Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Mar 4, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #2,552 of 5,149
I agree that the gain of this amp is a bit high so I use a Schiit SYS between my DAC and the amp, which works well. (Actually, the chain is Bifrost Multibit - SYS - distribution amp - Liquid Platinum + other amps.)
Yep, attenuation is necessary with all my cans except HE-6se, including HEKv2, which are next most demanding. I have a balanced passive pre-amp. Besides attenuation, it also gives me remote volume control and source-switching.

Mar 4, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #2,553 of 5,149
I have had this amp for quite some time (shortly after it came out), and the main (only?) complaint I have is the gain.
There is no gain switch, and the gain is pretty high, so much so that on most headphones, including 300 Ohms (translate: not too sensitive) - volume knob has very little usable range before it gets too LOUD...

So, I was wondering, since I do not recall seeing any mention:
Anyone aware (or tried) a mod for lowering the gain, or adding a gain switch?
Ended up getting a preamp. For all my headphone the gain was too much and had no option but to get a preamp.

Mar 4, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #2,554 of 5,149
Thanks guys - I do have a small passive preamp, but was wondering whether a little gain switch might be a more elegant solution...

Mar 5, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #2,556 of 5,149
I have both and IMHO they are quite different. The WA6 (I have the original, not the current V2) is a very lush-sounding tube amp and tube rolling can change the sound quite a bit. The LP has the trademark liquid Cavalli midrange but is more neutral-sounding to my ears.
I agree, used to have the SE version and now have the LP. To my ears the WA6 is a little laid back smooth sounding whereas the LP is very dynamic with holographic soundstage.

Mar 5, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #2,557 of 5,149
The LP with the Ampherex tubes is so detailed and 3D with the Abyss 1266. I don't miss listening to my vinyl rig, tells me digital can be nice too if done well.

For $670 this amp is a real steal!

I'am hoping to further tweak the sound by replacing by Sabre DAC with either R2R or a tube stage DAC.
I have tried a few amps with the Abyss and so far this blows the rest.

One thing I would like to suggest to Mr. Cavalli, Please do not reduce the GAIN on your future amps, I need the high gain as most top tier headphones such as the Abyss are very difficult to drive.

Mar 6, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #2,558 of 5,149
The LP with the Ampherex tubes is so detailed and 3D with the Abyss 1266. I don't miss listening to my vinyl rig, tells me digital can be nice too if done well.

For $670 this amp is a real steal!

I'am hoping to further tweak the sound by replacing by Sabre DAC with either R2R or a tube stage DAC.
I have tried a few amps with the Abyss and so far this blows the rest.

One thing I would like to suggest to Mr. Cavalli, Please do not reduce the GAIN on your future amps, I need the high gain as most top tier headphones such as the Abyss are very difficult to drive.

Have you tried the xiaudio Formula S? I am auditioning one and trying to determine if it is worth the increased price over the Liquid Platinum. The 1266 TC is outstanding I love mine.

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #2,559 of 5,149
Have you tried the xiaudio Formula S? I am auditioning one and trying to determine if it is worth the increased price over the Liquid Platinum. The 1266 TC is outstanding I love mine.
I had it on my list to try but the fact that it’s not balanced puts me off. Also I cannot somehow justify the price for an amp that looks so DIY.

I know they say it’s all about sound but I see quite a few of those come up for sale often.
Tells me it’s a fantastic amp not necessarily the top one.
If you read through the thread someone compared it to the formula and preferred the LP.

Mar 8, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #2,560 of 5,149
I recently bought a LP that I’ve been using for a few days now. I’ve been using a Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk. 2 since last July and have been quite satisfied with it. I’ve wanted to try the LP for awhile but couldn’t justify on a tighter budget and didn’t want to sell the G-Lite. I saw a used/return model on Amazon for a nice discount and impulse bought it. So whoever is abusing Amazon’s return policy to try these, my wallet thanks you!

So far I’m only using it single-ended with an HD-650 and with either a Grace M9xx or iFi Micro iDSD (mostly the Grace). I’ve owned more expensive gear in the past but have scaled down quite a bit over the last few years.

