Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jun 17, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #2,191 of 5,150
So is @runeight planning on letting another "Liquid Cat" out of the bag any time soon? A Monoprice or Massdrop Lau would be particularly mouth-watering, and will sell itself... But i am preaching to a choir : I am sure about that...:)

I am just hoping the choir will sing with me, about the Lau... I think the LP has done a great job whetting appetites already.:)

Jun 17, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #2,192 of 5,150
So is @runeight planning on letting another "Liquid Cat" out of the bag any time soon? A Monoprice or Massdrop Lau would be particularly mouth-watering, and will sell itself... But i am preaching to a choir : I am sure about that...:)

I am just hoping the choir will sing with me, about the Lau... I think the LP has done a great job whetting appetites already.:)
This has been mentioned before, I believe in this thread, and Alex Cavalli, said to hang tight, the future is still being written. So, I hope something is in the works!

Jun 17, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #2,193 of 5,150
Looked what the cat dragged in today...

I’m curious how it compare against the Liquid Crimson?

Beautiful amp by the way. :)

Jul 5, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #2,195 of 5,150
Sadly, my LP has stopped working. I'm not sure whether the problem is with the LP itself or with the stock external power supply. With the external power supply plugged into the LP and the power switch on the LP off, plugging the power supply into a wall outlet causes the LED on the power supply to glow a steady green. Pushing the power switch on the LP to on causes the LED on the power supply to blink rapidly, and the LED on the front of the LP fails to light up at all. @runeight should I do an RMA for the LP, the external power supply, or both?

Assuming I need to do an RMA for the LP, that's complicated by the tubemonger socket savers that are currently installed, which I can't remove without opening the LP case (and even then it would be challenging). Would it be better to open the case and remove the socket savers, or leave the socket savers in and hope that Monoprice will return them as requested?

Jul 5, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #2,196 of 5,150
I wouldn't leave the socket savers in may not get them back, the power supply should be very easy to test with a simple volt meter..

Jul 5, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #2,197 of 5,150
0158D780-B325-4DC8-B3A8-CC8549652F68.jpeg

Try getting a tube puller ....

Jul 5, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #2,198 of 5,150
Jul 5, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #2,200 of 5,150
I wouldn't leave the socket savers in may not get them back, the power supply should be very easy to test with a simple volt meter..

The power supply measures ok: 36V and 1.5A. It's curious that it blinks while the LP is turned on, though.

Try googling it ... There are some on eBay ... That is where I got mine ... Some are angled and others are straight

Yeah, I already googled (including a reverse image search) and checked on Amazon and eBay without finding anything similar before asking.

Jul 6, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #2,202 of 5,150
I just received my LP yesterday, pickup one up used on eBay and really love what I am hearing so far, can’t wait for my balanced cable to get here to see what difference it makes. I am using it with a pair of LCD 2s and would like to do some tube rolling to bring back a little more bass, how important is matched tubes with this dc coupled design? From what I read if we are using pre amp tubes it’s not as important as power tubes but wasn’t sure if that was relating to audio amps. Up until now I have been using a project ember so I only had to worry about getting the numbers to be fairly close on a single tube.

By the way what a difference in sound between the two amps, the ember was my first real amp after a little bear and never thought I would try anything better. I thought the lcds sounded their best on the ember with a 52 6sn7gt bad boy but the LP really brought out the upper range I didn’t know they were capable of. I did loose a fair amount of bass though.

Jul 7, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #2,204 of 5,150
Hi, regarding that 5 year warranty. I have some unfortunately bad info for anyone who might have bought their Liquid Platinum from amazon.com and had it shipped to the UK (potentially affects Europe and others too).

My less that 6 month old LP died last week, it give a small 'pop' when turning on from the front power button and since has had no red or white light come on. I sought support from Monoprice who informed me that they will not honour the warranty and pointed me to the Limitations section of the Terms and Conditions of Amazon Export Sales.

Needless to say I'm pretty gutted about this, especially as I was a very happy user of the LP, with a recent addition of a SMSL SU-8 along with some balanced cables for my Mr Speakers AOFs

I may have to see about a repair locally at this point.

Anyway, read the small print and be aware if you have bought from amazon.com and have shipped to the UK that you may not have any warranty, let alone 5 years worth.

There are two sellers on Amazon: Amazon itself and Monoprice. Which did you buy from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back