Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jul 5, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #4,891 of 5,150
Do you know if lifting helps with the temp even if you dont have it stack on or under something? I have it stacked with RME adi-2 but even when it wasn't stacked, it was running hot
i bought a monitor stand riser which made of metal. Now it at least has 1-2 inches gap between lp and Schiit stack.

Jul 6, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #4,892 of 5,150
I put feet under mine and surprisingly it didn’t lower the temp. This is my next try just sitting on the case near the back.

Small tiny fan:
AC Infinity MULTIFAN Mini, Compact 40mm x 20mm USB Fan, UL-Certified for VR Gear, Aquarium, Roku, Router, Raspberry Pi, Cosplay, Helmet Cooling Ventilation https://a.co/d/9QN9WCv

Jul 6, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #4,894 of 5,150
I put feet under mine and surprisingly it didn’t lower the temp. This is my next try just sitting on the case near the back.

Small tiny fan:
AC Infinity MULTIFAN Mini, Compact 40mm x 20mm USB Fan, UL-Certified for VR Gear, Aquarium, Roku, Router, Raspberry Pi, Cosplay, Helmet Cooling Ventilation https://a.co/d/9QN9WCv

I have two of the AC Infinity 140mm USB fans. One I use to cool my external USB hard drives while doing backups (it's very effective for this use). The other I am using on a mini PC for additional cooling. I haven't used it with any audio gear yet cause none of the gear really needs additional cooling. I haven't felt any need to do any additional cooling for my Liquid Platinum or Liquid Gold X amp. They both run cool enough. But I'm using them in a fully open audio rack with 7" high shelves. So they have plenty of passive air flow.

I did try putting the Liquid Platinum on top of the 140mm fan just to see how it would fit. And that was a bit awkward. Even though the fan housing is about 6" x 6" it was still too small of a base to be putting the amp on.

You could put the 140mm or 120mm AC Infinity fan vertically freestanding behind or beside the amp. And that would get cooling airflow over and around the amp.

The 140mm AC Infinity fan is pretty quiet. But not as quiet as I'd like. It is still audible from the sides nearby even at its lowest fan setting. I'd like it if it had an even slower low fan speed setting that was quieter. The 140mm size already moves more than enough air at its lowest speed for what I'm using it for. The 40mm AC Infinity fan is going to be louder while moving less air. I'd suggest buying the biggest fan size you can fit in where you're going to use it.

Jul 6, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #4,895 of 5,150
I have two of the AC Infinity 140mm USB fans. One I use to cool my external USB hard drives while doing backups (it's very effective for this use). The other I am using on a mini PC for additional cooling. I haven't used it with any audio gear yet cause none of the gear really needs additional cooling. I haven't felt any need to do any additional cooling for my Liquid Platinum or Liquid Gold X amp. They both run cool enough. But I'm using them in a fully open audio rack with 7" high shelves. So they have plenty of passive air flow.

I did try putting the Liquid Platinum on top of the 140mm fan just to see how it would fit. And that was a bit awkward. Even though the fan housing is about 6" x 6" it was still too small of a base to be putting the amp on.

You could put the 140mm or 120mm AC Infinity fan vertically freestanding behind or beside the amp. And that would get cooling airflow over and around the amp.

The 140mm AC Infinity fan is pretty quiet. But not as quiet as I'd like. It is still audible from the sides nearby even at its lowest fan setting. I'd like it if it had an even slower low fan speed setting that was quieter. The 140mm size already moves more than enough air at its lowest speed for what I'm using it for. The 40mm AC Infinity fan is going to be louder while moving less air. I'd suggest buying the biggest fan size you can fit in where you're going to use it.
The 40mm moves a lot more air than you would think. I haven’t tried it in the unit yet. I have some of the other ones you mentioned, but as you also found out awkward.

I do have a ac infinity amp fan. It very cool and may move that to it to see if the 40mm doesn’t work.

Jul 9, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #4,896 of 5,150
How is the depth/microdynamic on the LP? I want to buy a new flavored amp for my hd800S which is somewhat flat and shallow sounding headphone imo. And how does this amp compared to a real tube amp in term of depth/microdynamic? Tks

Jul 9, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #4,897 of 5,150
How is the depth/microdynamic on the LP? I want to buy a new flavored amp for my hd800S which is somewhat flat and shallow sounding headphone imo. And how does this amp compared to a real tube amp in term of depth/microdynamic? Tks
• Depth and microdynamics on LP are very good.
• LP has an output impedance of only 0.14 ohms (balanced); HD800s has a nominal impedance of 300 ohms. This pairing will produce tightly ‘controlled’ sound. Do not look for blossoming of sound with such a high ‘damping factor’.
• Also, LP is a hybrid h/p/a where the sonics are a blend of tube and solid-state sonics.
• An HD800S / LP pairing is not bad sonically; it is rather far from optimum for HD800S - best served by an OTL tube headphone amplifier with a higher output impedance. Three great examples of the latter: Bottlehead Crack, Feliks Audio Euforia, Woo WA2. [Others may - I hope - suggest others.]

