Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 27, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #871 of 8,051
  Absolutely.  These are very close to perfect now.  Imaging, and depth are vastly improved, and they weren't slouches to begin with.  They should have shipped with leather free versions of the pads.
Left

Right

Very nice! Those pads are velour right? Man this might be my dream can. I love the feel of velour pads but they kill bass response on alot of cans. Currently using the Focus-A pads on my HE-400S as it has velour on the part that comes in contact with your head lol. Could the Brainwavs angled velour pad possibly work? Or is it to small? Assuming the Audeze pad is really close in size? Thanks!

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #872 of 8,051
So I just ripped the pads off.  Pull them up a little and make sure you don't pull the protective cloth over the driver too.  Very easy.  It seems like the inside is just like the back side but with a thin cloth-like material instead.  Pad rolled with what I have available and my favorite so far is the Audeze Leather Free Pads.  They keep the same frequency response but smooth it out and add a touch more warmth with mid bass.  Technicalities also go way up.

Could you take a picture of the driver without pads?

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #873 of 8,051
It's a reverse of this image with no screws or wires, just the slots with a black cloth on top.  And it's flush with the sides for better mounting of the pads. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #874 of 8,051
How is the treble on the M1060's, are they bright or smooth? I hope it's not bright, because that be the last thing i want since I'm trying to move away from my HD700s.

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #878 of 8,051
You need a full size round pad for optimal results.  The Dekoni Elite Pad was in between stock and Audeze pads in terms of improvement and costs $60.  My biggest grip with Brainwavz pads are that they aren't circular.  You need as close to a perfect seal for the sub bass to be present.  The way that the pads are adhered is on the outside edge like Audeze pads and so you won't get a good seal where the Brainwavz pads taper in at the sides.  

It's really worth it to get them.  Think of it as a $400 headphone that competes with anything up to $1500.

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #879 of 8,051
  You need a full size round pad for optimal results.  The Dekoni Elite Pad was in between stock and Audeze pads in terms of improvement and costs $60.  My biggest grip with Brainwavz pads are that they aren't circular.  You need as close to a perfect seal for the sub bass to be present.  The way that the pads are adhered is on the outside edge like Audeze pads and so you won't get a good seal where the Brainwavz pads taper in at the sides.  

It's really worth it to get them.  Think of it as a $400 headphone that competes with anything up to $1500.

Thank you, I'll get a set ordered for when my M1060 arrive on Thursday.

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #882 of 8,051
Yeah, sorry.  This is personal preference but B&K curve is a great standard used for speaker tuning that is considered neutral.  I've made my measurement rig so headphones that follow this curve closely will sound neutral.  Whether people like the tuning us purely subjective.

I was just showing that a single EQ change gets the modded M1060 REALLY close to the B&K curve.

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #883 of 8,051
I still have no idea if mine are coming or not. I ordered them from Monoprice's Ebay on Friday, on Saturday people received theirs and I panicked about the connector issues, so I messaged Monoprice on Ebay requesting a cancellation.

It said I couldn't officially request to cancel the order, but that I could message and request one. Now it looks like that issue is easily resolved..so I don't know if I want to message again and request that they don't cancel the order or what lmao. gaaah. 

I guess it doesn't really matter if I received them or not, because worse case scenario I return them...but I just want to get my whole headphone situation squared away. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #885 of 8,051
  I bought mine 2:00am on Friday from Monoprice, paid ~$308, and had them in my hands on Saturday at 1.  

I bought mine from Monoprice's Ebay and it hasn't processed yet, showed the expected delivery as March 3rd. 

Does anybody who already has the headphones know if they are indeed harder to drive or not? I've gotten mixed responses about using them with the E10K. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back