Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Sep 30, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #3,302 of 5,150
For the record. 12au7 can only be used in the LP due to the gain. 12at7 and 12au7 can be used in MCTH which is the amp mentioned in my response to the quote.
Sorry ... for clarity, did you mean:

'For the record, only 12au7, not <some other types>, can be used in the LP due to the gain ...'

Thanks!

Sep 30, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #3,303 of 5,150
Sorry about that. 12at7, and 12ax7 variants can not be used in the LP. 12at7 gain is 60, and 12ax7 gain is 100. 12au7 has a gain of around 18. There is a tube similar(same pin out) to 12au7 that is a 6211(Telefunken and Philips Heerlen) which has a gain of 32 which will work perfectly. 6922 runs around 36.
Sorry ... for clarity, did you mean:

'For the record, only 12au7, not <some other types>, can be used in the LP due to the gain ...'

Thanks!

Sep 30, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #3,304 of 5,150
Sorry about that. 12at7, and 12ax7 variants can not be used in the LP. 12at7 gain is 60, and 12ax7 gain is 100. 12au7 has a gain of around 18. There is a tube similar(same pin out) to 12au7 that is a 6211(Telefunken and Philips Heerlen) which has a gain of 32 which will work perfectly. 6922 runs around 36.
As you know bro, 6N3P work in the LP along with 396A, 2C51, 5670 with a different adapter along with the Lite Dac 68. Got a pair of the Foton 58 3x mica in the LP. 6CC41, 6N2P will work in the dac without any adapter needed.

Oct 14, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #3,305 of 5,150
Hi, noob tuber here, I see many recommended Genalex - Gold Lion E88CC, on tubedeopt, there are several options:
Balanced Triodes
High Gain
Low Noise & Microphonics
Matching

I know matching is matching 2 tubes, but are the other 3 important in headphone amp vacuum tube?
Do you guys recommend select all options? does that result the best?

Thanks

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #3,306 of 5,150
Hi, noob tuber here, I see many recommended Genalex - Gold Lion E88CC, on tubedeopt, there are several options:
Balanced Triodes
High Gain
Low Noise & Microphonics
Matching

I know matching is matching 2 tubes, but are the other 3 important in headphone amp vacuum tube?
Do you guys recommend select all options? does that result the best?

Thanks

In the LP, i would only think that maybe the Matching option would be relevant since it is one tube per channel. All the other options are probably a waste of money in my opinion.

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #3,308 of 5,150
May I know if anyone is using bifrost and LP? Would it be an upgrade from jot non multi-bit Dac and LP? Thanks
A good DAC will always be an upgrade and if DAC happens to be Bifrost 2 then definitely. Also amp like LP deserves a good standalone DAC

Oct 16, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #3,309 of 5,150
May I know if anyone is using bifrost and LP? Would it be an upgrade from jot non multi-bit Dac and LP? Thanks

I use my Liquid Platinum with the original Bifrost Multibit and I really enjoy that combo. I recommend that you try a multibit DAC if you haven't listened to one before - to my ears the Bifrost Multibit (and Modi Multibit too) sound very natural and engaging.

Oct 16, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #3,310 of 5,150

So you could drop the gain noticably by using 12AU7 tubes?

Oct 16, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #3,311 of 5,150
The gain between the 12au7(18ish) and 6922(36ish) really doesn't reflect any difference in the volume level on the knob.
However, what is reflected is far superior sound over the 6922.

Me personally was hoping that beings the 12au7 is about half the gain of the 6922 tube wise.. That it would give you more flexibility on the knob. I suppose the self biasing circuit has something to do with it not showing that outcome.

As far as the whole gain issue that I was babbling about is that I believe that the LP will only properly run if the gain on any tube is below 40. Trying to run a 12at7(60ish) produces an extremely ugly distorted sound. Lol.

Don't be afraid to dabble in the 12au7 my friend. It's a phenomenal experience!

Cheers!

Oct 16, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #3,312 of 5,150
I find it best to use your DAC to control the gain on the LP. Lowering the output on your DAC, nets you a fair amount of play on the LP's volume wheel. I'm using the Hugo 2 with my LP with superb results.

Oct 16, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #3,313 of 5,150
I find it best to use your DAC to control the gain on the LP. Lowering the output on your DAC, nets you a fair amount of play on the LP's volume wheel. I'm using the Hugo 2 with my LP with superb results.

That is what I do, but I was curious.

Oct 17, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #3,314 of 5,150
First off I would like to thank @ksorota and @Guidostrunk for their excellent craftmanship and technical abilities. Thanks to these guys, I've been spending the last couple of days with my supped up LP. First was the cap mod, now the volume pot mod. Right off the bat, the ALPS volume knob feels great in hand compared to the original. Better resistance when turning the volume wheel, excellent low level channel balance, and control feels so smooth. Gone is the cheap, wobbly feeling of the original volume knob. My LP now feels and looks like a high quality piece of kit.

The biggest improvements I'm hearing is the background is blacker letting more music through. This is due to better attenuation coming from the ALPS volume pot. Channel balance is greatly improvement and there seems to be a better sense of control of whats coming through to my headphones.

I guess what everyone wants to know is this mod worth it. For me, yes. The step up in quality, build, feel and control are worth it alone. My LP feels and looks more premium. Kudos to the guys that made this happen :beerchug:

IMG_0572.jpg

Oct 17, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #3,315 of 5,150
Glad you're happy with everything Slim! Enjoy my friend!
:beerchug:
First off I would like to thank @ksorota and @Guidostrunk for their excellent craftmanship and technical abilities. Thanks to these guys, I've been spending the last couple of days with my supped up LP. First was the cap mod, now the volume pot mod. Right off the bat, the ALPS volume knob feels great in hand compared to the original. Better resistance when turning the volume wheel, excellent low level channel balance, and control feels so smooth. Gone is the cheap, wobbly feeling of the original volume knob. My LP now feels and looks like a high quality piece of kit.

The biggest improvements I'm hearing is the background is blacker letting more music through. This is due to better attenuation coming from the ALPS volume pot. Channel balance is greatly improvement and there seems to be a better sense of control of whats coming through to my headphones.

I guess what everyone wants to know is this mod worth it. For me, yes. The step up in quality, build, feel and control are worth it alone. My LP feels and looks more premium. Kudos to the guys that made this happen :beerchug:

IMG_0572.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back