Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jun 27, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #4,876 of 5,150
• By your ‘signature’, I see that LP is your first tube (or hybrid solid-state / tube) headphone amplifier.
• For the moment, let’s stick with tubes that can be used, without adapters, in LP.
• Those tubes (6922 / 6DJ8 type) that I suggest are: Amperex PQ 6922, Amperex PQ 7308, Brimar CV2492, Gold Lion / Genalex 6922, Philips BEL E88CC, Raytheon CK 6922, Sylvania 6922, Tungsram E88CC … among others.
• I have used (“rolled”) these tubes in LP and in other headphone amplifiers that I own. Each of these tubes has its own sonic character but absolutely ‘serves the music’.
• EDIT: the suggestions above have been offered with sound quality foremost in mind, without getting into the ultra-price tube arena. Your budget may (will?) dictate your choice(s).
That is extremely useful, thank you!

Jul 1, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #4,877 of 5,150
I received my open box LP today and it get super hot (Probably more than160F degrees) after running it for 2 hours. Is this normal?

Jul 2, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #4,879 of 5,150
I received my open box LP today and it get super hot (Probably more than160F degrees) after running it for 2 hours. Is this normal?

How are you measuring the temperature?

The amp does get warm. But its passive cooling does very well. I don't have an infrared or FLIR to take its temperature. So I don't know how hot it actually gets. My local library has infrared thermometers and even a FLIR for checkout. I should check them out from the library and find out how hot the amp actually gets in use. I do know that my Liquid Fire amp dissipates more heat and after 2-4 hours you can actually feel the heat rising from the amp. The Liquid Platinum is not as hot and dissipates less heat.

The amp does have ventilation intakes on the bottom of the amp, and the vents on top of the amp on the left and right sides. Cooling relies on passive convection with air intake on the bottom of the amp and air outtake on the top. Obstructing the air intake on the bottom of the amp will cause it to run hotter. Give it room to get cool air from underneath. Taller feet underneath can help. But I've always just used the stock feet, but in an open shelf audio rack.

Jul 2, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #4,880 of 5,150
I doubt 160F for the amplifier body; the tubes, perhaps. To cool things down, you could use: tall adhesive rubber feet, aftermarket audio component feet, or both, along with socket savers / tube risers between the tubes and the tube sockets. Have a look below.
B1A48E4F-A722-4797-ACC7-A4ADF0DA0F4A.jpeg
[The amplifier body, with LP in this setup, runs modestly warmly.]

Jul 3, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #4,881 of 5,150
I doubt 160F for the amplifier body; the tubes, perhaps. To cool things down, you could use: tall adhesive rubber feet, aftermarket audio component feet, or both, along with socket savers / tube risers between the tubes and the tube sockets. Have a look below.B1A48E4F-A722-4797-ACC7-A4ADF0DA0F4A.jpeg [The amplifier body, with LP in this setup, runs modestly warmly.]
Thanks for the reply. Regarding how I measured temperature, I used my hands. It burned my hand immediately. Also the I was not touching the tube, I’m only putting my hand on the upper side of the amp. I won’t ask that question if it is just some kind of “warm” temperature. This amp feels more like a kitchen stove considering the high temperature on its body. The volume knob is at 10 o’clock and I was using balanced input.

Jul 3, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #4,883 of 5,150
Something is not right; with tube savers, 12au7 adapters, and 2" footers, mine is running barely over room temperature.

Jul 3, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #4,884 of 5,150
Yeah, mine gets warm, sure, but definitely not anything I would call hot. And yours sounds like it's running HOT

Jul 4, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #4,885 of 5,150
I ran mine for a few hours, driving HE6SE v2, balanced output, balanced input.

Tcase = 108F
Ttubes = 160F

I should note that ambient temperature was 79F, and I have my LP sitting on aftermarket 1” rubber feet which allows better air flow.

Jul 4, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #4,886 of 5,150
I ran mine for a few hours, driving HE6SE v2, balanced output, balanced input.

Tcase = 108F
Ttubes = 160F

I should note that ambient temperature was 79F, and I have my LP sitting on aftermarket 1” rubber feet which allows better air flow.
Thanks! I lifted my Lp and ran it for 2 hours, it seems the temperature dropped significantly. I used to stack LP on top of my schiit stack.

Jul 4, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #4,887 of 5,150
Thanks! I lifted my Lp and ran it for 2 hours, it seems the temperature dropped significantly. I used to stack LP on top of my schiit stack.
I can see that as being an issue, the stack would warm the air under the LP causing raised temps. I run my LP on a glass shelf and it runs mildly warm.

Jul 4, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #4,888 of 5,150
Makes sense to me! I hope your LP performs well and lasts you many years!!!

Jul 5, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #4,889 of 5,150
Just got my LP for around a day and the difference between it and my old Schiit Piety is night and day. The soundstage is way wider, and I can feel there is a space above my head and I think it replicates the sound of listening in a music hall very well. The bass hits harder and dives deeper. It does get a little hot but nothing too crazy. The RCA output sounded very clean and powerful too, I wish that the volume knob could control the volume of the RCA output but this is not a big issue, also my one of the tube sits taller then the other one but again this is just cosmetic issue.

I am using a warmer DAC though so some notes sounded too soft/mellow but I can replace my DAC later. I don't think my unit has the volume issue too but I might do the cap mod later since it ain't that expensive. I will listen to the stock LP for a while first and see if I need to do tube rolling, but right now I really like the sound. For the price that I paid I have nothing to complain(open box unit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back