Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jan 14, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #6,547 of 8,051
I think you're going to really enjoy these. I say this because I'm a drummer as well and these things just do drums and bass in a fantastic way (read ... they do 'funk' REALLY well :) ). I have used a number of different combos ... from my MacBook Pro and Fiio X5 as sources alone, and with Mojo, Asgard 2, tubes, and basically everything in my stable. I don't find them very picky really. That said, they are pretty damn good with the Mojo, which is my 'go to' amp/DAC combo with them. Looking forward to your own thoughts !!

They are killer for live music. About 75% of what I listen to is Grateful Dead live stuff and like you said the bass, drums and everything comes through really nicely in a great like your there stage presentation.

Jan 15, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #6,548 of 8,051
Can somebody compare them to Audaze EL-8? One has 5K ringing, the other has nasty dip at 7K. The reviews on both headphones are very different, people either love them or hate them. I'd really like to buy my first pair of planars, both of them are about 300 bucks right now. The EL-8 seems to isolate very well but if it sounds bad, then... Or should I wait for the M1060C or even rumored Meze planar? I'm really confused.

Jan 15, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #6,549 of 8,051
Can somebody compare them to Audaze EL-8? One has 5K ringing, the other has nasty dip at 7K. The reviews on both headphones are very different, people either love them or hate them. I'd really like to buy my first pair of planars, both of them are about 300 bucks right now. The EL-8 seems to isolate very well but if it sounds bad, then... Or should I wait for the M1060C or even rumored Meze planar? I'm really confused.
The best way ... the ONLY way really, is buy and try them. If you don't like them, do a return. If you can get away with just paying the return shipping, consider it a cheap 'rental'. If you've read any 10 pages of this thread you'll realize that the reactions are so varied on these cans that the only way you'll know is to have a set on your head.

Jan 15, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #6,552 of 8,051
my vote is for the EL-8 open but since mine is one of the original from 2014 I wouldn't put much weight on my impressions. FWIW I've tried 2 M1060 and didn't like either so I'd do as @fpantalone noted, just get them and pay for the return shipping on the one that you don't like.

Jan 15, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #6,553 of 8,051
Blaming it squarely on extremely long travel days Friday/Saturday ... Uber, planes, trains, and buses. Ughhh :)

Bah, now I'm gonna have to watch that movie again! Rest In Peace, John Candy.

"Those aren't pillows!!"

Jan 15, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #6,554 of 8,051
OK, I just did the fuzzor mod on my m1060, I'm still using the stock pads, I'm also using the paper towel mod from cskippy. And my thoughts are.... WOW, the treble is much more smooth and less peaky, I had one side with it and the other side without it, I could defiantly tell a difference, the side without it had this post echo ring sound to it, the side with the fuzzor mod sounded less hallow. I would defiantly recommend the fuzzor mod to anybody who is curious.

Jan 15, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #6,555 of 8,051
So interesting how different persons impressions of the M1060 are in relation to the HD650 and other headphones. I'm thinking that is it possible the QC of the M1060 that bad that there is this much variance between units to cause these very different impressions? or is it our past experience with headphones owned?, genres that one prefers?, support gear (DACs & amps) and one hearing?, a combination of all of these?. The M1060 have been described as a cheap LCD-2, an upgrade to the HD650, boring and lifeless (IMO), a modders dream, and a few others. As much as I enjoy modding it usually starts with a headphone that is good stock and modding takes it to another level, I've seen some that say the mods are need for the M1060 to sound good and then lately there are few that say it sounds great stock. The 2 that I've heard were pretty much the same sounding, boring and lifeless and to me better fit the definition of a "veiled" sound where the HD650 is not "veiled" but rolled off in the treble.

I'd just add that, based on the headphones you have recommended to me, you tend to like treble energy whereas the treble on the M1060 is a bit recessed, which I think would sound boring and lifeless to you. As I've said many times here I don't like the M1060 with all music but I prefer it to my HE560 for music where I want a darker, warmer yet still crisp sound.

Let me take one pop song that almost everybody knows as an example: In the Air Tonight (Phil Collins). While it renders the synths really well on a technical level, my HE560 totally sucks the brooding atmosphere out of the song. When Collins's voice comes in, there is no heft to it. He sounds too light and bright. All recessed. Then I put the M1060s on. Immediately it becomes the dark and brooding song it's supposed to be. It is all atmosphere, especially when the drums kick in. The sound is bigger, fuller, all-encompassing. I can also turn the volume up without the treble getting annoying (though the upper mids are a little too bright).

The same is true with a lot of Prince records. With Jay-Z. With B-52's "Rock Lobster." Siouxsie and the Banshees. Michael Jackson's Thriller album (not that I'm a fan of all that music, just stating from a sonic perspective). All that stuff sounds kinda small and cute on the HE400i and HE560 but totally big, fun and engaging on the M1060.

ON THE OTHER HAND, classical, jazz, and other types of music sounds just the opposite: sort of boring, hollow, and lifeless. I cannot fully account for the huge difference in how it handles different genres. Of course, some jazz sounds good on the M1060 as well. A lot depends on how it was recorded. For instance, I was talking about the ECM label and how good their jazz recordings sound on the HE560. But if I listen to them with the M1060 it sounds just as you describe: boring and lifeless.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back