Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 5, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #2,596 of 8,051
Appreciated!

My pads just arrived, and HOLY CRAP the difference is enormous. Everything feels more precise, almost 'faster', clearer across the whole frequency band.

I feel like it traded away some sound stage, but in exchange everything feels more "in my face". I love this for all of my rock/alternative/punk music. Delicate stuff, like Norah Jones or Mariah Carey, it feels like she's singing right to me.

I haven't tried any live recordings yet, that might change everything. I'll report back about soundstage on live stuff later.

**note that I used a slightly smaller paper towel than @cskippy.

Which pads did you buy? Was it the Audeze Vegans?

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #2,597 of 8,051
Which pads did you buy? Was it the Audeze Vegans?

Yes, the Audeze Vegans, followed by the paper circle. I tested in between, and I was pretty impressed with just the pads, but the paper circle is better to my ears.

I have ordered some felt and double sided tape, so I'll try a thinner felt underneath the paper towel, and see the difference. I'll try and get that done this weekend.

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #2,598 of 8,051
Vegans ordered!

I have a friend who will be buying a pair of M1060s when they are back in stock. So should be able to A/B cskippy mod versus stock, maybe a month from now...

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #2,599 of 8,051
Yes, the Audeze Vegans, followed by the paper circle. I tested in between, and I was pretty impressed with just the pads, but the paper circle is better to my ears.

I have ordered some felt and double sided tape, so I'll try a thinner felt underneath the paper towel, and see the difference. I'll try and get that done this weekend.

They're very enjoyable with just vegan pads and no paper towel mod.

The paper seems to tighten the low end up a little and add more treble and overall clarity and balance. No paper towel is a more laid back treble and warmer with a fuller bass and just overall smooth non-fatiguing sound. I have them this way for now, and it sounds excellent. Effortless is a good word to describe the sound, it's just very smooth and pleasant.

I think both ways sound good. I would suggest trying both for awhile when you mod. It's very easy to swap back and forth.

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #2,600 of 8,051
I pulled the paper towels out last night just to see what Audeze pads alone sounded like.  It's good, and measures like the LCD 3 Fazor.  It makes for a relaxing fatigue free listen.  But I started to miss the excitement the increase in sub bass and treble brought, and put the paper towels back.  

With just Audeze pads, it's a different flavor of warm neutral, kind of like HD650.  With paper towels and Audeze pads, these headphones become a tour de force with EDM and dance, yet render perfectly the intricacies of Jazz and Classical music.  

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #2,602 of 8,051
  Broke down and bought the Audeze vegan pads.  Should be here tomorrow!

My question for those of you that have already swapped pads: any advice for removing/applying both pads so as to keep them in good/returnable condition (just in case)?

Good decision!

You won't want to return them once you put on your vegans so no worries :)

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #2,604 of 8,051
  Broke down and bought the Audeze vegan pads.  Should be here tomorrow!

My question for those of you that have already swapped pads: any advice for removing/applying both pads so as to keep them in good/returnable condition (just in case)?

My experience ... the stock pads come off relatively easily. Just take it slow. cskippy advised (too late for me) to take some of the tackiness off the remaining glue on the cups, by pressing them against your teeshirt a few times. This will still leave them tacky enough, without being so tacky that if you should want to take the Vegans off, it won't leave some of the material behind. Hope this helps ...

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #2,605 of 8,051
Here's my caffeinated mod:

Vegan Pads Only: White
Paper Towel (full sized): Green
Coffee Filter (full sized): Pink
Coffee Filter (2.8 inch diameter): Blue

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #2,608 of 8,051
  I pulled the paper towels out last night just to see what Audeze pads alone sounded like.  It's good, and measures like the LCD 3 Fazor.  It makes for a relaxing fatigue free listen.  But I started to miss the excitement the increase in sub bass and treble brought, and put the paper towels back.  

With just Audeze pads, it's a different flavor of warm neutral, kind of like HD650.  With paper towels and Audeze pads, these headphones become a tour de force with EDM and dance, yet render perfectly the intricacies of Jazz and Classical music.  

I did the same last night, def agree, the paper certainly adds just the right little bit of sparkle.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #2,609 of 8,051

Users who are viewing this thread

Back