Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 27, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #961 of 8,051
  Got my M1060's coming to me Thursday. Not to beat the question to death, but I'm also wondering what the best combo would be. Should i get the Magni 2 Uber and the Modi 2 Uber ($300), or go full-on and buy the Jotunheim with the balanced DAC ($499). Is the Jot worth the extra money in the long run?

You'll need a balanced cable too with Jot, adding to cost. With the Modi2 you'll want the Multibit option increasing it's cost but should only need the Magni 2 unless you really need preamps out. A lot of people have been really happy with the Mimby (Modi2Multibit) and Jot (No DAC). 

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #962 of 8,051

​Withoout breaking the bank I would say shiit modi magni combo, probably best bang for the buck.

Will those power just about anything I would need to? 

A Magni 2 Uber and Modi Multibit are more then enough for my Hifiman 400i planars and should easily be fine for the M1060. Or almost anything else.That's $400 though, but TBH, a base Magni 2 and Modi 2 for $200 should be virtually as good for almost anyheadphone (but the upgraded versions make me happy).

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #963 of 8,051

A Magni 2 Uber and Modi Multibit are more then enough for my Hifiman 400i planars and should easily be fine for the M1060. Or almost anything else.That's $400 though, but TBH, a base Magni 2 and Modi 2 for $200 should be virtually as good for almost anyheadphone (but the upgraded versions make me happy).

Is the Modi and Magni a better choice than the topping A30/D30 combo? Amazon carries the Modi and Magni but one of them is out of stock until the 2nd, that's when my phones are supposed to show up. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #964 of 8,051

Is the Modi and Magni a better choice than the topping A30/D30 combo? Amazon carries the Modi and Magni but one of them is out of stock until the 2nd, that's when my phones are supposed to show up. 

Sorry, I can't comment on the Topping. Where are you shipping to? If you are in the US, I believe that the Schiit units are in stock on their site and they are very quick--I ordered the Magni 2 U and Mimby very early on a Wednesday, they shipped within hours and were delivered by Friday noon literally across the country (California to New Jersey) via USPS Priority. You'll pay $20 or so more per each unit on Amazon, so it will cost somewhat more even with free Prime shipping (the USPS Priority shipping from Schiit is about $28 to NJ).

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #965 of 8,051
The JET thing isn't much a big deal, or huge savings.

The max they will take off is $30 on an order but then they charge sales tax which negates a large chunk of that benefit (unless you are not in a state which sales tax is charged).

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #967 of 8,051
  Sorry, I can't comment on the Topping. Where are you shipping to? If you are in the US, I believe that the Schiit units are in stock on their site and they are very quick--I ordered the Magni 2 U and Mimby very early on a Wednesday, they shipped within hours and were delivered by Friday noon literally across the country (California to New Jersey) via USPS Priority. You'll pay $20 or so more per each unit on Amazon, so it will cost somewhat more even with free Prime shipping (the USPS Priority shipping from Schiit is about $28 to NJ).

Thanks for the heads up. It is actually about $25 cheaper through Schiit directly. It's about $212 from Schiit directly and $238 from Amazon. I  bought them. I've spent $500 in audio equipment in less than 3 days :'(.

Originally Posted by rpm604 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got a response from Schiit that the Fulla 2 should be able to power them fine. Some people here disagree, but the Fulla 2 starts at $99 and is a much smaller first step into the world of audiophilia!

I saw that, but someone on DMS3's Discord asked if he could try it with his Fulla 2, he did, and he said it loses some bass and depth. That has me a bit concerned. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #968 of 8,051
  I'd look at the Topping D30 DAC and the A30 amp.  I got a thread on the D30 over at the source forum.  As for the A30 amp, I would buy one if I didn't already have a bunch of amps sitting around.  The A30 puts out 1551mW at 32 ohm, so it's going to be over 1000mW for 50 ohm.  The components look really nice.  Together, they make a good looking stack.

Could you care to share the link to the D30 thread? I am considering getting one as well.

What about something like the SMSL M6? I'm just looking for something that'll work well for the M1060's without breaking the bank. I have a E10K and it's simply not going to cut it. 

I have a SMSL M6 that I'm using as a dedicated DAC right now. Will let you know how it works when the M1060 come in.

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #969 of 8,051
Buy direct from Monoprice.  It was $308 with next day SATURDAY shipping!

Do the same for Schiit products.  Modi Multibit and Vali 2 is hard to beat for under $1000.  Not kidding.

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #970 of 8,051
FYI, 

In my opinion, the M1060s are pretty efficient.  I have been using them with my Project Polaris and Vali 2 but I was able to power them reasonably loud directly with both my iPad mini and my Nexus 6 smartphone.

A headphone amp is obviously best, but you won't need ridiculous amounts of power to drive them.

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #972 of 8,051
FYI, 

In my opinion, the M1060s are pretty efficient.  I have been using them with my Project Polaris and Vali 2 but I was able to power them reasonably loud directly with both my iPad mini and my Nexus 6 smartphone.

A headphone amp is obviously best, but you won't need ridiculous amounts of power to drive them.

Man, that is cool, I really want someone to try a chrimecast audio with one still.

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #973 of 8,051
  The JET thing isn't much a big deal, or huge savings.

The max they will take off is $30 on an order but then they charge sales tax which negates a large chunk of that benefit (unless you are not in a state which sales tax is charged).

You're right, with those parameters it comes right back to $300.

So far, best deal seen coincides with when ebay decides to offer site-wide discounts (10 % ebay bucks last week for a couple days).

That deal or even coupon code deals on ebay are surprises when they appear unannounced & quickly end and need to act fast within hours sometimes (as 6 hour code sale) to get lucky.

Maybe an Amazon flash sale may even come up for M1060 sometime too, who knows.

This can help some folks decide if they are thinking it over, but the deals can't be planned ahead.

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #974 of 8,051
Still wondering about the high frequency reproduction on M1060, can folks weigh in who have them ?

Neutral or bright or warm or rolled off highs ?

And, these highs are most like what other models of headphones ?

Won't get to hear mine until this weekend for the first time.

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #975 of 8,051
Stock they are weighty but have some brightness in the highs, mids are very slightly recessed.  Nothing really peaky like a Beyer or some Hifimans.  Similar in tonality to HD6XX in the mids and slightly more treble above 10kHz, IMO not a bad thing.  Of course there is more bass than HD6XX but no mid bass bump and better sub bass.  With the Audeze pads these become seriously good sounding.  Better than most cans under $1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back