Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Mar 8, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #2,566 of 5,150
I like the phrase “ perceived value”
The Quetest I would have thought to be not up there with the RME?
I was hoping the RME was on par with DACs like Denafrips Terminator, PS Audio Directstream etc

Yes, I used that phrase deliberately because the absolute maximum value-for-money in this hobby is found around the $100 level. Everything else is diminishing returns from there. I downgraded from the Qutest because the difference between it and a laptop's line-out wasn't sufficient enough for me to justify keeping it; at least for how I value my money. It was still really good (relative to the context of DACs in general) and is amazing for what it does in such a small footprint relative to say, the larger Schiit DACs.

What I'm hoping to achieve now is to find equipment that's just right at the "bend" where it's deep into high-performance territory and where diminishing returns take a serious cliff dive. In other words, having to spend multiples of the price to achieve incremental improvements. I'm already feeling like the Liquid Platinum fits that description, and I'm hoping the RME fills the same spot. Of course, where that "bend" in the value curve lies is going to be relative for each person.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #2,568 of 5,150
I read about the synergy of the LP with certain DACs a few threads prior , wanted to know more about what DAC everyone is using and what has been your experience so far.

At first I was using the Metrum Onyx and this pairing was great. The sound was very full. Then I had the TT2 and my LP was not used. I now have the dCS Bartok. This pairing is simply incredible. Granted this is most likely not a common pairing. I enjoyed the LP more than the amp in the Bartok so I got a unit with no headphone amp. I am using it with my abyss so that might influence my taste. The LP brought more power to the table.

The combo of the Bartok and LP is intoxicating. It is not overly smooth or bright. There is really good bass impact the best I have heard with the LP and the stage has opened up. The imaging is really good.

I just got a new pair of gold lions that I am trying out too. I will give feed back after 100 hours of burn in.

Mar 9, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #2,569 of 5,150
At first I was using the Metrum Onyx and this pairing was great. The sound was very full. Then I had the TT2 and my LP was not used. I now have the dCS Bartok. This pairing is simply incredible. Granted this is most likely not a common pairing. I enjoyed the LP more than the amp in the Bartok so I got a unit with no headphone amp. I am using it with my abyss so that might influence my taste. The LP brought more power to the table.

The combo of the Bartok and LP is intoxicating. It is not overly smooth or bright. There is really good bass impact the best I have heard with the LP and the stage has opened up. The imaging is really good.

I just got a new pair of gold lions that I am trying out too. I will give feed back after 100 hours of burn in.

That's awesome, I'am using Abyss AB 1266 too , so you're advise is quiet helpful.

Mar 9, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #2,570 of 5,150
That's awesome, I'am using Abyss AB 1266 too , so you're advise is quiet helpful.

I also am auditioning my friends Formula S and Powerman. There is some hiss with his amp but if they can get it sorted I might buy it from him too. For me the LP pair pretty well with the Abyss TC. It is a pretty transparent amp so what is feeding it can make a substantial difference. Depending on budget maybe try one of the metrum dacs or the new sonnet orpheus from Cees. I have heard food things about denafrips as well. If you have the spare change kicking around the Bartok is really amazing. It is even better with a speaker setup.

Mar 9, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #2,571 of 5,150
I also am auditioning my friends Formula S and Powerman. There is some hiss with his amp but if they can get it sorted I might buy it from him too. For me the LP pair pretty well with the Abyss TC. It is a pretty transparent amp so what is feeding it can make a substantial difference. Depending on budget maybe try one of the metrum dacs or the new sonnet orpheus from Cees. I have heard food things about denafrips as well. If you have the spare change kicking around the Bartok is really amazing. It is even better with a speaker setup.
Thanks for the recommendations.
I don't think Bartok is spare change for me:) especially given we're in Australia and the dollar is not doing us any favours.
As for speaker setup, mine is a complete Vinyl frontend for my stereo setup as I used to have a Lampizator Level 7 but always went back to my records as they sounded a lot more sublime and life like. So decided the digital will be only for my headphone setup in the bedroom.

Mar 9, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #2,572 of 5,150
Thanks for the recommendations.
I don't think Bartok is spare change for me:) especially given we're in Australia and the dollar is not doing us any favours.
As for speaker setup, mine is a complete Vinyl frontend for my stereo setup as I used to have a Lampizator Level 7 but always went back to my records as they sounded a lot more sublime and life like. So decided the digital will be only for my headphone setup in the bedroom.

I don't think that the Bartok is spare change for any of us. If it was I would have bought the vivaldi.

Mar 10, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #2,573 of 5,150
I read about the synergy of the LP with certain DACs a few threads prior , wanted to know more about what DAC everyone is using and what has been your experience so far.
The LP pairs incredibly well with the Schiit Gungnir Multibit. I am using the Gungnir Multibit with Philips Miniwatt SQ E188CC 63' tubes and the sound is incredible.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #2,574 of 5,150
The LP pairs incredibly well with the Schiit Gungnir Multibit. I am using the Gungnir Multibit with Philips Miniwatt SQ E188CC 63' tubes and the sound is incredible.
Why yes, it does :)

For me, it's A2 Gumby ==> LP/Siemens CCa ==> Utopia & HEKv2 or A2 Gumby ==> LP/Brimar CV-2492 ==> Ether 2 & HE-6se. RAD-0 & Auteur like both about equally well.

Mar 11, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #2,577 of 5,150
Give this single a whirl in you other amp. Pretty certain you will love this more than the 63 Heerlen large O getter. You are going to have to buy another single though for the LP. Maybe the seller has another single?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Early-...be-Gold-Pin-D-Getter-New-Ratings/372657440954.

Mar 12, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #2,578 of 5,150
Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #2,579 of 5,150
To follow up my previous post from a few days ago: I jumped into the fully-balanced world head first. Ordered the RME and a balanced cable not long after my last post. Got it in yesterday and have been listening a bunch. Aside from the differences the RME brings, the balanced output is actually more different than I was expecting. At first I didn't like it because it took some time for my brain to readjust to the detail overload, so to speak. A lot more spatial layering and stuff for my brain to parse out. I attached a photo to show why I've been valuing compact equipment lately. Everything fits nicely on my desktop shelf so it's like a mini-rack. Overall, I feel like I've achieved my goal of maximizing high-performance value-for-money. The RME isn't cheap, but even at retail, I feel like I'm getting my money's worth between sound, features, and size. No remorse here at all. I will say though, that the Liquid Platinum in balanced is now just making me want to hear what the Liquid Gold X is capable of.

20200312_151040485_iOS.jpg

Mar 12, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #2,580 of 5,150
One of the rarest around! Nice find, and I know the d getter is always better. I would kill to have a pair of those!!
That is a fantastic price there, might have to wait a long time for a similar mate. I went a whole year to find a matched single for the Hamburg PCC88 PW but was totally worth it in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back