Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jun 19, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #4,561 of 8,051
1060DMSmod.jpg
So DMS (DMS Youtube Channel) turned me onto this mod to alleviate the 5K ringing. It works perfectly !! Vegan pads. I'm also running with no foam, no P Towel on the outside of the cans, under the grilles. Creatolgy mod. A bit of work but so well worth it. Also using a Mojo, Awesome pairing.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #4,562 of 8,051
Nicely done! I remember doing the Jerg Fuzzor mod for my HE-500 and HE-6. It seemed like it made an improvement in the sound but measurements didn't really show a change and then one day I took it off and was like huh, it's not that different, maybe a touch brighter? Anyways, not discounting this mod, people should experiment and I could see it possible helping the ringing, although it would make more sense on the inside (impossible though).

Jun 20, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #4,563 of 8,051
V2 sounds same as V1. I sold my 1060 to keep my HE-500. Mids on 1060 do not compare to the HE-500 IMO. The HE-500 is on another level for mids, better than basically anything else I've heard.

It will also be a matter of taste. HE-500 is a brighter headphone with more treble emphasis/sparkle, 1060 is warmer. My preference is the He-500, but it doesn't mean yours would be too. Amp choice will also make a difference, I think the HE-500 benefits more from a good high current amp.

Both cans are very good but their sound signatures are different.

Why did you end up selling your HE-500? I thought they were your favorite cans.

Jun 20, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #4,564 of 8,051
For example, they still sound pretty darn good and are much lighter than the 1060. If you're not into a heavy pair of cans, then you might prefer the 400i. I would say their lightness makes the 400i more comfortable. They seem to clamp harder than the 1060, but I find that the pressure is more evenly distributed. On the other hand, while they are heavier, the 1060 has thicker pads to soften the blow. By the way, what makes them lighter also makes the 400i feel a little cheap and plasticky.

Mod m1060 and make them head pillows.

http://c.b1yt.com/h.Q04iAE?cv=wkjIZCllB9X&sm=929462

TB2.cVQpHVkpuFjSspcXXbSMVXa_!!30628406.jpg_450x10000q50s150.jpg_.webp

IMG_20170611_155220_zpsawdmoxoy.jpg

Hamster

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #4,565 of 8,051
I've been looking at the Nighthawk. Is it as dark as it sounds? Very curious about those headphones

I didn't find them dark at all, just more relaxed and non-fatiguing. Listened to them through mye phone and through a Dragonfly Black. Liked them through my phone better. The Dragonfly brought out some more of the highs, but really nothing else. Would probably sound even better with a better amp.

That being said, I prefer the m1060's by a large margin.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #4,566 of 8,051
Brahmsian
My local Best Buy has the brands that you listed in a section on the main floor; and the better headphones in the Magnolia high end room in the back of the store. I saw B&W, Sennheiser, and Denon back there. Maybe yours does as well...
:wink:
Will investigate this next time I visit. I asked a floor representative if that was all the headphones they had and he said yes, but maybe he was wrong. Thanks.

Jun 20, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #4,567 of 8,051
So DMS (DMS Youtube Channel) turned me onto this mod to alleviate the 5K ringing. It works perfectly !! Vegan pads. I'm also running with no foam, no P Towel on the outside of the cans, under the grilles. Creatolgy mod. A bit of work but so well worth it. Also using a Mojo, Awesome pairing.

Cool! But no foam? Won't there be dust buildup on the driver?

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #4,571 of 8,051
Would the STOCK M1060's be for me if i am looking for an open and somewhat smooth and warm sound with good bass? (Mostly listening to Electronic and Pop) I already have the PSB M4U 1 for neutrality. My only worry is that they will be too bright with the 5k rinking/peak that some hear, as i am a bit sensitive to treble/sibilance. Also, would the Schiit Stack 2 (Non Uber) be a good pairing? The NFB-11.28 is out of my budget.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #4,572 of 8,051
My only worry is that they will be too bright with the 5k rinking/peak that some hear, as i am a bit sensitive to treble/sibilance. Also, would the Schiit Stack 2 (Non Uber) be a good pairing?
The so called 5K ringing may be more dependent on the shape of individual ears and how sound reflects off them than how the stock pad actually sound. For the love of everything good, I tried hard for many hours to listen for it, but couldn't hear a thing. May it is just me and and a good 80% - 90% of the owners of the headphone. A couple of my musician friends got together with me and found that they are in the same boat when it comes to the 5K ringing. We agreed though that with the vagan pad, the sound loses its punch a bit and sound less detailed. I haven't tried the Audeze leather pads, but for now I'm sticking with the stock pads over the vagans.
My setup is a simple Mimby+Magni2 (non uber). Low gain and 11 o' clock is usually enough for me. Pairing with a darker amp like a Matrix M-stage HPA2 gives a more retrained performance in the upper treble, sacrificing a touch of the airiness, but increases the quantity of the sub bass (haven't listened enough to say if the bass quality/texture improves as well or not).
Because of the fast planar driver, I prefer the M1060 for drum and bass/j-core over THX00/TH900. It also takes eq quite well. But it is at Jazz/prog metal where this really shines.

Jun 21, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #4,573 of 8,051
1)To add to this, Schiit even mentions on their own website that USB has issues,

2) particularly USB 3 ports. I think most people try to avoid USB when possible with Schiit products.

1) Schiit products have issues with USB or USB has audio issues in general?

2) Does that mean USB 3 ports are worse for audio than USB 2 and, again, is that in general or just Schiit? Both USB 2 and 3 have very fast data transfer rates. 3 is much faster: 480Mbps for 2 and 5Gbps for 3. I use a USB 2 port to plug my DragonFly Red into.

While we're on the topic, how about USB-C? Everything I have read says it's great for audio. Since I'm going to buy a new MacBook, I was looking at the different models, mostly at the Air because it retains a USB A port (and SD card slot). If I get the MacBook Pro it looks like I'll have to use an adapter to plug the DaragonFly into, and I just don't like the idea. I should probably take this to the DragonFly thread though.

Brahmsian
My local Best Buy has the brands that you listed in a section on the main floor; and the better headphones in the Magnolia high end room in the back of the store. I saw B&W, Sennheiser, and Denon back there. Maybe yours does as well...
:wink:
As luck would have it an errand took me right by Best Buy, and I stopped in to take a look. Yup, they had a bunch more headphones in that studio section, though they didn't have the NightHawk, which is the one I wanted to hear. It's hard to judge at Best Buy with all the noise, but I walked out of there not wanting any of those headphones and happier than ever with the HE-400i and M1060.

Jun 21, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #4,574 of 8,051
USB has issues in general. It's due to how data is transmitted and received. Error checking and things like that aren't as good plus there is generally higher jitter on USB plus other awful computer power issues. SPDIF is almost always better. Just an FYI, I have a 2016 Macbook Pro and it's literally unusable with USB for audio. I had to put the Wyrd in the chain to make it sound like anything resembling audio.

Jun 21, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #4,575 of 8,051
Your going to love the E-MU Teaks. Grab the Dekoni TH-X00 Massdrop Sheepskin earpads the next time they drop. I'm so satisfied with the TH-X00 and Dekoni TH-X00 pads without attenuation ring I'm contemplating selling the M1060 and haven't used the HE-6 in a couple days now. Being closed back they also allow me to listen at lower volumes preserving my hearing.

Oh no, selling your M1060? What has the world come to! #M1060armageddon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back