Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Nov 7, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #511 of 5,150
Too many choices :gs1000smile:. I'm looking at upgrading to either the ether 2 or getting the LP for my he1000. Since you have now heard both, which would you choose if you could only have one?

Same question to you @MattTCG

As a former Crimson owner, I can tell you the HE1000 and the Crimson were an incredible pairing. That should hold for the Platinum too. The Ether 2 is incredible as well, I didn't get a chance to hear it on the Crimson, but of the setups I have heard it on, Dan's Liquid Glass and Mystique was far and away the best. I know that probably didn't make things any easier, just another datapoint.

Nov 7, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #512 of 5,150
As a former Crimson owner, I can tell you the HE1000 and the Crimson were an incredible pairing. That should hold for the Platinum too. The Ether 2 is incredible as well, I didn't get a chance to hear it on the Crimson, but of the setups I have heard it on, Dan's Liquid Glass and Mystique was far and away the best. I know that probably didn't make things any easier, just another datapoint.
Your comments on the crimson we're what piqued my interest in the lp. All input is appreciated, I'm so indecisive. The research is part of the journey. Thank you!

Nov 7, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #513 of 5,150
Your comments on the crimson we're what piqued my interest in the lp. All input is appreciated, I'm so indecisive. The research is part of the journey. Thank you!

Yeah, Crimson had this sort of interesting penchant for "super synergies" with certain headphones: Sennheiser HD800, Hifiman HE1000 and HE500, Focal Utopia, and Beyerdynamic T1 always sounded disproportionately good out of it. It's not that those headphones sounded bad with other amps (other than the T1, which is terrible), or that the Crimson sounded bad with other headphones, but when those headphones and that amp came together it was like 1+1= HOLY $#&%!

Nov 7, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #514 of 5,150
Too many choices :gs1000smile:. I'm looking at upgrading to either the ether 2 or getting the LP for my he1000. Since you have now heard both, which would you choose if you could only have one?

Same question to you @MattTCG

If you are running the he1000 off the Emotiva amp, I don't know anything about that amp. Do you like the pairing?

Nov 7, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #515 of 5,150
Yeah, Crimson had this sort of interesting penchant for "super synergies" with certain headphones: Sennheiser HD800, Hifiman HE1000 and HE500, Focal Utopia, and Beyerdynamic T1 always sounded disproportionately good out of it. It's not that those headphones sounded bad with other amps (other than the T1, which is terrible), or that the Crimson sounded bad with other headphones, but when those headphones and that amp came together it was like 1+1= HOLY $#&%!
I like the sounds of that, if you remember, did it happen to bring the mids more forward?

If you are running the he1000 off the Emotiva amp, I don't know anything about that amp. Do you like the pairing?
I do, I play it off my parasound zdac v2 w a ti amp chip in it as well but find they need more power with it. The a100 gives them plenty of power. The parasound produces a darker sound and the a100 is brighter but has a bit of a glare with some hps, but it really opens things up on the top end. The glare isn't noticeable with the he1000 and the sound is very impressive, just not sure if I can get more out of them.

I also had a Sennheiser hdva600 but wasnt all that impressed with it, that was the only amp over $300 I've owned and I didn't find it that much better than the cheaper options I've got.

Ive never tried tubes, and this one looks promising. However, due to past experience I've been in the camp of amps not mattering quite as much as long as it is a good pairing with the headphone. For example when I had the hd800 I was so impressed with the sound coming from the zdac that I sold the hdva. Don't get me wrong the hdva sounded better but not tremendously so because the z dac was already a good match.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #516 of 5,150
I like the sounds of that, if you remember, did it happen to bring the mids more forward?

I do, I play it off my parasound zdac v2 w a ti amp chip in it but find they need more power. The a100 gives them plenty of power, just not sure if I can get more out of the he1000. Wasn't all that impressed with the Sennheiser hdva 600 I had, that was the only other expensive amp I've owned and I didn't find it that much better than the cheaper options I've got. Never tried tubes, and this one looks promising. However, due to past experience I've been in the camp of amps not mattering quite as much as long as it is a good pairing with the headphone.

I haven’t heard what your listening on, but I would imagine so, if you are finding your mids recessed. Balance was exceptional.

I later rolled out the stock tube for a ‘75 Reflektor 6N23P, which made the amp warmer and more mid-forward (and really better in every way over the stock Gold Lion).

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #518 of 5,150
With Black Friday coming up, any chance the LP will be discounted at Monoprice? They are quite new though.....

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #519 of 5,150
Do you guys reckon the LP has enough juice to power the HE6?

Nov 8, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #522 of 5,150
With Black Friday coming up, any chance the LP will be discounted at Monoprice? They are quite new though.....

Hmm I have a feeling it won't go on sale for black friday. The Spark an a number of other stuff was excluded from the promotion for halloween.

Nov 9, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #523 of 5,150
Good question. Normally, I'd say no chance and that still may be the right answer. But then there was a guy saying the LP could bring the Abyss to an amazing level. So...

Haven't tried it yet, but would expect so--in balanced mode only.

My little (original) Liquid Carbons do a good job with the HE-6, although a bit more power is needed to be optimal.

Cheers. I dun even have a main headphone these days but I am seriously considering getting a LP :)

Nov 9, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #524 of 5,150
I received the amp on Tuesday. I am burning in now with the intent of comparing to Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies and Massdrop CTH + SDAC using Focal Utopia and Audeze LCD-X.

A question to Mr. Cavalli: if I want to get the best of this amp, what would bring the biggest improvement (in which order):
A. Replace stock tubes
B. Replace single-ended cable with balanced one
C. Upgrade to linear power supply (36V/1.5A is hard to come by!)

Thank you.

Nov 9, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #525 of 5,150
I received the amp on Tuesday. I am burning in now with the intent of comparing to Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies and Massdrop CTH + SDAC using Focal Utopia and Audeze LCD-X.

A question to Mr. Cavalli: if I want to get the best of this amp, what would bring the biggest improvement (in which order):
A. Replace stock tubes
B. Replace single-ended cable with balanced one
C. Upgrade to linear power supply (36V/1.5A is hard to come by!)

Thank you.

I'll step out on a limb here and say the balanced cable is the easy choice This amps topology was designed to perform best using thr balanced output

Users who are viewing this thread

Back