Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Nov 6, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #497 of 5,150
What LPS are you using? If I am going down the rabbit hole, I might as well go all the way down the rabbit hole...

I wouldn't suggest going down my exact LPS path. I have several vintage linear bench power supplies. The one I'm using with the Liquid Platinum is the Power Designs 5015D, but it's been calibrated and it's a crapshoot if you buy one whether it will perform to spec.

Some notes from listening with a linear power supply versus stock:
  • Most DC barrels that I see on headphone gear are 5.5 x 2.1 mm. This jack is not. I believe it's 5.5 x 2.5 mm.
  • Yep, it's worth getting one with this unit. Linear power does all of the things for this amp that it does in others. Slightly cleaner, better blackground, improved bass, etc. You should be able to get one for under $200 and it's worth it.

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #498 of 5,150
My CLP arrived this afternoon. Perfect match for the HD 800S. Tight and abundant bass with clear pleasing highs.
Definition is natural with really deep soundstage.
Wonderfully musical.

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #499 of 5,150
I wouldn't suggest going down my exact LPS path. I have several vintage linear bench power supplies. The one I'm using with the Liquid Platinum is the Power Designs 5015D, but it's been calibrated and it's a crapshoot if you buy one whether it will perform to spec.

Some notes from listening with a linear power supply versus stock:
  • Most DC barrels that I see on headphone gear are 5.5 x 2.1 mm. This jack is not. I believe it's 5.5 x 2.5 mm.
  • Yep, it's worth getting one with this unit. Linear power does all of the things for this amp that it does in others. Slightly cleaner, better blackground, improved bass, etc. You should be able to get one for under $200 and it's worth it.
Suggestions as to power supplies that you can recommend?

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #500 of 5,150
Mine came in today as well. I didn't even bother with the stock tubes since I had some Tesla's available. The amp is smaller than I thought it would be which is good. Plenty of power on this amp. My initial impressions are extremely positive. It sounds very good. Running them with the focal utopias.

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #501 of 5,150
Nov 6, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #502 of 5,150
My CLP arrived this afternoon. Perfect match for the HD 800S. Tight and abundant bass with clear pleasing highs.
Definition is natural with really deep soundstage.
Wonderfully musical.

How does it pair with ether 2?

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #505 of 5,150
Received my unit yesterday and along with the Hifiman Ananda loaner.

Initial impressions are that the Liquid Platinum pair very well with planars. It gives the Ananda a nice and tight low end rumble on just the single ended connection. Loaner didn’t come with a balanced cable unfortunately. AFO sounds great out of it on a balanced connection but I’ll need more time with this pairing. Auteurs also have a “good” pairing with it but sounds magical from an OTL. Haven’t had a opportunity to try it with the HD650s.

The LP isn’t as fast as the Jotunheim but it has an ease to the way it handles music. Tubes affect the sound moreso than the MCTH. I found my Siemens too bright with the Ananda and Auteurs but the Phillips SQs gave me a great middle ground. I’ll share more thoughts later next week as this week is packed with after work functions.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #506 of 5,150
Listening with the Hifiman He 1000v1 (modded), I've been using the LP, paired with the Metrum Onyx DAC, and the Metrum Ambre Roon bridge, and my initial impressions are all very positive. Even so, I am still clinging to the hope that a good external LPS will help squeeze out an extra nice X% of audio goodness out of this unit... Maybe it is the effect of having read too many reviews/assessments about the Liquid Platinum and Linear Power Supplies, or maybe the Platinum is too closely haunted by the "ghost" of the excellent Crimson it is modeled on... I am not sure what it is, but I can't shake that longing for that other LPS just to see how much higher it can get the LP to scale in performance. The good news, though, is that the LP already sounds very very good, even with its stock tubes, and stock SMPS, and the feeling that things can only get better with further tweaking is very comforting indeed.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #508 of 5,150
Very early, but initial impressions are very good for me.
I agree. The CLP lets the Ether2 bass extend to its depth. Coming from the Jotunheim there is a significant difference. The CLP isn’t as fast as the Jotunheim but it seems to open the Ether2 up more.
Much more listening and time for both the CLP and Ether2 to burn into my brain before I will have any real meaningful comments.
All is so subjective. So far, I like what I hear from both the CLP and the Ether2.
The CLP also pairs well with the HD 800S and HEKv2.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #510 of 5,150
I agree. The CLP lets the Ether2 bass extend to its depth. Coming from the Jotunheim there is a significant difference. The CLP isn’t as fast as the Jotunheim but it seems to open the Ether2 up more.
Much more listening and time for both the CLP and Ether2 to burn into my brain before I will have any real meaningful comments.
All is so subjective. So far, I like what I hear from both the CLP and the Ether2.
The CLP also pairs well with the HD 800S and HEKv2.

Too many choices :gs1000smile:. I'm looking at upgrading to either the ether 2 or getting the LP for my he1000. Since you have now heard both, which would you choose if you could only have one?

Same question to you @MattTCG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back