Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jul 20, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #4,906 of 5,150
Not what I wanted to see. But this is the reason why I have three Liquid Platinum amps. One for use with 6922 tubes. One I plan to use with an adapter for 12AU7 tubes. And the third as a backup for if/when one of the other two stop working.

I also have two Liquid Gold X amps. Because I've planned ahead for when Monoprice discontinues the Liquid Gold X.

I like the Cavalli Liquid style sound in both the Liquid Platinum and Liquid Gold X too much to risk being denied their glorious sound just because an amp dies and Monoprice has discontinued the amp. I've been in the audiophile gear game long enough to know that when you find something you like this much that you buy an extra as insurance for if/when the company goes out of business or the gear is discontinued.
Do you think amp hoarding necessary? The technology is going ahead and there are many new and better amps released every quarter. Besides I heard that the capacitors are degrading by time going by even if you don’t put them in use.

Jul 21, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #4,907 of 5,150
Do you think amp hoarding necessary?(A) The technology is going ahead and there are many new and better amps released every quarter (B). Besides I heard that the capacitors are degrading by time (C) going by even if you don’t put them in use.
A.) Not hoarding. Two LP are each used differently - only one backup.
B.) According to whom & in what way?
C.) Over a period of ten to fifteen years.

Jul 21, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #4,908 of 5,150
LP + TFK ECC82s + HD660S2 = 🎼 🎶 🎵
18103D8C-CD67-4280-AB76-C06159542E4E.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #4,909 of 5,150
I heard that the capacitors are degrading by time going by even if you don’t put them in use.
Do you mean in the LP, or amps in general. What about crossovers? Some caps leak, dry out, or go out of spec. Most usually use 30 yrs as a cut-off to start paying attention to this issue. I have a pair of speakers built in 1979, and another in 1985 - well above average quality - and they all test within the stated value plus +/- error. But I have seen amps where the caps are leaking and out of spec at 15 years.

Please provide pointers if you have them.

Jul 21, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #4,912 of 5,150
Do you think amp hoarding necessary? The technology is going ahead and there are many new and better amps released every quarter. Besides I heard that the capacitors are degrading by time going by even if you don’t put them in use.

I don't view it as amp hoarding. I view it as having a backup of a favorite amp just in case one of them has a failure. Early on with Monoprice it became clear that they don't have a service center and techs that can actually repair these amps. All repairs were done by swapping an amp from inventory. There is no service center with techs and spare boards and spare chips and spare parts for these amps. If you want it repaired after Monoprice discontinues the amp then you've got to have a spare yourself.

My spare amps haven't been sitting in a closet unused. I use them in other temporary listening station setups.

I've built my system and trained my ears around the Cavalli house sound. I want to be able to be listening to this headphone sound in 20+ years. And for that I need to have spares.

Another amp design from another company could come out in the future that has this style of sound I like and does it better. And I'd buy that amp. But I'm not holding my breath. And I expect an amp like that would be over $1000, or over $2000 or over $3000. I have high standards for anything that is going to replace a Cavalli amp.

Jul 29, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #4,913 of 5,150
Jul 29, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #4,914 of 5,150
Jul 29, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #4,915 of 5,150
A great price! Great adapters + with a pair of, say, RCA ‘clear top’ 12AU7s, one has a hell of an h/p/a! 🙂
100% agreed.
I just have too many amps, and another one coming in a month or so...

Jul 30, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #4,916 of 5,150
So does anybody here know what a good alternative to the Liquid Platinum would be? I am not too well versed in the world of hybrid tube amps, and the only alternative I can think of is the Schiit Lyr. However, from what I understand the Lyr doesn't sound that similar to the Liquid Platinum, and has a more colored tonality.

Also, I've been thinking about the Liquid Gold as well. I understand that the Liquid Gold amp/DAC is solid state, but does it still retain *some* of the Liquid Platinum's tonality?
I know I’m way late to this, as I just found your post today after googling liquid platinum amp discontinued after I saw that it is no longer available on Monoprice, but I have both and think they sound quite similar, so if you are still looking for a reasonable replacement for the LP, I’d recommend the xDuoo TA-20. I run mine with a pair of Gold Lions and it sounds quite similar to my LP that I’m running with some NOS 70’s Russian tubes.

Jul 31, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #4,917 of 5,150
Liquid Platinum is still fitted with Telefunken ‘red tip / medical grade’ ECC82 s. Absolutely clear, dimensional, liquid tube sound with the impactful transients of solid-state. No etch, glare, hardness masquerading as ‘detail’!
51BE1718-DABE-468A-9521-7907426F00F9.jpeg

[A wondrous configuration with Grado RS1x !!]

Aug 1, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #4,918 of 5,150
I just got a pair of Amperex Bugle Boy(1964 and 65) and I think they are a decent fit for the liquid platinum, it gives the amp a more tube like sound compared to the stock tubes. The mids are sweeter and closer and it sounds warmer and more lush. It sounds more fun and is great for vocal or mids lovers imo.

The bass doesn't dive as deep as stock tubes and the soundstage is slightly smaller so those are some drawbacks. Stock tubes sounds more balanced to me but the Bugle Boys are really fun with the HD600s.

Aug 4, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #4,919 of 5,150
Gents, need recommendations for tubes that don't break the bank. Been using the stock tubes since I got the amp, even after modding it with the Elna capacitors.

Aug 4, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #4,920 of 5,150
Gents, need recommendations for tubes that don't break the bank. Been using the stock tubes since I got the amp, even after modding it with the Elna capacitors.
A. Tungsram E88CC;
B. Genalex / Gold Lion 6922;
C. RCA ‘clear top’ 12AU7 (with Pulse Tube Store 12A## —> ECC88 adapter).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back