Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 21, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #2,911 of 8,051
Monoprice site is saying they are expecting headphones in stock today the "21st". We will see. Anxious to get my replacement pair. Had my first pair for three weeks and loved them. Hopefully, this pair will be with me for the long haul.

Eh, yesterday it said, "ETA: 4/20/2017" . So, I don't think it's a good metric. We shall see....

Apr 21, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #2,912 of 8,051

I just received some used 400s cans today. I was hoping that with the HM5 Brainwavz pads they would come close enough to the 1060's I returned. Nope. Very nice overall, actually better for the most part I think ... but not the low end of the 1060. Going up for sale.  

Yeah, I've never been interested in the 400S, as they are said to be planars that don't have that planar bass. Eh, what's the point?

Apr 21, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #2,914 of 8,051
I can confirm it sounded excellent with my LCD 2.2's. Also great with my he400i's with audeze vegan pads. Also great with my JH-13's and my HD650's. Very versatile amp, lot like the vali 2. Tubes do make a difference, the stock was total garbage and the golden lion I replaced it with made it fantastic. The built in dac is very nice as well. Unfortunately, this doesn't even answer your question about the monolith but I tried
smily_headphones1.gif

Interesting. Thanks for the input! I was also researching it last night and someone said it paired very well with their T20-RP MK III which is the big reason why I need it. It is a really good price so I may snag the TA-01 just to play around. Worst case scenario (if it sounds worse than my Bravo Audio Ocean) is I will just use it at work instead of my E10K. It might, however, not be a good fit for the M1060 because that's already a warm 'phone but we will see. 
dt880smile.png

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #2,917 of 8,051
That is one thing that has always bugged me.  Don't ever make promises you can't keep, such as release dates that fall through.  It's FAR better be conservative, and say it's going to be a month before they're in stock, then when they do come in stock push the release date up and customers will be ecstatic. 

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #2,918 of 8,051
  That is one thing that has always bugged me.  Don't ever make promises you can't keep, such as release dates that fall through.  It's FAR better be conservative, and say it's going to be a month before they're in stock, then when they do come in stock push the release date up and customers will be ecstatic. 

100% 

Setting a date and failing to deliver negatively impacts Monoprice's image and gives customers the impression that their ETA's don't really mean anything.  Under-promise and over-deliver is the way to go.

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #2,919 of 8,051

100% 

Setting a date and failing to deliver negatively impacts Monoprice's image and gives customers the impression that their ETA's don't really mean anything.  Under-promise and over-deliver is the way to go.

ETA means Estimated. I am sure they are really close to the shipment hitting their warehouse. They will move a date a week or two out if they aren't going to make their ETA. They just did this for last week's missed ETA. If you want a pair, they will be hitting very soon, I would be shocked if not later tonight or tomorrow. Worst case they will bump the date out again. This is exactly what happened with the first batch, don't be surprised if it hits later tonight (they are in California). 

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #2,921 of 8,051

Interesting. Thanks for the input! I was also researching it last night and someone said it paired very well with their T20-RP MK III which is the big reason why I need it. It is a really good price so I may snag the TA-01 just to play around. Worst case scenario (if it sounds worse than my Bravo Audio Ocean) is I will just use it at work instead of my E10K. It might, however, not be a good fit for the M1060 because that's already a warm 'phone but we will see. 
dt880smile.png

I'm pretty it won't be too warm, especially if you use a clear tube.  The gold lion is very clear.  When I would switch to my fiio x3 with any headphones, I would always be shocked by the clarity of the TA-01.  I would call it a little warm.  I'm talking about using the TA-01 amp/dac combo.  Another tube (if compatible) would be the RCA 6CG7 clear top or black plate (I'm pretty sure they're compatible).  I used this with my Valhalla 2 and it cleared things up quite nicely.  

CAVEAT: The Xduoo has had problems with quality control.  Be prepared to test right away to see if there are problems.  I think massdrop is good about replacements.  That said, mine has been rock solid for about 3 years now.  

Welcome to Chi-fi.  Sorry about your wallet (if you have to send it back to China for repairs).  

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #2,922 of 8,051
I'll get the fulla 2 then. I like the concept of schiit products and the quality they seem to offer for the price.

You wont regret it. I just got my Fulla 2 today and sounds amazing. It does lack on the low side but it drives the M1060 with no problems... I tried the HE-560 and its a whole different story! It couldn't drive them... My left driver crackle and heard all kinds of weird noises... Big no no... LOL

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #2,923 of 8,051

Yeah I saw the schiit fulla 2 reviews and are positive, but i saw this article http://www.verumsonus.com/100-dacamp-shootout/ and he said this: "For example, someone preferring a slightly warmer signature and looking for an amplifier to pair with planar magnetic headphones, I would likely recommend the MDA (monoprice dac amp).  For someone with a dynamic headphone looking for a more balanced signature, I would likely recommend the Fulla 2."

I know that this is always subjetive, but I like the idea of a warmer sound and maybe not that flat like the fulla 2 (that says this article)

Dunno :/

I would like to order from the forum, but it is hard for me, I'm from Argentina and I usuarlly order on amazon or trusted sellers to a deposit of a contact who then gets the stuff to my country.

I have both the Fulla 2 and the Magni 2 (it's my Too Full of Schiit stack). The Fulla 2 will power it just fine. The Magni 2 has a lot more power though and will give you a slightly more full sounding listen. I use the Fulla 2 as the DAC for my Magni 2 now, but I'd be content with just the Fulla 2.

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #2,924 of 8,051
Modi 2 Multibit and Magni 2 uber or Jot is approaching endgame sound quality for well under a grand.  An easy recommendation.  

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #2,925 of 8,051

ETA means Estimated. I am sure they are really close to the shipment hitting their warehouse. They will move a date a week or two out if they aren't going to make their ETA. They just did this for last week's missed ETA. If you want a pair, they will be hitting very soon, I would be shocked if not later tonight or tomorrow. Worst case they will bump the date out again. This is exactly what happened with the first batch, don't be surprised if it hits later tonight (they are in California). 

Yeah, but a few days back after missing the 4/17 date it being pushed to 4/24... then some how to 4/20, now 4/21, and I assume tomorrow 4/22. Why not leave it at 4/24? Well, at least until 4/24.

Not a big deal to me. Had a check com in I was going to use for the M1060. But it was made out incorrectly and had to contact them to correct and reissue. So I won't have the money right away. ;(

I don't mind if it takes an additional week or two. Just fix the build issues, I live in Florida and cracking wood worries me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back