Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Aug 8, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #4,921 of 5,150
Gumby ==> Cap-modded LP/Genelex Gold Lions ==> HEKse ... oh yeah!

Not providing detailed impressions until the weekend -- let the caps burn in first.

But I will say that, vs DSHA-3F w/ Nickel transformers, the sound is really close. Tonality is nearly indistinguishable. Still a little more air from the 3F. I presume that will hold w/ LP/Brimar tubes vs 3F/Amorphous transfomers.

I'm looking forward to hearing all my cans from my new LP and hearing how the mod plays with various tubes.
Do you still find the Liquid Platinum to be close sonically to the DSHA-3F? Nitsch Audio is in the process of selling a few dozen DSHA-3F custom made for CeeTee, for about $2800 each. These amp's really look nice! I would have purchased one but after waiting for 18 months my DNA Starlett finally arrived so that's it for audio expenditures in 2023. 😉

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #4,922 of 5,150
Do you still find the Liquid Platinum to be close sonically to the DSHA-3F? Nitsch Audio is in the process of selling a few dozen DSHA-3F custom made for CeeTee, for about $2800 each. These amp's really look nice! I would have purchased one but after waiting for 18 months my DNA Starlett finally arrived so that's it for audio expenditures in 2023. 😉
Sadly, my LP died (actually, seems to be the power supply).

In answer to your question, I would say that the 3F just has some character which sets it above the LP (and all my other amps). A bit more 'image definition', cleaner bass, better timbre (especially noticeable to my ears from pianos). But it's all pretty subtle, and after 2 beers, I stop being certain it's not significantly placebo effect.

3F does seem to play quite well with almost all of my cans. Power isn't quite there with my Hedds. And it failed to adequately drive the HE-6se I owned for a few weeks and then sold on.

But for all my other (current and former) cans I either like/d it very much or love/d it:

Former:
Utopia (sold: best 'fix' I found for these -- always 'admired' them, but also found them a bit 'sharp')
Elite (sold: 3F came after I sold Empy, no opinion on Empy pairing, Elite weren't amp picky, but sounded very good from 3F)
Caldera (5-day demo only, also I didn't find these very amp-picky, but very good bottom end from 3F)

Current:
Auteur (sounds good but different from every amp, very good from 3F, Blackwood OG ==> Classic)
Atrium (w/ Nickel transformers, really nails the ZMF house sound)
HEKse (3F came after I traded up from HEKv2, no opinion on v2 pairing -- amorphous transformers up the 'airy/ethereal' factor to 11 from HEKse)
Ether 2 (amps tend to be go/no go from these -- can be a bit dull/lifeless -- very good from 3F)
Expanse (new acquisition, very good from 3F, but haven't really played w/ chains to drive them much yet)
Hedd (3F doesn't drive these well enough for my ears -- gets 'loud enough' but loses some dynamics)

Cheers!

Aug 9, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #4,923 of 5,150
Sadly, my LP died (actually, seems to be the power supply).

In answer to your question, I would say that the 3F just has some character which sets it above the LP (and all my other amps). A bit more 'image definition', cleaner bass, better timbre (especially noticeable to my ears from pianos). But it's all pretty subtle, and after 2 beers, I stop being certain it's not significantly placebo effect.

3F does seem to play quite well with almost all of my cans. Power isn't quite there with my Hedds. And it failed to adequately drive the HE-6se I owned for a few weeks and then sold on.

