Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jan 25, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #2,536 of 5,150
Were you using the Singxer?
edit: nevermind didn't read carefully enough.
second edit: balanced or unbalanced?
Always balanced, DAC ==> preamp (when used) ==> amp ==> cans

yes, always using Singxer to drive both DACs simultaneously.

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #2,537 of 5,150
I am comparing the LP with the Formula S and powerman combo. I might be crazy but I find the LP to be just about as transparent as the Formula S. The formula does have a slightly larger stage. They are both being feed from the Bartok. I am now liking the LP more than the headphone section on the TT2 that I had it was abit too dry with the Abyss.

Has anyone else compared the LP and Formula before? I know they are in different price ranges but I feel like they are similar in many ways. Am i crazy for thinking this.

I also had a chance to listen to the Traformatic Primavera. That was a mistake it was incredible. I am trying to forget how it sounded. I can't afford that amp.

Jan 28, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #2,538 of 5,150
I am comparing the LP with the Formula S and powerman combo. I might be crazy but I find the LP to be just about as transparent as the Formula S. The formula does have a slightly larger stage. They are both being feed from the Bartok. I am now liking the LP more than the headphone section on the TT2 that I had it was abit too dry with the Abyss.

Has anyone else compared the LP and Formula before? I know they are in different price ranges but I feel like they are similar in many ways. Am i crazy for thinking this.

I also had a chance to listen to the Traformatic Primavera. That was a mistake it was incredible. I am trying to forget how it sounded. I can't afford that amp.
I have not heard that other amp, but if you read a few pages back, you can find @atomicbob's measurements of the LP, and you will see how well it performs in testing. So not too surprising when hooked up to a good DAC, that the LP sings.

Jan 29, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #2,539 of 5,150
^^

I am currently using a Topping D70s with my LP with my Aeon 2 Closed. From what i can tell, These are a match made in heaven. My aeons open up a lot (both high and low end) once I rolled a set of Sylavania 6922 tubes from the 70s. The highs are really detailed and precise. I would go as far and say that When it comes to detail retrieval, the LP beats my THX 779 and 887 amps, but thats to expect since those are neutral, blank amps. I dont own a LCD 2 closed but I do have a LCD-x. Just like my aeon 2s, the lcd x's high end opened up a lot compared to my 887. Please bear in my that I am just a guy who loves to listen to different headphones and not an audiophile by any means. With that being said, I would say that the aforementioned headphones sound crisp (crisper) on my LP while the bass and low/mid low has some added punch. I am currently in the process of rolling some more tubes so i ll be able to describe more.

Hope this help. I am new here so please feel free to ask way any question you might have

Best
Thanks, so far I'm enjoying this amp but definitely need to up my dac game, I have some bugle boy d getter 58 tubes to try
Before I try the aeon 2s or the LCD 2c.

Feb 22, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #2,541 of 5,150
^^

I am currently using a Topping D70s with my LP with my Aeon 2 Closed. From what i can tell, These are a match made in heaven. My aeons open up a lot (both high and low end) once I rolled a set of Sylavania 6922 tubes from the 70s. The highs are really detailed and precise. I would go as far and say that When it comes to detail retrieval, the LP beats my THX 779 and 887 amps, but thats to expect since those are neutral, blank amps. I dont own a LCD 2 closed but I do have a LCD-x. Just like my aeon 2s, the lcd x's high end opened up a lot compared to my 887. Please bear in my that I am just a guy who loves to listen to different headphones and not an audiophile by any means. With that being said, I would say that the aforementioned headphones sound crisp (crisper) on my LP while the bass and low/mid low has some added punch. I am currently in the process of rolling some more tubes so i ll be able to describe more.

Hope this help. I am new here so please feel free to ask way any question you might have

Best
What is your opinion of topping I am looking at picking up the d90 MQA when it is released. For a cheap and portable stopgap I found a cheap LG v30 I am going to use as my source and dac till the d90 arrives. I will have to compare it to my IFI ione

Feb 22, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #2,542 of 5,150
Topping d70 or D90 would be an excellent compliment to your LP. These dacs are definitely clean and provide great audio for any balanced or unbalanced amp. I have only used Topping dacs (D50, DX7s and now the D70) and I love it. If you can manage a pair of balanced xlr cables to connect with your LP, then I believe you ll be a happy camper. I think Topping dacs run better when they are used as balanced (personal opinion).

I honestly dont know any perceivable difference between D70 and D90 so if you want to save a few bucks, you can opt for the d70 and call it a day. But thats up to you. I will be sticking with my D70 for the foreseeable future.

Best

Feb 29, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #2,543 of 5,150
I wonder whether anyone knows much about the performance of these Mini-Mullards that have suddenly showed up at Tubemongers, and can provide impressions :

https://www.tubemonger.com/Mullard_CV3986_6021_1975_Mitcham_E88CC_SUB_NOS_p/ex-6021m.htm

EX-6021M-2.jpg

Name in full:
Mullard CV3986 6021 - 1975 MINT NOS NIB Mitcham Special Grade Plug&Play for ECC88/E88CC/6922/E188CC/7308 NOVIB-ULTRA©

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #2,544 of 5,150
Hello. I have been getting very curious about tube sound over the last year. I have low impedance headphones so I decided to try hybrids:

1) I thought the Loxjie P20 was junk.

