Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Nov 6, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #3,346 of 5,150
It's gonna be a good weekend!

LP.jpg

Nov 6, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #3,347 of 5,150
I am well over the 100 hour mark and I am still getting blown away, by this amp. Things have really opened up and 2 things keep coming to mind, transient response and tonality.

Schiit Modi Multibit - Liquid Platinum - Amperex 7308 (1963) - ZMF Ori - Excellent transient response and tonality (lifelike sound), with 3 d effect. The mids are to die for, and nothing else is lacking!
How do you discern 'transient response'?

Nov 6, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #3,348 of 5,150
LP1.jpg
LP2.jpg

Nov 6, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #3,349 of 5,150
Nov 6, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #3,350 of 5,150
I have the 6N3PTriple Mica 1950's Large Getter tube installed..It sounds interesting....definitely an improvement...and a lot more power! The Aryas are eating up the extra power, they seem to love it.... Strange: on 1 hand, it's very very subtle and smooth, but at the same time it is muscular...the capacitor mod really smooths out the sound in a ...don't know the words....very polite, sophisticated, musical way...but man is there power behind every note...the bass sounds rich and lean, fast, ...it narrows the soundstage a little bit, but in an oddly good way...makes it all more intimate... but honestly it seems to kill the Aryas soundstage a little... Sounds great...the mids seem 'heightened' someway... MAN, I am BLASTING the Aryas and they sound clear as a bell! No distortion at all...stunning!!! edit: i'm noticing with the more intimate soundstage, the imaging seems superior...

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #3,351 of 5,150
Wow, I'm blown away, I'm seeing what this amp does and it's stunning...so dynamic...who said this thing was bass light? There's something almost magical about it...

What are some favorite DACS to pair this with?

Nov 6, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #3,352 of 5,150
I have the 6N3PTriple Mica 1950's Large Getter tube installed..It sounds interesting....definitely an improvement...and a lot more power! The Aryas are eating up the extra power, they seem to love it.... Strange: on 1 hand, it's very very subtle and smooth, but at the same time it is muscular...the capacitor mod really smooths out the sound in a ...don't know the words....very polite, sophisticated, musical way...but man is there power behind every note...the bass sounds rich and lean, fast, ...it narrows the soundstage a little bit, but in an oddly good way...makes it all more intimate... but honestly it seems to kill the Aryas soundstage a little... Sounds great...the mids seem 'heightened' someway... MAN, I am BLASTING the Aryas and they sound clear as a bell! No distortion at all...stunning!!! edit: i'm noticing with the more intimate soundstage, the imaging seems superior...
I really enjoy the LP with my Aryas (Eitr > Mimby > LP). Although, I'm planning to upgrade my DAC (Bifrost 2 or Ares II). I believe that the LP helps to impart some much needed naturalness and body to the Arya's, specifically its mids, that altogether makes the Arya sound less dry. Yes, the soundstage is smaller by a smidge from the CTH (Tung-Sol 6C8G), but it is still very wide while the imaging and layering is damn impressive. I imagine that the Fotons and mods make your Arya's sing even more.

Nov 6, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #3,353 of 5,150
I really enjoy the LP with my Aryas (Eitr > Mimby > LP). Although, I'm planning to upgrade my DAC (Bifrost 2 or Ares II). I believe that the LP helps to impart some much needed naturalness and body to the Arya's, specifically its mids, that altogether makes the Arya sound less dry. Yes, the soundstage is smaller by a smidge from the CTH (Tung-Sol 6C8G), but it is still very wide while the imaging and layering is damn impressive. I imagine that the Fotons and mods make your Arya's sing even more.
I'm shocked at how good this sounds...I have NEVER in my life heard anything as good as this rig now...i've got goose bumps.. the Aryas have come ALIVE!

Nov 6, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #3,354 of 5,150
I'm shocked at how good this sounds...I have NEVER in my life heard anything as good as this rig now...i've got goose bumps.. the Aryas have come ALIVE!

I told you this amp was a beast and punches way above it's weight class. Be careful, the tube rolling can get expensive. Happy listening.

Nov 6, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #3,355 of 5,150
Just finished listening to Live at the Sands (Frank Sinatra with the Count Basie band: 1966 recording: Quincy Jones, arranger). The Liquid Platinum has Philips SQ BEL E88CCs (made in India) and the LPS-36 linear power supply. “You are there” realism: true force with the big band, unbelievably clear and resonant delivery of the FS baritone, audience applause is holographic. To me, the Liquid Platinum is one of audio’s best and a bargain (...so is the HD-600 especially with a few choice mods)E57B7A62-36C1-4126-AE9B-A4E817E95B12.jpeg02A4B445-E6B0-4F19-A052-C261B8772EBF.jpeg

Nov 6, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #3,356 of 5,150
Wow, I'm blown away, I'm seeing what this amp does and it's stunning...so dynamic...who said this thing was bass light? There's something almost magical about it...

