Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 26, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #857 of 8,051
  Do you mean the headphone cable connection to the headphones. I don't think I would do that. I suppose you could but I have never heard of anyone doing that before. I would rather remove the current connector on the headphone and run a cable right up to the posts inside. Seems pretty straight forward and easy to access.
The specs on the Desktop amp only give a 32 and 300 ohm rating. It lists it at less than or equal to 900mw for 32 ohms and 150 mw for 300 ohms. I would imagine that at 50 ohms the power output would be well above the 200 mw minimum optimal spec for the M1060. If I had to guess the Monoprice amp outputs somewhere in the neighborhood of 700 mW at 50 ohms. The less than or equal to power spec on the Monoprice site is a little strange though, it's not very definitive.

Okay. Thanks.

Feb 26, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #858 of 8,051
Since this seems to be the best time to ask a dumb question…I can't look at the specs on my Emotiva XDA-2 and figure it the power equivalents. Will the M1060 be a bad pairing with my converter/headphone amp? My M1060 should be here Wednesday

Feb 26, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #860 of 8,051
I'm interested to see if the 1060 will be worth getting in addition to my HD6XX and perhaps the Emu Teaks

I can tell you I was strongly considering 1060's to replace my 6xx's and have decided to keep the HD6xx and just save up for a real headphone instead of continuing this mid-fi trend.

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #864 of 8,051
Have there been any pics with the pads off?

If theyr'e anything like the LCDs, I'm fairly certain I could make some pad adapters for them. I assume these would be popular for pad rolling if it were possible.

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #865 of 8,051

If theyr'e anything like the LCDs, I'm fairly certain I could make some pad adapters for them. I assume these would be popular for pad rolling if it were possible.

Does anyone know of a product to "eat" the glue, but not harm the pad itself? Wondering if something as dumb as nail polish remover on a Q-tip could do the job?

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #866 of 8,051
can't wait for the reviews to roll in. I'm interested in how these would pair with my chord mojo. we need more comparisons to hifiman, audeze and oppo's planars. for weeks I've been window shopping used LCD-2s, so I'm pretty excited that these have entered the fray. bold prediction: people begin dumping these for either the connection issue or they want $300 LCD-2s. modders find out how to get best bang out of them and monoprice Revision 2's them (hopefully) for the same price with better connectors. then they find a way to improve the 560s. this could spell trouble for the 1000 dollar market, might force the LCD-2 new down to like 700 or something. well, one could dream. the other, more likely scenario would be, audeze has no interest in de-valuing its current line. if it starts slashing prices then their products don't seem so much of a luxury anymore. however they might want to start listening to the comfort complaints as well.

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #867 of 8,051

Does anyone know of a product to "eat" the glue, but not harm the pad itself? Wondering if something as dumb as nail polish remover on a Q-tip could do the job?

How about using heat gun lightly to remove the glue as Grado fan does modding by removing glue from the earcup?

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #868 of 8,051
So I just ripped the pads off.  Pull them up a little and make sure you don't pull the protective cloth over the driver too.  Very easy.  It seems like the inside is just like the back side but with a thin cloth-like material instead.  Pad rolled with what I have available and my favorite so far is the Audeze Leather Free Pads.  They keep the same frequency response but smooth it out and add a touch more warmth with mid bass.  Technicalities also go way up.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #869 of 8,051
  So I just ripped the pads off.  Pull them up a little and make sure you don't pull the protective cloth over the driver too.  Very easy.  It seems like the inside is just like the back side but with a thin cloth-like material instead.  Pad rolled with what I have available and my favorite so far is the Audeze Leather Free Pads.  They keep the same frequency response but smooth it out and add a touch more warmth with mid bass.  Technicalities also go way up.

Does the 10k bump get less noticeable with the Audeze pads?  Nice to see the treble smoothing out a bit.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #870 of 8,051
Absolutely.  These are very close to perfect now.  Imaging, and depth are vastly improved, and they weren't slouches to begin with.  They should have shipped with leather free versions of the pads.
Left

Right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back