But for all my other (current and former) cans I either like/d it very much or love/d it:

Former:
Utopia (sold: best 'fix' I found for these -- always 'admired' them, but also found them a bit 'sharp')
Elite (sold: 3F came after I sold Empy, no opinion on Empy pairing, Elite weren't amp picky, but sounded very good from 3F)
Caldera (5-day demo only, also I didn't find these very amp-picky, but very good bottom end from 3F)

Current:
Auteur (sounds good but different from every amp, very good from 3F, Blackwood OG ==> Classic)
Atrium (w/ Nickel transformers, really nails the ZMF house sound)
HEKse (3F came after I traded up from HEKv2, no opinion on v2 pairing -- amorphous transformers up the 'airy/ethereal' factor to 11 from HEKse)
Ether 2 (amps tend to be go/no go from these -- can be a bit dull/lifeless -- very good from 3F)
Expanse (new acquisition, very good from 3F, but haven't really played w/ chains to drive them much yet)
Hedd (3F doesn't drive these well enough for my ears -- gets 'loud enough' but loses some dynamics)

Cheers!

Thanks for your informative input! Sorry to hear about the LP. I use mine intermittently, but do enjoy it with
my dynamics and inexpensive planars. Glad that you have had mostly good experiences with your DSHA-3F.
It really is a very special piece of Head-Fi gear. 😊

Aug 12, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #4,924 of 5,150
Off again, on again … 😳🤔
D89F41D5-5B52-4F3F-9E60-930C5C291ED4.jpeg

Aug 12, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #4,925 of 5,150
Aug 12, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #4,926 of 5,150
Aug 12, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #4,927 of 5,150
Has anyone actually gotten any information from Monoprice regarding this? Not sure if this is left over stock, or if they're low on supplies, or what

Aug 12, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #4,928 of 5,150
Has anyone actually gotten any information from Monoprice regarding this? Not sure if this is left over stock, or if they're low on supplies, or what
Monoprice said the LP has been discontinued. This must be some leftover NOS. NOS LP's appear from time to time but usually sell
out quickly, meaning there's a small float.. Then it might be quite sometime before any NOS LP's appear on their Website again.
If ever.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #4,929 of 5,150
… the old inventory accounting acronym FISH … first in, still here ? … 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

Aug 12, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #4,930 of 5,150
I was wondering if Dr. Cavalli had something to do with this. IIRC it was hinted that some components went dry in availability due to COVID, and perhaps Dr, Cavalli had to sign off on some replacements, since Monoprice cannot just hotswap components by contract.

Aug 12, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #4,931 of 5,150
I was wondering if Dr. Cavalli had something to do with this. IIRC it was hinted that some components went dry in availability due to COVID, and perhaps Dr, Cavalli had to sign off on some replacements, since Monoprice cannot just hotswap components by contract.
I guess it's possible. I remember reading that even though the Monoprice/Cavalli headphone amp's were to be
manufactured in China, that Dr. Cavalli had final say in all the components used. He may have been told that due to Covid
related part's shortages, substitutions had to be made, and he may not have liked the sound of the modified Liquid Platinums.
Maybe that's the case with the Liquid Spark too, since they always seem to be either in short supply or out of stock.

So that now all you can purchase through monoprice regarding Cavalli products are NOS LP and LS headphone
amp's.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #4,933 of 5,150
Does anyone know whats the consensus of using an LPS and modding these, is it guaranteed that if you run an lps with these its gonna break?

Personally, I think the Cavalli LP sounds great stock. I know that Dr. Cavalli does not recommend using an aftermarket power supply,
even though some LP owners have done so. I also know that at least a few people who've used aftermarket power supplies with the LP have had problems with the LP as a result of this. Doing so may also void your Monoprice 5 year warranty.

As for capacitor mod's, there have been LP owners who've changed some of the stock capacitors.
Some people claim it improves the sound of the LP while others don't. It's subjective.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #4,934 of 5,150
Oops.

Aug 16, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #4,935 of 5,150
Just got my Tungsram tubes in the mail and my LP is already warmed up and ready for a listen.
I’m a total noob when it comes to tubes. If I’m hearing things right then I think these bring toward more clarity and speed. Losing the round, warmer sound of the stock EH but gaining a bit more detail retrieval at the expense of losing a bit of bass.

Or I’m totally off but the LP still sounds pretty good.
IMG_9381.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back