Monoprice Monolith Liquid Spark - By Alex Cavalli
Oct 13, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #406 of 624
It doesn’t hum when it’s on whether music is playing or not. It’s a very quiet amp.

It doesn’t hum when it’s off either once the plug is fully inserted. It only does it while you’re inserting the plug.

Thanks for responding

I just did some further testing.

It does hum with the plug in but not until around two o’clock on the pot. I usually listen at around 10 o’clock.

If it’s a grounding issue because of floating ground on amp and non grounded source is there any danger to my headphones or myself?

Under normal operation it sounds great.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #407 of 624
It doesn’t hum when it’s on whether music is playing or not. It’s a very quiet amp.

It doesn’t hum when it’s off either once the plug is fully inserted. It only does it while you’re inserting the plug.

Thanks for responding

I just did some further testing.

It does hum with the plug in but not until around two o’clock on the pot. I usually listen at around 10 o’clock.

If it’s a grounding issue because of floating ground on amp and non grounded source is there any danger to my headphones or myself?

Under normal operation it sounds great.

Since both devices are floating and not connected to any external ground such as the AC ground, I would expect no issues with headphones. You shouldn't have any ground hum though even at 2 on the dial. Cable perhaps?? Or something coming from the source?

OTOH, if you're good the way it is no need........ :)

Oct 20, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #408 of 624
Did a little comparison of the Liquid Spark against a new acquisition, a used Schiit Vali 2. Here is a cut and paste from the Vali 2 thread:

"Did some back and forth today.
ZX300 DAP feeding SMSL SU-8 DAC
RCA Y cable out feeding Vali 2 and Liquid Spark. Amps were volume matched to less than half a decible.

Both sounded very good, but different. My impression was:
1) The Vali 2 was really pushing the vocals out front, which I really enjoyed. Good full sound, with the vocals dominant.

I was playing about 10 songs from Florence and the Machine that I know very well (about 7 ALAC and 3 AAC). I was even changing the jack in the middle of songs. It was intense A-B testing, for me.

Once I started using the Liquid Spark the difference was noticeable. Mostly, the added bass. Very nice. With the rest of the music though it all sounded very "even". What I mean by that is that every instrument, including vocals, sounded like it was the exact same distance from me with the exact same volume and prominence. Not sure how to explain it, except that it seemed more balanced. You could hear, clearly, whatever instrument you wanted to concentrate on. Nothing was dominant, but the bass on certain songs kicked in with authority.

Two different sounds, but I liked both very much. If I had to decide which one to keep, I would be screwed. This may change when Jazz, Blues and varied Rock are tossed into the mix.

Now I am listening to the Westinghouse tube. Sounds pretty similar. I am not sure how much difference I will hear between tubes.

Still feeling pretty good about this purchase."

Shane D

PS: Forgot to mention - headphones used were Grado GH2's.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #410 of 624
I just received this amp. I'm using a Focal Elex and Modi 2 dac. Here are my initial impressions, comparing it to the other two amps I've heard my Focal Elex plugged into, the JDS atom and Magni 3:

1. There's no denying it: this amp has a somewhat recessed treble, at least compared to the JDS Atom and Magni 3. However, this doesn't really bother me. The treble that's there sounds really, really nice, and has a grain-free timbre to it that the Atom completely lacks.
2. There's a much better sense of space and imaging than on the Magni 3. The Atom probably pulls to a draw here.
3. Some people have said this isn't a forward amp. I disagree. Compared to the Magni 3, it lacks some upper-mid energy, but it is overall a pretty aggressive sound.
4. In terms of vocals, 'musicality', and the 'weight' and 'body' of the sound, this amp absolutely demolishes the JDS atom. I cannot imagine any reason to listen to the Atom after hearing this amp, save for some classical string music. Otherwise, the sound coming out of this amp is just fuller and more enjoyable (in every sense of the word) than what comes out of the Atom. The Magni 3 doesn't trail as much in these regards, but the Liquid Spark still beats it out, I think.
5. This amp has somewhat less 'slam' and overall Macrodynamics than the Magni 3, and, to a lesser extent, the Atom. That means that on more aggressive music, the Magni 3 might be preferred.