Welcome to the Cavalli blended hybrid sound. It's nice here. Especially with planar headphones.

The Cavalli blended hybrid bass is very nice with nuance and space and layering and power.

Here's how the Enjoy The Music review of the Liquid Platinum described the bass:
Some planar magnetic headphones responded especially well to the Liquid Platinum's bass delivery. The notoriously difficult Abyss AB-1266 can be quite choosy with its amp partners, but the Liquid Platinum was able to really make the AB-1266's legendary low end sing. Bass lines moved with titanic force – like the ocean shearing away rock from cliff sides with every note (I told you, this thing is evocative!).

The Cavalli blended hybrids can bring out some very neat bass with planars. It's the combination of bass with nuance and layering and the power to allow that to happen that does the trick.

As for DACs. I spent some DAC churning and some mistakes in a quest to find a great synergistic DAC for my Liquid Fire. I ended up with a Schiit Multibit Gungnir after trying a bunch by buying and also trying at headphone meets. The Schiit multibits hit the magic synergy in both tonality and imaging that I'm after. My other top choice after all that auditioning and trying was a Berkeley Alpha DAC 1 or 2 that I'd have had to find used because the new price was too much (new around $5K, used were around $3K). The Berkeley and Schiit Multibits do sound different from each other, but both had the synergy and imaging and the ability to do the "you are there" style of sound that I'm after. A DAC that pairs well with the Liquid Fire or Liquid Crimson is also going to pair well with the Liquid Platinum. Both the Fire and Crimson are more transparent and picky about DAC pairing. But the Liquid Platinum has an advantage that it has balanced inputs so is able to take advantage of the balanced outputs from the Schiit multibits and other balanced output DACs.

Nov 7, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #3,357 of 5,150
Welcome to the Cavalli blended hybrid sound. It's nice here. Especially with planar headphones.

The Cavalli blended hybrid bass is very nice with nuance and space and layering and power.

Here's how the Enjoy The Music review of the Liquid Platinum described the bass:
Some planar magnetic headphones responded especially well to the Liquid Platinum's bass delivery. The notoriously difficult Abyss AB-1266 can be quite choosy with its amp partners, but the Liquid Platinum was able to really make the AB-1266's legendary low end sing. Bass lines moved with titanic force – like the ocean shearing away rock from cliff sides with every note (I told you, this thing is evocative!).

The Cavalli blended hybrids can bring out some very neat bass with planars. It's the combination of bass with nuance and layering and the power to allow that to happen that does the trick.

As for DACs. I spent some DAC churning and some mistakes in a quest to find a great synergistic DAC for my Liquid Fire. I ended up with a Schiit Multibit Gungnir after trying a bunch by buying and also trying at headphone meets. The Schiit multibits hit the magic synergy in both tonality and imaging that I'm after. My other top choice after all that auditioning and trying was a Berkeley Alpha DAC 1 or 2 that I'd have had to find used because the new price was too much (new around $5K, used were around $3K). The Berkeley and Schiit Multibits do sound different from each other, but both had the synergy and imaging and the ability to do the "you are there" style of sound that I'm after. A DAC that pairs well with the Liquid Fire or Liquid Crimson is also going to pair well with the Liquid Platinum. Both the Fire and Crimson are more transparent and picky about DAC pairing. But the Liquid Platinum has an advantage that it has balanced inputs so is able to take advantage of the balanced outputs from the Schiit multibits and other balanced output DACs.
This post is epic, thank you!

Nov 7, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #3,358 of 5,150

Welcome to the Cavalli sound! I love it. I use mine with the Schiit Bifrost Multibit and I enjoy that combo.

Nov 7, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #3,359 of 5,150
My 2.5 adapter came 2 days early!

The MEST and the Valkyrie custom dont sound great on the LP...it reminds me of the CL2 with 1950s cable and sp2000...All I see is it's limitations...the customs are better, but the MEST falls apart and becomes a boom boom tweet tweet parody of itself...the LP and the IEMs are worlds apart....I'll stick with the Aryas....

adapter.jpg

Nov 7, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #3,360 of 5,150
its all relative. If I sat you down with the LP and the MEST you would love it.

If I then let you listen to the Arya, the MEST would never enter your thoughts again....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back