Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Nov 2, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #3,331 of 5,150
While I have not attempted any direct modifications to my Liquid Platinum, I am intrigued with the “cap” and “volume pot” modifications. Maybe......in the meantime, I am using the aftermarket LPS-36 linear power supply in lieu of the SMPS. No problems at all (on LPS, on LP; off LP, off LPS) over the past four months since purchase. The connection between the LP and LPS is a 4N silver cable (GX16-2) and I replaced the LPS fuse with a Synergistic Research Orange (F 2.0A). Finally (?), the EH 6922s were replaced with BEL E88CCs (made in India). To my ears: outstanding dynamics, linearity of response, improved body/heft/weight at all volume levels. Vocals and ambience are lifelike. Favourite headphones to use with the LP in this mode: HD 600s and Focal Clears.

EDIT: see post #4,295 (page 287).

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #3,332 of 5,150
While I have not attempted any direct modifications to my Liquid Platinum, I am intrigued with the “cap” and “volume pot” modifications. Maybe......in the meantime, I am using the aftermarket LPS-36 linear power supply in lieu of the SMPS. No problems at all (on LPS, on LP; off LP, off LPS) over the past four months since purchase. The connection between the LP and LPS is a 4N silver cable (GX16-2) and I replaced the LPS fuse with a Synergistic Research Orange (F 2.0A). Finally (?), the EH 6922s were replaced with BEL E88CCs (made in India). To my ears: outstanding dynamics, linearity of response, improved body/heft/weight at all volume levels. Vocals and ambience are lifelike. Favourite headphones to use with the LP in this mode: HD 600s and Focal Clears.

The HD600's come to life even more so with the modded LP...Its one of my favorite pairings and really eye opening on what the right amp can do to an already great headphone. The mod just gives a little bit more of everything to the LP and helps lift what I perceived as a thickness in the signature, This thickness of sorts is what others really like about the Cavali sound. Focal Clears are one that i have not heard on this amp, but hopefully I will get a chance to in the not too distant future.

Nov 3, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #3,333 of 5,150
When I had the Clears, I didn't like it on the LP that much regardless of tube I had installed. I thought the midrange was a little grainy and a little too thick. The HD600's sound much better on the LP than the Clears. The Clears perform better on solid state gear to my ears. On solid state gear, the Clears maintain their clean sound, punch and dynamism. The HD600's seem to come alive on the LP.

Nov 3, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #3,334 of 5,150
I LOVE my Elex's on the LP.
I am trying to thin my collection and have been doing some comparisons. I compared the HD600 to the HD660's on my two main amps. (I have decided that I am going to sell my tube amp.)

With the Violectric (via SE) and the LP via XLR I found the 660's to have a bit more detail and a bit more bass. It is close but I will be keeping the HD660's.

Both headphones sound pretty great on the LP.

Nov 3, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #3,335 of 5,150
The HD600's come to life even more so with the modded LP...Its one of my favorite pairings and really eye opening on what the right amp can do to an already great headphone. The mod just gives a little bit more of everything to the LP and helps lift what I perceived as a thickness in the signature, This thickness of sorts is what others really like about the Cavali sound. Focal Clears are one that i have not heard on this amp, but hopefully I will get a chance to in the not too distant future.
I should add that the cables used for the Clears are Arctic Cable Palladium Series; for the 600s, the cables are silver Lavricables — AC PS cables are underway.

Nov 5, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #3,336 of 5,150
I just bought a modded LP... Cant wait! Tomorrow!

Nov 5, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #3,337 of 5,150
Nov 5, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #3,338 of 5,150
How was the LP modified? You might also consider the aftermarket LPS-36 power supply. Then...there is tube rolling...6922s....6SN7s with adapters....fun, fun, fun...

Nov 5, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #3,339 of 5,150
Nov 5, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #3,341 of 5,150
Nov 6, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #3,342 of 5,150
You'll have to let us know what you think of it. I know a few of us who have the modded LP really enjoy its sound. The mods really helps the LP become more musical to go along with its power.

Nov 6, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #3,344 of 5,150
Anyone using Diana V2 with this amp?
I had the Diana Phi’s and I enjoyed the pairing. With the right tubes, the LP really filled in the Diana’s sound and gave them a lot more midrange body and bass. The LP maintained the Diana Phi’s transparency, detail, and clarity levels. Once, I heard them on the LP I really hated letting them go. It’s a very good pairing. Do note that my LP is modded.

Nov 6, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #3,345 of 5,150
There are quite a few old school linear power supplies that can be had for under $100 at the required ratings.

Power Designs Model 5015T and HP/Agilent/Keysight 6289A are excellent choices, for example (there are many more as well).

For marginally more DIY requirements, you can also make a best offer for an Acopian A36MT230 for less than $100.

Really, there are quite a few options. You can find some decent LPSUs from overseas at the required ratings (you'll likely need to ping them via eBay to get something at 36V), but I'm personally inclined toward the vintage regulated power supplies and happen to own 3 of them right now.
I am getting my cap modded LP today, looking to upgrade power supply...I know you posted this a few years ago, but do you know which power supply would be best for me to get? Other than what you posted above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back