Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 6, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #2,641 of 8,051
  Regarding the updates on the next batch, I got the following email from monoprice today:

"The upcoming batch should have the issue resolved. We took the feedback very seriously and have been in contact with the manufacturer to see the problem fixed.

Regards,
Michael Ames
Technical Support Associate"

This is good news!!

"The issue"?

Which issue. There are several.

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #2,642 of 8,051
I'm hoping it's the wood cracking.  That's the biggest issue, and that shouldn't happen.  Next issue would be headband, as your headphone shouldn't fall apart.  Period.  Last issue is cable, as I personally haven't had an issue with it, and others with issues have either done the tweezers fix or bought an aftermarket cable and haven't had issues since.  

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #2,643 of 8,051

HD650, given the stock sound of the M1060 and the QC issues, everyone should own a HD650 at least once, it is the yardstick of headfi. You would most likely want more amp though, with either choice.

Can't go wrong with the HD650. Took me way too long to get my own pair.

There's a reason they're so well loved here and have stood up to the test of time.

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #2,644 of 8,051

"The issue"?

Which issue. There are several.

My thought too, it would be nice if they ellaborated on which issues they will fix for the next batch here or on the site, but I think it's definitely the wood cracking and connection issues that will be resolved. Those are the most important ones and had the most complaints. These were unacceptable imo and when they'll get fixed you would get a real good pair of headphones for the price. I'll put the cskippy paper towel mod and I'm golden.

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #2,645 of 8,051
Maybe we can make a definitive list of issues and send it to them several times. Or post it here. I know of 4 or 5 so far if you include the sharp grill.

Headband breaking
Cracked wood due to lack of finish/oil
Mmcx connectors cutting in and out
Non removeable pads
Sharp grill

Feel free to help.

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #2,646 of 8,051

Can't go wrong with the HD650. Took me WAY too long to get my own pair.

There's a reason they're so well loved here and have stood up to the test of time.

I was sort of asking about this earlier when I first started off the M1060 vs HD650 questions, but assuming QC issues are resolved in the future, is there any reason you would prefer using the HD650 over M1060 if they have a similar signature, but M1060 seems to be better in every way? I have the HD650 now and would like to get the M1060, but wonder if it's worth keeping the HD650's in that case? I'm curious if anyone owns both M1060 and HD600 and whether the HD600 would better complement the M1060 better?

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #2,647 of 8,051
You can decide when you get them. For one, comfort on HD650 is better. That alone is enough to keep the 650 for me. They do have a similar sound generally speaking, warm tilt with forward midrange and smooth treble.

However, hd650 is just totally non-fatiguing and easy to listen to. While 1060 is not a fatiguing headphone, I would say it has more of a tendency to be than the 650, depending on how you mod it.

650 is like that comfortable, well worn in shoe that you go to because it's so comfortable. Bigger and better things can come along that beat it in some respects, but you will still go and grab those old shoes vs. newer pairs even when they do certain things better.

The 650 is an excellent all rounder headphone that always sounds good, non-fatiguing, and whose comfort is at the very top.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #2,648 of 8,051
I agree that the HD650 provides a more fatigue free listen.  Clamp is actually really strong with HD650 brand new, so much so that I would get headaches.  I followed other peoples advice and extended the cups as far as they would go, exposing the spring steel.  You can then gently but firmly pulse the metal the opposite direction, straightening it out a bit, until you reach the desired clamping force.  They are a lot more comfortable now but I still rank my modded M1060 and HE-6 as more comfortable as they distribute the weight better on top of my head. 

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #2,649 of 8,051
650 is like that comfortable, well worn in shoe that you go to because it's so comfortable. Bigger and better things can come along that beat it in some respects, but you will still go and grab those old shoes vs. newer pairs even when they do certain things better.

The 650 is an excellent all rounder headphone that always sounds good, non-fatiguing, and whose comfort is at the very top.

Hah that's actually a great perspective and a different view I hadn't considered. From that I can see why it can be nice to have both. Now it just comes down to if Monoprice really comes through on this future batch of M1060's. 

Apr 6, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #2,650 of 8,051
Took a few days, but I finally read through the entire thread. Z's review and sound demo got me interested, but going through this thread made me VERY interested. Definitely want to get in on the new batch coming out soon and these look like a great base for modding...(want to change the headband to real leather, headband adjustment mechanism to custom 3D printed design that would use a detent pin, 'cups' to custom 3D printed ones designed with better connector system integrated in and better engineered hinge points and easy pad attachment system, and custom 3D printed grilles that are more open.

Basically, the only thing that would remain original on it would be the drivers and metal headband. Still waiting on the 3D printer kit I've been wanting ( Prusa i3 Mark II, newly updated S version!) to get to be not so backlogged, but these M1060's would be the perfect project for getting acquainted with it once I do eventually get it. I'll just do the cskippy mod and probably take off the sharp grille edges and paint the grilles once I get them in while waiting for the 3D printer to become available. Sound wise, they seem to be very in line with what I like in a headphone based on a few posters here who have similar tastes in headphones. My TH-X00 Purplehearts and modded SHP9500 are my favorite cans. The Monolith M1060 should buy some time for the STAX SR-L500 I eventually would like to get.

Apr 6, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #2,651 of 8,051
Definitely going to grab a pair of the M1060's after watching Z reviews and following this forum! And will definitely be applying the mod. Second batch here we come!

Apr 6, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #2,654 of 8,051
I was sort of asking about this earlier when I first started off the M1060 vs HD650 questions, but assuming QC issues are resolved in the future, is there any reason you would prefer using the HD650 over M1060 if they have a similar signature, but M1060 seems to be better in every way? I have the HD650 now and would like to get the M1060, but wonder if it's worth keeping the HD650's in that case? I'm curious if anyone owns both M1060 and HD600 and whether the HD600 would better complement the M1060 better?

I own HD 650's, HD 600's and owned M1060's. I returned the Monolith's but enjoyed them immensely and have a replacement pair coming when they become available.
First off I love them all,they all have an excellent overall sound. Between the 650's and 600's I agree with Tyll at InnerFidelity that the 600's have a slight edge over the 650's. If I could only choose two between these three cans it would be the M1060's and the 600's.
However, it depends on the genre of music you mostly listen to and sources. I will reach for the 650's less than the 600's but will reach for the 650's for certain genres of music using certain amps. I find the 600's more to my liking for all types of music and sources. The 650's less so and better for some types of music and sources,this is splitting hairs. Remember everyone has certain sound signatures they prefer over others. I probably muddied the waters but their is no easy answer.

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #2,655 of 8,051

I own the HD600's and had the 1060's for a while until they fell apart. I shipped them back and waiting for a replacement. Definitely a place for both in my opinion. I've taken out the foam between ears/drivers in the 600's and enjoy the added brightness. I love the overall balance of the 600's, but the 1060's are just plain FUN !! If I'm listening to funk, which I listen to alot, I'm grabbing the 1060's for sure. The 1060's are much easier to drive (works quite well straight out of my MacBook Pro) but a decent amp makes them that much better. Sorry ... I don't own the 650's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back