Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jun 11, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #4,441 of 8,051
Your comment on the choice between M1060 and HE400i pretty much made my interest in M1060 go much lower since I already have the HE400i, HE560, LCD-2f, HD800 and a few others.

The HD650 is not dark IMO, I would consider them to be warm and I've never heard a "veil" on them, I think the use of the term "veiled" is miss used for warm by many or maybe due to a lack of sparkle in the upper frequencies. The source and amp does play a larger role in how the HD600/HD650 sounds, comparable to the difference the DAC/amp choices makes with the HD800/S, HE560, T1 and HD700. Headphones like the HE400i and LCD-2f do not seem to be affected as much by DAC/amp choices IMO. The NIghhawk is one of the few headphones that I would consider "dark" but its a little strange because there is a bit of high frequency energy that can be sibilant to a few, its like the HD600 is sibilant and harsh to me due to the peak at 4-5khz where headphones like the HD800/700 have peaks in the 6-7khz which don't bother me so its really a individual thing as to what is considered sibilant/harsh. The older LCD-2.2 and older might be considered "veiled" but I would say that they are warm and lack the sparkle in the upper frequencies unlike the newer Fazor versions which has some sparkle.

Oh you should definitely read this /r/headphones subreddit thread. He compares HE-500 and LCD-2 to stock M1060. TL;DR is that the stock M1060 was ok, but just not in the same league as the others, though admits he can see the potential in them and that mods could probably raise them up. But the point is he already owns 2 better planars that do similar things, so it just doesn't make sense to keep the M1060. I think even @cskippy admitted the stock M1060 isn't better than HE-500, though modding gets them at a similar level. I also don't think anyone has really said that M1060 is absolutely better than LCD-2 (except for comfort), just that it is close enough and much cheaper that it might be a better value. So if you already own LCD-2 and are happy with them, it doesn't seem like adding M1060 would do anything for you? And with the other headphones you already own, it isn't clear where the M1060 would fit in for you and what they would be better at than your other cans.

Jun 11, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #4,443 of 8,051
That mod looks amazing! Do you find it completely changes the comfort level? Does not having the suspension band change how the weight feels?

Thanks! It's been day and night. With stock head band I used to wish there was one more click for me to push upward and the bumps gave me hotspots. Now it feels like fluffy hamster lying on fluffy, freshly changed apple wood beddings, and the phones don't wobble now, much sturdier. Thicker band add-on is mandatory. Without it they are just metal and leather. Imagine the rape your head gonna get.

Hamster

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #4,444 of 8,051
Oh you should definitely read this /r/headphones subreddit thread. He compares HE-500 and LCD-2 to stock M1060. TL;DR is that the stock M1060 was ok, but just not in the same league as the others, though admits he can see the potential in them and that mods could probably raise them up. But the point is he already owns 2 better planars that do similar things, so it just doesn't make sense to keep the M1060. I think even @cskippy admitted the stock M1060 isn't better than HE-500, though modding gets them at a similar level. I also don't think anyone has really said that M1060 is absolutely better than LCD-2 (except for comfort), just that it is close enough and much cheaper that it might be a better value. So if you already own LCD-2 and are happy with them, it doesn't seem like adding M1060 would do anything for you? And with the other headphones you already own, it isn't clear where the M1060 would fit in for you and what they would be better at than your other cans.
I think the only fair comparison is to the HE400S, which is the same price as the M1060.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #4,445 of 8,051
@Tysun
Tell me.. does this new headband mod keep them from going as small as stock? You see, I have a small head and I'm only on the 3rd or 4th notch and that's where they fit for me. There are some HPs that don't even go small enough for me. I have to add a knitted cover or something to get them where they fit and are comfortable. These actually go smaller than I think any HP I've ever had.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #4,446 of 8,051
I own a Jot, so can use either SE or Balanced. There is a LARGE volume change switching between SE and XLR on Jot, which can falsely register as greater quality.

I'm not convinced there's an increase in quality with XLR.....but since I CAN use either, I'll choose XLR when possible to satisfy my "just in case" OCD....

So yes, the M1060 cable I got from Lindsay is MMCX -> XLR :)

I tend to agree. Balanced was meant for studios with long runs and much more potential for interference. Sitting at my desk I doubt there will be much of a benefit.

Balanced AMP tend to deliver more power in balanced mode that and confirmation bias I believe are responsible for the whole, "balanced is better" thing (let's not even talk cables and lossless :astonished: ).

Jun 11, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #4,447 of 8,051
@Tysun
Tell me.. does this new headband mod keep them from going as small as stock? You see, I have a small head and I'm only on the 3rd or 4th notch and that's where they fit for me. There are some HPs that don't even go small enough for me. I have to add a knitted cover or something to get them where they fit and are comfortable. These actually go smaller than I think any HP I've ever had.
@rgmffn I can't speak for you as I max out headband adjustment in most of my HPs but at the smallest I think it can fit a kid. The band is metal so you can also adjust how wide or narrow you want it to be. Stock seems like trash when compared to this.

Side note, you lose the ability to fold flat with this mod unless you grind some part of the hinge off, which you can if you want to and have the tools.

