Monoprice Monolith Liquid Spark - By Alex Cavalli
Jul 3, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #376 of 624
We bought a sample from Monoprice for one of our team a while back. He ended up reviewing it and seemed quite pleased with the performance for $99.

https://headfonics.com/2019/07/monoprice-monolith-liquid-spark-review/

5.jpg

Jul 6, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #377 of 624
I´m thinking about getting one. Can someone who ownes the spark already please have a look at the power supply if its also designed for handling 230V? i´ll guess there should be a sticker underneath.

Thanks!
Dan

Jul 6, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #378 of 624
I´m thinking about getting one. Can someone who ownes the spark already please have a look at the power supply if its also designed for handling 230V? i´ll guess there should be a sticker underneath.

Thanks!
Dan
It has a DC input, you just need an adapter for the included power supply.
edit: maybe that was confusing, the answer is no. You need a wall adapter.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #380 of 624
I like mine very well. It has a long turn on delay with no power supply thump noise and I have it connected to my Focal shape twin monitors. I can put in headphones and it will disconnect the monitor output. No loud noise at power off even. Smooth volume control. Outstanding quality and power for the price. Does runs quite warm.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #381 of 624
Hey guys, could anyone link me or direct me to where I can find a replacement power supply that will work with the spark? Doesn't have to be first party, just need something to get my spark working again. Monoprice was no help when asking (they didn't asnwer lol)

Thanks

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #382 of 624
Hey guys, could anyone link me or direct me to where I can find a replacement power supply that will work with the spark? Doesn't have to be first party, just need something to get my spark working again. Monoprice was no help when asking (they didn't asnwer lol)

Thanks
From the Monoprice site: "It uses dual 18V filtered power supply rails to produce wide voltage swings for additional headroom".

Sep 2, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #383 of 624
Thought I would take some nudes in case anyone was lookin NSFW

First listening impressions; Very articulate/ controlled bass. Notice an immediate difference coming from my USB audio interface, the transients are the most noticeable especially with challenging electronic music. When listening to square/ triangle/ sawtooth synths the improvement is night and day. Granted the headphone out from my USB interface is just mehh and my HD 25 SP-II phones still leave something to be desired. Overall though, there's nothing bad I can say about the Liquid Spark at the moment. To the people who say this thing is bright or fatiguing, I can almost guarantee that it's your headphones, not the amp. The Liquid Spark is definitely the strongest link in my chain right now. Just need to get some open backs and see what this thing can really do.

Hm, looks like a somewhat similar approach as the Asgard 3...

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #384 of 624

Thanks

You need a 36v 1.25A power supply. You can try a cheap something like this. Or for better reliability, this MeanWell.

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #385 of 624
Looks like I will soon be a Spark owner. I went to Monoprice to get more info on the new Cavalli THX amp. While I was on there I saw open box Sparks for $80.00. I thought, Awesome! I don't care about a mark or scratch.

I later realized that I hadn't seen anything about the warranty. I contacted them and asked about the warranty on the Spark open box. I was assuming one year. Nope. It is 30 days for refund and 90 days for a replacement.

I called Monoprice less than an hour after my order was placed (50 minutes). You can NOT cancel an order once it is placed. I spoke to a lady at 1:20PM (their time). She said she would send an email to the warehouse, but she was not hopeful. Checked with them this morning and it is indeed on it's way. And DHL can not be refused, which I guess means that it will be dropped at my door.

While I am curious about the Spark, I would never buy an electronic good with a 90 day warranty, unless it was used or refurbished.

Live and learn. It does dampen my taste for Monoprice going forward. Hopefully it sounds great and I don't have any problems in the first year.

Shane D

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #386 of 624
Mine is a year in December of daily use, it's on pretty much 24/7 as I usually forget to power it off. It does get warmer to the touch more than I would like but, fingers crossed so far so good with mine. I looove it as my amp. Only upgrade I would consider is a amp with balanced output. Otherwise there is nothing I would upgrade too with standard outs.

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #387 of 624
Mine is a year in December of daily use, it's on pretty much 24/7 as I usually forget to power it off. It does get warmer to the touch more than I would like but, fingers crossed so far so good with mine. I looove it as my amp. Only upgrade I would consider is a amp with balanced output. Otherwise there is nothing I would upgrade too with standard outs.

Thanks for the feedback! I have been curious about this unit for several months. I recently bought a Cavalli LCX from MassDrop and love it. That is my balanced amp and my Burson Fun-Classic is my SE amp. I have been thinking about trying out an Atom/Spark to see how they measure up.

Before I bought this I was looking hard at an Asgard 3 and wondered if it might replace my Burson. Also, the new Cavalli amps are pretty exciting. The THX AAA 887 measure just a tiny bit better than the MassDrop 789, will have better availability AND has a five year warranty.

Great time to be a music lover!

Shane D

Sep 20, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #389 of 624
The Liquid Spark has grown on me, in nearly a year of ownership. Wasn’t in love with it when using a pair of Senn HD580’s, but it does seem to happier with a pair of Senn 6xx.

I use an ECC88 ‘tube buffer’ between an iPure and the Spark.

Very impressive details, dynamics and stage.

The only thing I didn’t like was the 3 wall warts (one for Spark, one for iPure and another larger supply for the tube buffer) and the ‘tangle of cords’.

Broke out the table saw and some scrap 3/4 inch MDF and made a box to house all the power supplies and to untangle the cords. Also added a ‘marker strip’ on Spark’s volume knob.

2ACC4DF9-D6D4-4895-8B85-0C3686BE8599.jpeg 748A7C9C-C34C-433E-8F5C-B3FB4683513F.jpeg 3AED3CDC-2521-4462-987D-E692D5C5F4BF.jpeg 76BB2488-E86F-46CA-838D-47CCAC784E74.jpeg

Happy with this as a little ‘system’ now.

Going to paint the box a pewter grey, next. Maybe add a hanger on the side of the box to hold the Senn 6xx...

Cheers...

:)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #390 of 624
The Liquid Spark has grown on me, in nearly a year of ownership. Wasn’t in love with it when using a pair of Senn HD580’s, but it does seem to happier with a pair of Senn 6xx.

I use an ECC88 ‘tube buffer’ between an iPure and the Spark.

Very impressive details, dynamics and stage.

The only thing I didn’t like was the 3 wall warts (one for Spark, one for iPure and another larger supply for the tube buffer) and the ‘tangle of cords’.

Broke out the table saw and some scrap 3/4 inch MDF and made a box to house all the power supplies and to untangle the cords. Also added a ‘marker strip’ on Spark’s volume knob.

Happy with this as a little ‘system’ now.

Going to paint the box a pewter grey, next. Maybe add a hanger on the side of the box to hold the Senn 6xx...

Cheers...

:)
Nice work man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back