Jul 9, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #4,898 of 5,150

The Liquid Platinum does very good layering and depth for a hybrid. With a good DAC and good headphones it will give you a bubble of sound around your head with the front of the headstage out in front of your forehead. For example, with the HD600/HD650 and a the right DAC and a good suitable recording it will pull the sound out in front of your forehead and give you a bubble of sound around your head. And it does this better than any solid state amp I've heard. The degree that the Liquid Platinum does this does depend on the tubes used, and the DAC, and the headphones, and how much THC you've consumed. But it does do it, and it does it better than solid state amps.

The headstage that the LP does is better at presenting depth than width. So the shape of the headstage is somewhat more of a horseshoe rather than a hemisphere. It presents more density and depth in the center than it does at the left and right edges. Which contributes to the horseshoe shape.

There is a category of full tube amps that do much better depth and a bigger headstage with more width. But that is also a select category of tube amps, and none of them are cheap. There are also a lot of full tube amps that don't do this well at all.

Jul 10, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #4,899 of 5,150
With the stock tubes the LP has a very solid state sound. As others have said, soundstage is deep but lacks width. I upgraded the tubes and the "tubey" sound returned. I got a little more sound stage but it was perfectly described as your head is in a bubble, a very pleasing bubble. I have the og Hifiman Ananda and it is a great match.

Jul 10, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #4,900 of 5,150
If you want to step up LP sound quality by more than a few notches: instead of 6DJ8 / 6922 / 7308 / E88CC tubes, use 12AU7 / ECC82 tubes with Pulse Tube Store adapters (12Axx —> E88CC). [Be prepared to leave the adapters in the tube sockets! The adapters are tough to remove - but you may not want to.]

Jul 11, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #4,901 of 5,150
I heard a stock LP with a Earmen Tradutto and my Gumby A1 Unison. I heard the Gumby paired with it as dark. Pretty nice with the Ananda Stealth and my HD-600, but thick and dark on the HD-6XX. The Gumby/LP combo is well liked in this thread. But it's his pairing that I'm asking about. My friend doesn't want to do the cap mods while under warranty but he's open to tube rolling (pref $100/pr or less, maybe drift up to $140ish).

On the Tradutto (he's sticking with it and the LP), it was fairly bright in the mids/highs but a little too thick in the bass.

I thought a Mazda ECC88, or Amperex 6DJ8 "orange world" or "A getter", 6922 Raytheons on the cheap side, Jesse has 8771's a mil spec US tube which I don't know but expect is's like a 6922 or 7308 - meaning not a Mullard type sound which wouldn't fit IMO. Comments?

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #4,904 of 5,150
I guess if the amp needs warranty work, either I get it fixed by that authorized Cavalli repair service, or I have MP replace it with a MLG. Not 100% happy with this.

Not what I wanted to see. But this is the reason why I have three Liquid Platinum amps. One for use with 6922 tubes. One I plan to use with an adapter for 12AU7 tubes. And the third as a backup for if/when one of the other two stop working.

I also have two Liquid Gold X amps. Because I've planned ahead for when Monoprice discontinues the Liquid Gold X.

I like the Cavalli Liquid style sound in both the Liquid Platinum and Liquid Gold X too much to risk being denied their glorious sound just because an amp dies and Monoprice has discontinued the amp. I've been in the audiophile gear game long enough to know that when you find something you like this much that you buy an extra as insurance for if/when the company goes out of business or the gear is discontinued.

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #4,905 of 5,150
Not what I wanted to see. But this is the reason why I have three Liquid Platinum amps. One for use with 6922 tubes. One I plan to use with an adapter for 12AU7 tubes. And the third as a backup for if/when one of the other two stop working.

I also have two Liquid Gold X amps. Because I've planned ahead for when Monoprice discontinues the Liquid Gold X.

I like the Cavalli Liquid style sound in both the Liquid Platinum and Liquid Gold X too much to risk being denied their glorious sound just because an amp dies and Monoprice has discontinued the amp. I've been in the audiophile gear game long enough to know that when you find something you like this much that you buy an extra as insurance for if/when the company goes out of business or the gear is discontinued.
That (or similar) logic, if finances permit, also applies to tubes - especially to the NOS variety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back