Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 26, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #812 of 8,051
Even tho i changed my mind on them, I can't stop thinking about them, as there the only headphones that I can think of that have that long of an warranty. That's what keeping me wanting to get them any way, Since I had an HE-500 years ago that drove me crazy with the SMC  twisting off on it own, I sure It can't be worst then that.

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #813 of 8,051
  Even tho i changed my mind on them, I can't stop thinking about them, as there the only headphones that I can think of that have that long of an warranty. That's what keeping me wanting to get them any way, Other wise I may switch to an R70X if I don't.

Well if you're a warranty-head go for the Koss 950. Unconditional Lifetime warranty. You can step on them 20 years from now and get a free replacement.

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #814 of 8,051
I was wondering. Is the Chromecast Audio powerful enough to drive these? I am looking to upgrade to planar magnetics from some Harman Kardon CL, but am really budget conscious.

Monoprice says optimal power for them is 200mw to 4 watts. I doubt the chromecast is enough to power them effectively. I think these would definitely require a decent amp.

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #815 of 8,051
No issues with my connectors.  Make sure you match the orientation when hooking them up.  

These are Chinese knock off of Audeze headphones.  Not a bad thing for $300!

Measurements:

I'm surprised that people are happy with the measurements. To Me it looks there is something very wrong with the headphones. There is a lot of ringing especially that 5khz is just insane.

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #816 of 8,051
  Well if you're a warranty-head go for the Koss 950. Unconditional Lifetime warranty. You can step on them 20 years from now and get a free replacement.

Gotta win the lotto first.

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #818 of 8,051
Monoprice says optimal power for them is 200mw to 4 watts. I doubt the chromecast is enough to power them effectively. I think these would definitely require a decent amp.

I can't find power specs on the CCA, all I know is that it is substantially more powerful than my cell phone. On its lowest not muted volume it is about equivalent to half volume on my galaxy S7.

also, I have read that it is capable of driving 600 ohm headphones.

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #820 of 8,051
I can't find power specs on the CCA, all I know is that it is substantially more powerful than my cell phone. On its lowest not muted volume it is about equivalent to half volume on my galaxy S7.

I can't find a mW spec, but I did find that the CCA has a 34.5 ohm output impedance and is 2 volts rms. Seems the output impedance would not match up well with the M1060. I suppose it would work but not ideally. It's worth a shot, but I would plan on getting an amp with these headphones if you don't have one already. 

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #821 of 8,051
I read somewhere that impedance matching is wasted on headphones is a non issue due to the relatively short length of wire involved. Whereas in l lines stretching many miles in length it becomes a far greater issue.

This all said, I would greatly appreciate someone trying the setup.

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #822 of 8,051
I can't find a mW spec, but I did find that the CCA has a 34.5 ohm output impedance and is 2 volts rms. Seems the output impedance would not match up well with the M1060. I suppose it would work but not ideally. It's worth a shot, but I would plan on getting an amp with these headphones if you don't have one already. 
planar headphones have flat impedance curve so you shouldn't have to worry about damping Factor.

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #823 of 8,051
planar headphones have flat impedance curve so you shouldn't have to worry about damping Factor.

I read somewhere that impedance matching is wasted on headphones is a non issue due to the relatively short length of wire involved. Whereas in l lines stretching many miles in length it becomes a far greater issue.

This all said, I would greatly appreciate someone trying the setup.

Yes, the impedance shouldn't be an issue, but I doubt a CCA can supply enough current to power these headphones well given Monoprice's 200mw to 4 watt optimal power spec. 

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #824 of 8,051
Ok really bad at electric calculations... but is this right?

I read that the CCA is 2 Vrms, and these headphones are 50 ohm.

So V/r=I... or 2 Volt/50ohm=0.04 Amp
P=IV... 2 Volt*0.04 Amp=0.08 Watt or 80 mW. Which is less than the minimum 200 mW requirement, and significantly less than the 4 Watt maximum.

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #825 of 8,051
I was wondering. Is the Chromecast Audio powerful enough to drive these? I am looking to upgrade to planar magnetics from some Harman Kardon CL, but am really budget conscious.

Check out the Hifiman 400S. They are planars that were designed to work with portable and lower power sources. I think it would be a better match for your Chromecast Audio and costs the same amount as the M1060.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back