Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
May 29, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #2,176 of 5,150
I am reading a lot of love for this amp. I wonder would it be better to just get one of these than go all the way to something like the ICan Pro?
This amp really punches above it's price point. If you have hard to drive cans, or a good attenuator, it really is hard to beat this amp.

May 29, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #2,177 of 5,150
Damn! Really sorry to hear about that! I would cry, if I did not have my LP, and I am not kidding. I love this amp, and really hope you find a solution.

Thanks Wes, I'm hoping it's something relatively easy to diagnose and fix for someone in the business of working with amps.

I recall seeing a few reports of similar failures here, in my case I was very careful to never plug in the power lead to the unit whilst plugged into the mains. In fact it's been setup without any unplugging for over 3 months prior to this happening.

May 29, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #2,178 of 5,150
Thanks Wes, I'm hoping it's something relatively easy to diagnose and fix for someone in the business of working with amps.

I recall seeing a few reports of similar failures here, in my case I was very careful to never plug in the power lead to the unit whilst plugged into the mains. In fact it's been setup without any unplugging for over 3 months prior to this happening.
Please keep us posted, as to what you find out. The fact that you never unplugged anything, for the last 3 months, has me a bit concerned.

May 30, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #2,179 of 5,150
was tempted to try balanced input since I got Gumby but never had courage without preamp. However I ended up trying it out.
I had a blast but not sure how much beating my hearing took :)
Tempted to try out new Freya, wish it was little cheaper

Jun 1, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #2,180 of 5,150
For those still dealing with attenuation issues, there’s an OG Freya for sale for $350 over there.

Jun 1, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #2,181 of 5,150
For those still dealing with attenuation issues, there’s an OG Freya for sale for $350 over there.
:) Was looking at for sale forum here and then I realized

Jun 2, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #2,182 of 5,150
Got a pair of the legendary Amperex 7308s this weekend, and I was pretty underwhelmed at first. With my LCD-4, it sounded too "tubey" to me. The thickness of the lower mids overwhelmed the vocals, and I couldn't get any EQ settings to get the treble to sound balanced.

However...I decided to pull out my Verite that I had planned to sell, and holy smokes, the Verite sounds unbelieve with the LP+Amperex tubes. While some of the other tube I rolled (including the stock EH tubes) sounded pretty good with the LCD-4, the Amperex 7308 seems to pair better with headphones that are more on the analytical/detailed side. The Verite is pretty warm and lush overall IMO, but the treble can get fatiguing. The Amperex 7308s completely take away the fatiguing top-end and makes everything sound more lush and holographic. Bass notes and plucked strings seem to pop out with a 3D quality. Now I need to reconsider selling the Verites...

Jun 3, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #2,183 of 5,150
Got a pair of the legendary Amperex 7308s this weekend, and I was pretty underwhelmed at first. With my LCD-4, it sounded too "tubey" to me. The thickness of the lower mids overwhelmed the vocals, and I couldn't get any EQ settings to get the treble to sound balanced.

However...I decided to pull out my Verite that I had planned to sell, and holy smokes, the Verite sounds unbelieve with the LP+Amperex tubes. While some of the other tube I rolled (including the stock EH tubes) sounded pretty good with the LCD-4, the Amperex 7308 seems to pair better with headphones that are more on the analytical/detailed side. The Verite is pretty warm and lush overall IMO, but the treble can get fatiguing. The Amperex 7308s completely take away the fatiguing top-end and makes everything sound more lush and holographic. Bass notes and plucked strings seem to pop out with a 3D quality. Now I need to reconsider selling the Verites...
Interesting, how many hours do you have on those 7308's? Synergies with tubes, is real. I found the 7308, to be to forward for me, but sure were fun to listen to.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #2,184 of 5,150
Interesting, how many hours do you have on those 7308's? Synergies with tubes, is real. I found the 7308, to be to forward for me, but sure were fun to listen to.

About 50 hours, so more burn-in was a consideration, but I don't suspect the sound will change that drastically. I think I've just come to realize I generally like to pair Audeze headphones and their house sound with solid state amps.

Jun 15, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #2,185 of 5,150
Looked what the cat dragged in today...

cavalli_liquid_fire.jpg

Jun 16, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #2,187 of 5,150
Jun 17, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #2,190 of 5,150

Users who are viewing this thread

Back