Hamster

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #4,448 of 8,051

I like many headphones for their different sound signatures and how they present a track, I'm not one looking for neutral/natural, the most details or the best sound stage, I just like listening to various genres of music and to have it presented to me in various ways with different headphones. There are a few headphones that I've sold only because it was similar enough to another headphone that I have or the sound was just bad to me. I've sold my HD600 since its easily bettered by my custom Ypislon R1 driver build and also due to the spike at 4-5khz that bothered me at times. Also sold Fidelio X1 since the bass was just a little too muddy (HD650 is close enough to me), gave away SHP-9500 (too bright and thin sounding), gave away HD-598 (also too bright and thin sounding), and a few others along the way. While I like the sound of the LCD-2f they are just too heavy for long listening sessions and I like the sound signature of my EL8-open a little better along with the slightly better comfort.

Jun 12, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #4,449 of 8,051
Honestly, I quite liked the HE-400i. For my purposes, that would have been the closest fit for me. I know they are often new for $220-250, and at that price they are a steal. I would probably say stock 400i vs stock M1060, I would take the 400i, especially for being cheaper. Even modded M1060 is like $375+ with shipping and pads (which might be impossible to get now) so it would even be hard for me to recommend them over the 400i. I think they are better, but exactly how money worth is a tough call.
Is 400i has same driver size like the 1060?

Jun 12, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #4,450 of 8,051
Jun 12, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #4,451 of 8,051
I think the only fair comparison is to the HE400S, which is the same price as the M1060.

I am really interested in this comparison, I'm about to sell my HE-400S to get the iSine 10 and a Oppo HA-2 but I'm a bit concerned after the DMS3 TV Review saying vocal presence is bad and not intimate.

I love listening to every fine detail the music can offer, not sure if the iSine can deliver that.

Jun 12, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #4,452 of 8,051
I am really interested in this comparison, I'm about to sell my HE-400S to get the iSine 10 and a Oppo HA-2 but I'm a bit concerned after the DMS3 TV Review saying vocal presence is bad and not intimate.

I love listening to every fine detail the music can offer, not sure if the iSine can deliver that.

But really, in what situation is the iSine's worth buying? They are $400, don't look good, leak sound, sound worse than other open planars that can deliver better sound at a lower price, and aren't the most comfortable. You would have to be in a quiet room to really enjoy them, and in that scenario, why not just have a full size headphone? Having a portable open headphone is not ideal imo, as there are no scenarios where they really shine. A good quality IEM can be used everywhere, and full sized headphones can be used when you really want to just liten to music.
If you want spacial awareness when walking outside etc (that's the only scenario I see the iSine being a "good" buy), the VE monk plus is great at $5, and they will give you all the detail, just no bass.

Jun 12, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #4,453 of 8,051
But really, in what situation is the iSine's worth buying? They are $400, don't look good, leak sound, sound worse than other open planars that can deliver better sound at a lower price, and aren't the most comfortable. You would have to be in a quiet room to really enjoy them, and in that scenario, why not just have a full size headphone? Having a portable open headphone is not ideal imo, as there are no scenarios where they really shine. A good quality IEM can be used everywhere, and full sized headphones can be used when you really want to just liten to music.
If you want spacial awareness when walking outside etc (that's the only scenario I see the iSine being a "good" buy), the VE monk plus is great at $5, and they will give you all the detail, just no bass.

Well, I plan to use them basically at my office and at home. When I'm in my office there are plenty of space between me and my colleagues so a little leakage won't be an issue, and they don't leak a lot unless you're blasting music on them, which I don't really do while working. Today I use my Shure SE215 but sometimes my boss calls me and I can't hear it properly and the Shure's lack a bit in detail. If I could have a sound quality on par or better to my HE400S when I'm in my workstation I'm a happy man.

Unfortunatelly for me I don't have a lot of time to be at home so my HE400S are not being used as much as I would like, so the idea of having a portable headphone that delivers an outstanding sound quality (as the rumor say) is very appealing

Jun 12, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #4,454 of 8,051
Well, I plan to use them basically at my office and at home. When I'm in my office there are plenty of space between me and my colleagues so a little leakage won't be an issue, and they don't leak a lot unless you're blasting music on them, which I don't really do while working. Today I use my Shure SE215 but sometimes my boss calls me and I can't hear it properly and the Shure's lack a bit in detail. If I could have a sound quality on par or better to my HE400S when I'm in my workstation I'm a happy man.

Unfortunatelly for me I don't have a lot of time to be at home so my HE400S are not being used as much as I would like, so the idea of having a portable headphone that delivers an outstanding sound quality (as the rumor say) is very appealing

yeah if you can justify the pricetag, go for it :) But if you haven't tried them yet, get a pair of VE monk plus too, I have them and the SE215, and the SE215 sounds like garbage in comparison... so muddy and no soundstage at all. If you like the Monks, you can always upgrade to the VE Zen's, which are supposed to sound even more amazing, but they are $150..
but let's end this here, this is a m1060/m560 thread, you will get plenty of help in other threads I'm sure :)

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #4,455 of 8,051
yeah if you can justify the pricetag, go for it :) But if you haven't tried them yet, get a pair of VE monk plus too, I have them and the SE215, and the SE215 sounds like garbage in comparison... so muddy and no soundstage at all.
but let's end this here, this is a m1060/m560 thread, you will get plenty of help in other threads I'm sure :)

I actually have the monks too, they are pretty good too. I was about to get the M1060 but the iSine caught my attention, specially after watching Zeos Review

Users who are viewing this thread

Back