Early impressions are positive. Ample power is a given but what really struck me right away relative to the GLite are two things: The expansiveness of the sound and the micro-dynamic rendering. I can’t complain at the price but if I had to nitpick, the expansiveness can seem a bit hard-panned without as much depth at times. It also seems like I have to crank the volume to really flesh things out and then it can become slightly fatiguing. There’s definitely more wow factor involved, though I would consider the GLite to have a more well rounded and integrated sound that works equally well for any genre. I’d like to keep both for their respective qualities.

FWIW, I will be getting a balanced cable for the 650, and am hoping to soon upgrade my DAC to an RME ADI-2 DAC. I also really like the chassis design. Like others, I think it looks much better in person than the pictures.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #2,561 of 5,149
I recently bought a LP that I’ve been using for a few days now. I’ve been using a Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk. 2 since last July and have been quite satisfied with it. I’ve wanted to try the LP for awhile but couldn’t justify on a tighter budget and didn’t want to sell the G-Lite. I saw a used/return model on Amazon for a nice discount and impulse bought it. So whoever is abusing Amazon’s return policy to try these, my wallet thanks you!

So far I’m only using it single-ended with an HD-650 and with either a Grace M9xx or iFi Micro iDSD (mostly the Grace). I’ve owned more expensive gear in the past but have scaled down quite a bit over the last few years.

Early impressions are positive. Ample power is a given but what really struck me right away relative to the GLite are two things: The expansiveness of the sound and the micro-dynamic rendering. I can’t complain at the price but if I had to nitpick, the expansiveness can seem a bit hard-panned without as much depth at times. It also seems like I have to crank the volume to really flesh things out and then it can become slightly fatiguing. There’s definitely more wow factor involved, though I would consider the GLite to have a more well rounded and integrated sound that works equally well for any genre. I’d like to keep both for their respective qualities.

FWIW, I will be getting a balanced cable for the 650, and am hoping to soon upgrade my DAC to an RME ADI-2 DAC. I also really like the chassis design. Like others, I think it looks much better in person than the pictures.
The RME DAC seems to me something everyone is talking quiet a lot about, what entices you with it?

Mar 8, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #2,562 of 5,149

Don't compare the LP too much against other amps till you get a balanced headphone cable. The balanced headphone output is much better than the single ended headphone output. The balanced output is not just more power. It is better sound qualities.

Mar 8, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #2,563 of 5,149
Don't compare the LP too much against other amps till you get a balanced headphone cable. The balanced headphone output is much better than the single ended headphone output. The balanced output is not just more power. It is better sound qualities.
I Agree.

Mar 8, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #2,564 of 5,149
The RME DAC seems to me something everyone is talking quiet a lot about, what entices you with it?

A few things. It's been universally praised by a diverse crowd and compared favorably to the Chord Qutest which I've owned. It also objectively measures very well. It's reasonably priced for what it is and is physically compact. I also like that it has a boatload of usable features like the EQ, volume control, and others. I was originally going to get a Bifrost 2 since I've owned both the Yggdrasil and Gungnir MB, but the features of the RME are really a big selling point for me. I've owned much more expensive equipment in the past but now I'm focusing on attempting to upgrade while maximizing my perceived value for money.

I'm looking forward to it. My point is that I'm already impressed even in a fully single-ended chain. It has also been stated here that the LP scales well with better sources which is reassuring. I've used a balanced cable with the HD800 out of a Trafomatic Head 2 with Schiit Yggdrasil, but it wasn't a huge difference. The Trafomatic wasn't fully balanced though, just transformer-balanced output. This would be my first fully-balanced setup once it's complete.

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #2,565 of 5,149
A few things. It's been universally praised by a diverse crowd and compared favorably to the Chord Qutest which I've owned. It also objectively measures very well. It's reasonably priced for what it is and is physically compact. I also like that it has a boatload of usable features like the EQ, volume control, and others. I was originally going to get a Bifrost 2 since I've owned both the Yggdrasil and Gungnir MB, but the features of the RME are really a big selling point for me. I've owned much more expensive equipment in the past but now I'm focusing on attempting to upgrade while maximizing my perceived value for money.
I like the phrase “ perceived value”
The Quetest I would have thought to be not up there with the RME?
I was hoping the RME was on par with DACs like Denafrips Terminator, PS Audio Directstream etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back