2) The Vali 2 is a nice sounding amp, but sound in no way tubey, to me.

3) I then bought an XDuoo TA-20. Not as clear as the Vali 2, but balanced option is nice.

The Liquid Platinum is a big step up from these three, but it is still a hybrid. Will it sound a lot different from my SS amps and cheap hybrids?

I currently have four SS amps and two hybrids and am looking for a different sound.

I have narrowed my selection of low impedance tube amps down to Hagerman Tuba or MAD Ear+ HDII.
But I do love the Cavalli sound. I have the LS and the LCX already.

Which will be "tubier"?

Mar 1, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #2,545 of 5,150
Hello. I have been getting very curious about tube sound over the last year. I have low impedance headphones so I decided to try hybrids:

3) I then bought an XDuoo TA-20. Not as clear as the Vali 2, but balanced option is nice.

The Liquid Platinum is a big step up from these three, but it is still a hybrid. Will it sound a lot different from my SS amps and cheap hybrids?

I currently have four SS amps and two hybrids and am looking for a different sound.

I have narrowed my selection of low impedance tube amps down to Hagerman Tuba or MAD Ear+ HDII.

Which will be "tubier"?

what kind of music do you listen to? I'd avoid tube sound for anything with subbass.

Mar 1, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #2,546 of 5,150
Mar 1, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #2,547 of 5,150

Which will be "tubier"?
Once I tried LP, I realized I like well implemented Cavalli sound. I also realized his circuit designs are created for good taste in sound if that makes sense. A good design I find is a sound that is seemingly detailed or has the technical resolvability without sounding clinical. I'm afraid a lot of solid-state designs suffer this.

Like any designs, it takes work and effort to realize a good taste. It doesn't get handed on a chip.

Also, I'm not sure what is a real tuby sound or you are referring to. Is a real tubey sound desireable? If you listened to Eddie Current tube amps, they don't have stereotypical 'tubey' qualities, but are very technically sounding amps with qualities that a solid-state can have.

So, the question would be what is this tubeyness desired, and is this ultimately desireable for the sound outcome?

I personally like precision in the sound, so a realy tubeyness is likely a no no. I do not want warm, thick slow goeyness in sound, but high resolve, fast, with non-clinical musicalness with tubes or SS.

As far as LP sound I notice, it's thicker and meatier in the mids than neutral, also has good technicalities to sound detailed. It's likely more of a complementary to leaner sounding headphones than already thick. Ultimately about preference in how meaty you like your sound.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #2,548 of 5,150
Once I tried LP, I realized I like well implemented Cavalli sound. I also realized his circuit designs are created for good taste in sound if that makes sense. A good design I find is a sound that is seemingly detailed or has the technical resolvability without sounding clinical. I'm afraid a lot of solid-state designs suffer this.

Like any designs, it takes work and effort to realize a good taste. It doesn't get handed on a chip.

Also, I'm not sure what is a real tuby sound or you are referring to. Is a real tubey sound desireable? If you listened to Eddie Current tube amps, they don't have stereotypical 'tubey' qualities, but are very technically sounding amps with qualities that a solid-state can have.

So, the question would be what is this tubeyness desired, and is this ultimately desireable for the sound outcome?

I personally like precision in the sound, so a realy tubeyness is likely a no no. I do not want warm, thick slow goeyness in sound, but high resolve, fast, with non-clinical musicalness with tubes or SS.

As far as LP sound I notice, it's thicker and meatier in the mids than neutral, also has good technicalities to sound detailed. It's likely more of a complementary to leaner sounding headphones than already thick. Ultimately about preference in how meaty you like your sound.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have never heard a tube amp in person, so my expectations are based on descriptions I have read and heard over the years.

I like warm, fun amps so I guess I am just looking for a different version of that. I recently bought an SMSL SP200 THX amp just out of curiosity. It is definitely ice cold and interesting in that it SO different from my other amps.

My experience with hybrids has been very underwhelming so far. But I really do like the Cavalli sound and wonder if it would differ enough from my LS and LCX.

I know that a hybrid would play nicely with my low impedance 'phones (Grado, Fostex, Beyer and Focal Elex's).

I do want a "meaty" sound. Golden vocals and a solid bass. As I sit in my lazy boy right now I am listening to Christone "Kingfish" Ingram via Sony DAP to SMSL SU-8 to LCX and it sounds pretty damn good!

Just looking for a different take.

Mar 4, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #2,549 of 5,150
I have had this amp for quite some time (shortly after it came out), and the main (only?) complaint I have is the gain.
There is no gain switch, and the gain is pretty high, so much so that on most headphones, including 300 Ohms (translate: not too sensitive) - volume knob has very little usable range before it gets too LOUD...

So, I was wondering, since I do not recall seeing any mention:
Anyone aware (or tried) a mod for lowering the gain, or adding a gain switch?

Mar 4, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #2,550 of 5,150
The crazy part is, when I first tested it with my HE-6se, I discovered that 'throttle all the way open' is about 3 o'clock on the volume knob. Seems like a mis-match somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back