In terms of listening enjoyability, I would say this amp is better for most things than the Magni 3 (not plus). The Magni 3 does exceed in certain genres, though. As for the Atom - I don't think that amp really belongs on the same list as the Magni 3 and Liquid Spark. The Atom sounds (to me at least) utterly sterile and boring, putting out a 'thin' sound that is the antithesis of what the Liquid Spark gives you.

Oh - and this this is worth it just for the volume knob. What a great knob!

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #411 of 624
e to it that the Atom completely lacks.
2. There's a much better s
I just received this amp. I'm using a Focal Elex and Modi 2 dac. Here are my initial impressions, comparing it to the other two amps I've heard my Focal Elex plugged into, the JDS atom and Magni 3:

1. There's no denying it: this amp has a somewhat recessed treble, at least compared to the JDS Atom and Magni 3. However, this doesn't really bother me. The treble that's there sounds really, really nice, and has a grain-free timbre to it that the Atom completely lacks.
2. There's a much better sense of space and imaging than on the Magni 3. The Atom probably pulls to a draw here.
3. Some people have said this isn't a forward amp. I disagree. Compared to the Magni 3, it lacks some upper-mid energy, but it is overall a pretty aggressive sound.
4. In terms of vocals, 'musicality', and the 'weight' and 'body' of the sound, this amp absolutely demolishes the JDS atom. I cannot imagine any reason to listen to the Atom after hearing this amp, save for some classical string music. Otherwise, the sound coming out of this amp is just fuller and more enjoyable (in every sense of the word) than what comes out of the Atom. The Magni 3 doesn't trail as much in these regards, but the Liquid Spark still beats it out, I think.
5. This amp has somewhat less 'slam' and overall Macrodynamics than the Magni 3, and, to a lesser extent, the Atom. That means that on more aggressive music, the Magni 3 might be preferred.

In terms of listening enjoyability, I would say this amp is better for most things than the Magni 3 (not plus). The Magni 3 does exceed in certain genres, though. As for the Atom - I don't think that amp really belongs on the same list as the Magni 3 and Liquid Spark. The Atom sounds (to me at least) utterly sterile and boring, putting out a 'thin' sound that is the antithesis of what the Liquid Spark gives you.

Oh - and this this is worth it just for the volume knob. What a great knob!

would def agree. the spark is one of the best audio purchases i have made for its price since becoming interested in this hobby

Dec 28, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #412 of 624
I have no complaints. Tho I have been inching to try something new as I just upgraded my dac to a D50s. I am thinking of the Massdrop CTH.

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #413 of 624
deleted

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #417 of 624
I went for them,

Just got my Liquid Spark, so far so good, Only burn them in for about 10 hours, paired with my Hifiman Sundara for Vinyl listening only,
I will write about my impressions within a few days.
I don't think I saw your sundara/spark impression. I'm very curious for your thoughts as I have the Sundara and think it's a very special headphone. I ask because I'm planning to buy a spark as well.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #418 of 624
I don't think I saw your sundara/spark impression. I'm very curious for your thoughts as I have the Sundara and think it's a very special headphone. I ask because I'm planning to buy a spark as well.
I used the hifiman he400i with the spark for almost a year and I can say that they pair very well. Keep in mind that the sundara is miles ahead of the 400i in terms of technicalities and smoothness and thus will be more revealing of amp pairing. I found this combo to balance out the he400i's tendency to sound slightly harsh on slightly poorly mastered tracks and provide a more enjoyable listen overall as compared to the JDS atom and smsl sp200.

Feb 5, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #419 of 624
I used the hifiman he400i with the spark for almost a year and I can say that they pair very well. Keep in mind that the sundara is miles ahead of the 400i in terms of technicalities and smoothness and thus will be more revealing of amp pairing. I found this combo to balance out the he400i's tendency to sound slightly harsh on slightly poorly mastered tracks and provide a more enjoyable listen overall as compared to the JDS atom and smsl sp200.
Thanks for your input. Exactly what I was looking for. The Sundara can sound a bit too bright for me at times. Seems like the Spark can tame it a bit.

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #420 of 624

The Spark and sundara pair very well, a must.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back