Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
May 22, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #2,161 of 5,150
Ouch! That hurts!
Hey - no one is born cool... not even me... gotta work on that!!
For reference - my photos before and after I got cool...

Before I got cool:
nerd.jpg

...now I am super cool:
9-johnny-depp.w330.h330.jpg

May 22, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #2,162 of 5,150
I had that DAC (Ares) before my Pontus.

Part of my odyssey searching for a way to 'soften' Utopia. Ares helped with the 'sharpness' of Utopia, but (to my ears) cost too much detail. This was all pre-LP out of SS amps, BHA-1 & V280.

Pontus is better, though still not as detailed as my Oppo Sonica, which w/ Laz Ref cable and LP, works very well w/ Utopia. A little softer with Pontus, a little more detailed with Sonica, but surprisingly small difference.

Somewhere along the line I'll try a Gumby, but I'm waiting for a killer deal :)

i too had a Pontus and looking to upgrade my CTH to LP. Was wondering how this Pontus + LP combo will sound.....as compared to my current setup.

A8D146FE-02AA-4462-A941-EC7BD28DC5F5.jpeg

May 22, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #2,163 of 5,150
i too had a Pontus and looking to upgrade my CTH to LP. Was wondering how this Pontus + LP combo will sound.....as compared to my current setup.

I have no complaints about the pairing. It’s what I’m pretty much listening to with all my cans at this point. At first I didn’t like the pairing with my Meze Empyrean, and preferred them out of my Bryston BHA-1. But I just rolled in some CV-2492 tubes that seem to make the Empy sound better. Bit of a pain to swap tubes just to change headphones though.

I’ve never heard the CTH, so I can’t help you with comparison to Liquid Platinum. I have seen others expressed the opinion that the liquid platinum is a step up.

May 22, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #2,164 of 5,150
I got my Gumby from schiit but thinking should i return it and wait for killer deal as well since it often comes in sale forums.
How does Pontus compare with Onyx? do you feel there is bass roll off as well with R2R DACs along with high frequency
I was planning to get Onyx but ended up getting Gumby.
HP will be 800s.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #2,165 of 5,150
I got my Gumby from schiit but thinking should i return it and wait for killer deal as well since it often comes in sale forums.
How does Pontus compare with Onyx? do you feel there is bass roll off as well with R2R DACs along with high frequency
HP will be 800s.
I’ve never heard Onyx — twice the price of Gumby though.

I don’t hear any bass roll-off from Pontus vs Oppo Sonica, my Ultra-Fi, or either of my TOTL DAPs (Cowon Plenue 2 & Opus#2).

May 23, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #2,166 of 5,150
HP will be 800s.

I have the onyx and lp. To me the pairing is great. I really enjoy it with the diana phi and clears.

I like the sound of the onyx more than the hugo2. I found the hugo2 to be a bit harsh with some music the mscaler did make it sound much better. It surprised me that the mscaler did not make as much of an improvement with the onyx as it did with the hugo 2.

The onyx really shines with my 2 channel setup though. It presents a wide sound stage and the bass has more depth and authority than delta sigma dacs. I find it better than my sp1000cu on the 2 channel. I now use the sp1000cu almost exclusively with my Solaris or khans. I will also use it with the diana when I want to listen away from the desk.

This might be my end game for a while. I am just struggling with wanting to try the pavane. I am not sure that I could justify the increase in price though as i have heard that thebonyx is close to the pavane. I read that even metrum recomend the onyx unless you do critical listening all the time.

May 25, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #2,167 of 5,150
Finally got off the fence and bough the LP. I must say, with 0 hours cold right out of the box it sounds pretty darn good!

Have already rolled:
6DJ8 Mullard UK
6DJ8 Amperex Herleen Orange Globe
6922 Amperex PQ Herleen (1967)
7308 Amperex NY, USA USN CEP (1965)
WE JW 2C51 (1953) w/ Garage 1217 adapter and they are quiet.......at least using SE cable!

All with Ether 2 hp
Can't wait for Tube Monger to ship the 6922 to 12A** adapters for some other tube options in the LP.

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #2,168 of 5,150
WoW
LP+ Gumby is a great combo. I'm not even using balanced connection as I don't have balanced preamp but with SE connection it sounds great.
The holographic soundstage is just wow.

May 27, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #2,169 of 5,150
WoW
LP+ Gumby is a great combo. I'm not even using balanced connection as I don't have balanced preamp but with SE connection it sounds great.
The holographic soundstage is just wow.

I am really enjoying it with the onyx as well. The lp is a great amp and a really great value.

May 27, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #2,170 of 5,150
I am really enjoying it with the onyx as well. The lp is a great amp and a really great value.
I'm very much intrigued by Onyx. Did you by any chance compared Gumby with Onyx?

May 27, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #2,171 of 5,150
I'm very much intrigued by Onyx. Did you by any chance compared Gumby with Onyx?

I have not had a chance to try the gumby. I was looking at the yggy but decided to give the onyx a shot. I am glad that I did. I am really liking it. I like it more than the qutest or hugo2 which I did compare it against. I actually prefer it to my sp1000cu in my speaker setup and with the LP as well. I think that you hear more of a difference with a 2 channel setup as opposed to headphones.

May 28, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #2,172 of 5,150
I am incredibly disapointed. That’s my second replacement Liquid Platinum that is deffective with the same problem. The LP is simply not starting and it’s not coming from any problematic setting fro my part. I had tones of of amps before withiut any problem.
Has anybody had experience with replacing the amp with Moniprice AFTER the 30 day period ?
I’m nervous avout this I have to say...
The power supply went bad on my LP and Monoprice was great and got a replacement amp out to me right away. Very impressive customer support. Kudos, viva la Monoprice.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #2,173 of 5,150
Hi, regarding that 5 year warranty. I have some unfortunately bad info for anyone who might have bought their Liquid Platinum from amazon.com and had it shipped to the UK (potentially affects Europe and others too).

My less that 6 month old LP died last week, it give a small 'pop' when turning on from the front power button and since has had no red or white light come on. I sought support from Monoprice who informed me that they will not honour the warranty and pointed me to the Limitations section of the Terms and Conditions of Amazon Export Sales.

Needless to say I'm pretty gutted about this, especially as I was a very happy user of the LP, with a recent addition of a SMSL SU-8 along with some balanced cables for my Mr Speakers AOFs

I may have to see about a repair locally at this point.

Anyway, read the small print and be aware if you have bought from amazon.com and have shipped to the UK that you may not have any warranty, let alone 5 years worth.

May 28, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #2,174 of 5,150
Hi, regarding that 5 year warranty. I have some unfortunately bad info for anyone who might have bought their Liquid Platinum from amazon.com and had it shipped to the UK (potentially affects Europe and others too).

My less that 6 month old LP died last week, it give a small 'pop' when turning on from the front power button and since has had no red or white light come on. I sought support from Monoprice who informed me that they will not honour the warranty and pointed me to the Limitations section of the Terms and Conditions of Amazon Export Sales.

Needless to say I'm pretty gutted about this, especially as I was a very happy user of the LP, with a recent addition of a SMSL SU-8 along with some balanced cables for my Mr Speakers AOFs

I may have to see about a repair locally at this point.

Anyway, read the small print and be aware if you have bought from amazon.com and have shipped to the UK that you may not have any warranty, let alone 5 years worth.
Damn! Really sorry to hear about that! I would cry, if I did not have my LP, and I am not kidding. I love this amp, and really hope you find a solution.

May 28, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #2,175 of 5,150
I am reading a lot of love for this amp. I wonder would it be better to just get one of these than go all the way to something like the ICan Pro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back