Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jan 22, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #2,521 of 5,150
LP in tha house!
Fun times ahead! Definitely let that baby burn in for a good 50 to 60 hours, and things should really open up. I can remember how awesome it was hearing the LP for the first time, coming from a Lyr 3. The music became so real sounding, that I shed a few tears. The thing that really jumped out at me, was the forward and intimate vocals. The mids on the LP are magical.

Jan 22, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #2,522 of 5,150
I literally have to let it warm up first. It was delivered in a block of ice. I had to chip it away to get at the amp. Not really. But I want it at room temperature. I have tubes with an old pair of socket savers from my Lyr installed already. I get my balanced headphone cable Friday and I don't think I want to listen to it unbalanced. The instruction manual says don't even bother running unbalanced. I am hoping the volume thing won't be too much of a problem....

Jan 22, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #2,523 of 5,150
Are the stock tubes any good? Or is tube rolling a must for this amp?
Liquid Platinum is a very transparent hybrid amp. Please see the measurements here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/monoprice-cavalli-liquid-platinum-technical-measurements.894843/

The current supplied SMPS, which is exceptionally low noise, works bests with the LP. The supplied tubes are also worth spending listening time before heading off for tube rolling land. Often the listener is treated to hearing how the upstream components really sound for the first time and immediately blame the LP. That is the price of transparency. Listen and become familiar with the stock setup first. As has been suggested spend a fair amount of time reading other experiences but be careful. Everyone has personal preferences. The trick is triangulating among the descriptions to find those that may be most useful to you.

Jan 22, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #2,524 of 5,150
Liquid Platinum is a very transparent hybrid amp. Please see the measurements here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/monoprice-cavalli-liquid-platinum-technical-measurements.894843/

The current supplied SMPS, which is exceptionally low noise, works bests with the LP. The supplied tubes are also worth spending listening time before heading off for tube rolling land. Often the listener is treated to hearing how the upstream components really sound for the first time and immediately blame the LP. That is the price of transparency. Listen and become familiar with the stock setup first. As has been suggested spend a fair amount of time reading other experiences but be careful. Everyone has personal preferences. The trick is triangulating among the descriptions to find those that may be most useful to you.
SMPS?
edit: nevermind I see what it is.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #2,526 of 5,150
^^

I am currently using a Topping D70s with my LP with my Aeon 2 Closed. From what i can tell, These are a match made in heaven. My aeons open up a lot (both high and low end) once I rolled a set of Sylavania 6922 tubes from the 70s. The highs are really detailed and precise. I would go as far and say that When it comes to detail retrieval, the LP beats my THX 779 and 887 amps, but thats to expect since those are neutral, blank amps. I dont own a LCD 2 closed but I do have a LCD-x. Just like my aeon 2s, the lcd x's high end opened up a lot compared to my 887. Please bear in my that I am just a guy who loves to listen to different headphones and not an audiophile by any means. With that being said, I would say that the aforementioned headphones sound crisp (crisper) on my LP while the bass and low/mid low has some added punch. I am currently in the process of rolling some more tubes so i ll be able to describe more.

Hope this help. I am new here so please feel free to ask way any question you might have

Best

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #2,527 of 5,150
I ran into an issue. But I think I got a good solution. The yggy was putting out too much power into the LP from the balanced outs. It was causing clipping. The sound was bad. Unbalanced out of the yggy was fine. It says on the Schiit website the yggy puts out 2 volts from the unbalanced and 4 volts from the balanced. I guess I don't know if the culprit was the yggy or the volume levels in the computer, but setting up a Parametric equalizer in JRiver lowering the volume was the solution. Seems to be working fine now. Just wanted to see what people thought of this. And to hopefully help someone out in the future. And maybe see if anyone has a better solution? I suppose this is why people use volume control before the amp? Or is that a different issue? For the record, I find the play in the volume control a non issue for me. I am getting the same amount of "play" as I did with the Lyr.

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #2,528 of 5,150
I have heard great things about the Goldpoint SAX1, and this is the one I am going to buy eventually. One of the best equipment testers around,@atomicbob uses a Goldpoint.
they are the most transparent, little pricey though.
Get one with 2 output for future proofing

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #2,529 of 5,150
I ran into an issue. But I think I got a good solution. The yggy was putting out too much power into the LP from the balanced outs. It was causing clipping. The sound was bad. Unbalanced out of the yggy was fine. It says on the Schiit website the yggy puts out 2 volts from the unbalanced and 4 volts from the balanced. I guess I don't know if the culprit was the yggy or the volume levels in the computer, but setting up a Parametric equalizer in JRiver lowering the volume was the solution. Seems to be working fine now. Just wanted to see what people thought of this. And to hopefully help someone out in the future. And maybe see if anyone has a better solution? I suppose this is why people use volume control before the amp? Or is that a different issue? For the record, I find the play in the volume control a non issue for me. I am getting the same amount of "play" as I did with the Lyr.
Doesn’t sound right. I’ve been using LP w/ my A2 Gumby & Denafrips Pontus, both of which put out about the same voltage. Never had clipping problems when the DACs were directly connected to my LP. Volume was quite high, so I had to turn the amp way down, but as loud as I could listen, there was no clipping.

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #2,530 of 5,150
Doesn’t sound right. I’ve been using LP w/ my A2 Gumby & Denafrips Pontus, both of which put out about the same voltage. Never had clipping problems when the DACs were directly connected to my LP. Volume was quite high, so I had to turn the amp way down, but as loud as I could listen, there was no clipping.
Were you using the Singxer?
edit: nevermind didn't read carefully enough.
second edit: balanced or unbalanced?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #2,531 of 5,150
never had clipping with balanced out. Are you using EQ? and have have bass or something bumped up? in that case you may have clipping

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #2,532 of 5,150
never had clipping with balanced out. Are you using EQ? and have have bass or something bumped up? in that case you may have clipping
No I just have the DSP set to downmix everything to 2 channels. But it does not read active when playing 2 channel material, which is what I mostly listen to.
edit: oh and dsp to change higher bitrates to lower ones for the yggy to read. For example: Jriver automatically converts dsd to pcm at a much higher rate than yggy can accept. So those higher ones are set to convert to lower. 192 is the limit.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #2,534 of 5,150
Jan 25, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #2,535 of 5,150
I dunno. It sounds better with that stuff turned off. But JRiver is still doing something as the input path and output path are not the same under "audio path". Input is, for example 16 bits, and output reads 24 bits. Tells me there is still some processing going on...
edit: got a response in the JRiver forums already, saying this is standard behavior. It is just padding with zeros.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back