I would get an M1060 w Audeze Vegan pads(can be used with great success on other headphones like the HE-400i etc and try it with the 30 day money back guarantee.  Buy from Monoprice directly.

I actually already ordered one on release day, and it should be here Thursday. As far as an amp for a potential HE-6, I have a Creatice x7 Limited that's incredibly great with speaker outs.

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #982 of 8,051

I would take M1060 w Audeze Vegan pads over LCD XC, X, and maybe 2.  I haven't heard the others but with their history of driver failures I would try the M1060 with the 30 day money back guarantee and see if it jives with you.  Nothing to lose except shipping costs for a nice in home trial.

I hope others can chime in with impressions of M1060 with Audeze Vegan pads.  I feel like a broken record but I've heard a lot of headphones and this one is special, even more so do to cost. 

Over the X and the 2? Wow, good to know! I wonder if it fills the gap between the he400i and lcd4.. I like that it's lighter than the lcd series, too, but the only downside I can see is literally what I can see - not a fan at all of the grill design on the M1060!

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #984 of 8,051
Day 3 impressions:
I'm liking the M1060 a lot. I think they'll become my primary for jazz and rock, bumping the K712s for the smoother treble (cymbals are less harsh, and the slight mid-treble peak sounds fine to me), less artificial soundstage, comparable mids, and better bass extension (not boomy at all). For classical/orchestral, I still prefer the HD600 for its detail.

I think these will be a keeper. I'm not sure what I'll do when the E-Mu Teak I have on order arrives, maybe they'll fill another niche...

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #985 of 8,051
  I actually already ordered one on release day, and it should be here Thursday. As far as an amp for a potential HE-6, I have a Creatice x7 Limited that's incredibly great with speaker outs.

X7 will power them but it won't be optimal at all.  

Amps that are supposed to be good with HE-6 are First Watt J2, Bryston 2B, Krell FPB 200 etc.  The trend is huge power supplies with usually class A design.  I've given up for now lol!  I'll probably try the Benchmark AHB2 sometime since it's supposed to be killer for HE-6 and speakers.  

Alternatively you can get a used power amp or vintage receiver that should do well with the HE-6 for the money.  I've used my vintage Pioneer Spec 2 power amp which is 250W @ 8 Ohms.  

I just want you to be aware that HE-6 is a rare, dying breed that needs a system carefully designed around it.  

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #986 of 8,051
  X7 will power them but it won't be optimal at all.  

Amps that are supposed to be good with HE-6 are First Watt J2, Bryston 2B, Krell FPB 200 etc.  The trend is huge power supplies with usually class A design.  I've given up for now lol!  I'll probably try the Benchmark AHB2 sometime since it's supposed to be killer for HE-6 and speakers.  

Alternatively you can get a used power amp or vintage receiver that should do well with the HE-6 for the money.  I've used my vintage Pioneer Spec 2 power amp which is 250W @ 8 Ohms.  

I just want you to be aware that HE-6 is a rare, dying breed that needs a system carefully designed around it.  

Understood, and thank you. Have you heard the HE-6 with the X7 or know someone who has?

But I guess it's kinda pointless to chase it. If the 1060 is as good as you claim, it'll be my large planar fix and other money can go towards an HD800

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #987 of 8,051
Thanks to all of this I plan to order the 1060's and the Audeze pads next week when I have the cash lol. This could literally be my dream headphone. Every TOTL I look at loose quality when you switch from pleather to velour pads, but I strongly prefer velour/soft fiber. For once that type of pads actually makes things better lol

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #990 of 8,051
  Understood, and thank you. Have you heard the HE-6 with the X7 or know someone who has?

But I guess it's kinda pointless to chase it. If the 1060 is as good as you claim, it'll be my large planar fix and other money can go towards an HD800

I haven't but many people were using the Emotiva A-100 with HE-500/HE-6 and it was strident and bright but had plenty of power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back