Monoprice Monolith Liquid Gold (X)
Dec 18, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #631 of 694
An issues of LGX ‘circuit protection’ being activated at musical crescendos?

I got some playing ManowaR's "March of the Heroes into Valhalla" at volumes louder than very loud with M1060C. However, it happens less often with the MLGX than with other SS amps I have.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #634 of 694
I just picked up an open-box Liquid Gold X from Monoprice the other day, very excited to receive it as I've heard tons of great stuff about it.

Is there anything I should know going in? Like, the consensus seems to be that the built-in DAC is trash. And is there a significant difference between the balanced output versus the single-ended output? I know some amps do sound different from different outputs, like my Singxer SA-1. Is this one such amp?

Jun 16, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #635 of 694
I just picked up an open-box Liquid Gold X from Monoprice the other day, very excited to receive it as I've heard tons of great stuff about it.

Is there anything I should know going in? Like, the consensus seems to be that the built-in DAC is trash. And is there a significant difference between the balanced output versus the single-ended output? I know some amps do sound different from different outputs, like my Singxer SA-1. Is this one such amp?
The consensus is that the single-ended output is "less than" in terms of sound quality. I believe even the manual itself notes that single-ended output is there for convenience and that the best performance comes from the balanced output. That being said, I've seen a small minority of users out there reporting that they find the single-ended output fine.

I also ordered an open-box Liquid Gold X and I'm banking on really only using it as an amp, balanced output.

Jun 16, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #636 of 694
.. Is there anything I should know going in? Like, the consensus seems to be that the built-in DAC is trash...
Not sure I would call the DAC trash. I use the LGX as an 'at work' system driving HD-6xx, and the DAC is fine for that purpose. At home I ignore the DAC, but appreciate having it there at work as I get much better sound from:

PC (USB out) ==> LGX
vs
PC (SE headphone out) ==> LGX

It's just that the amp section rises (far) above the DAC in terms of quality. Most of the bitching comes from folks who have much better stand-alone DACs and resent paying whatever the added cost of the DAC module/inputs/etc for a feature they'll never use. So it's I'll never use the DAC, wish they'd left it out and dropped the price $xxx.xx.
The consensus is that the single-ended output is "less than" in terms of sound quality. I believe even the manual itself notes that single-ended output is there for convenience and that the best performance comes from the balanced output. That being said, I've seen a small minority of users out there reporting that they find the single-ended output fine.

I also ordered an open-box Liquid Gold X and I'm banking on really only using it as an amp, balanced output.
Personally, I always use the balanced output, even when I'm using a SE analog source. But I've never performed a rigorous A/B test to compare SE vs BAL out.

As you can probably tell, I like the LGX very much. It was a great value @ $430.

Jun 16, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #637 of 694
Not sure I would call the DAC trash. I use the LGX as an 'at work' system driving HD-6xx, and the DAC is fine for that purpose. At home I ignore the DAC, but appreciate having it there at work as I get much better sound from:

PC (USB out) ==> LGX
vs

It's just that the amp section rises (far) above the DAC in terms of quality. Most of the bitching comes from folks who have much better stand-alone DACs and resent paying whatever the added cost of the DAC module/inputs/etc for a feature they'll never use. So it's I'll never use the DAC, wish they'd left it out and dropped the price $xxx.xx.

Personally, I always use the balanced output, even when I'm using a SE analog source. But I've never performed a rigorous A/B test to compare SE vs BAL out.

As you can probably tell, I like the LGX very much. It was a great value @ $430.
Yeah, I paid $280 for mine. Not the best timing, but I recently decided to pursue a replacement for my Singxer SA-1 and I couldn't pass this sale price up.

Jun 16, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #638 of 694
Yeah, I paid $280 for mine. Not the best timing, but I recently decided to pursue a replacement for my Singxer SA-1 and I couldn't pass this sale price up.
Wow. That's a great price, congrats!

Jun 16, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #639 of 694

Yes, it is. The sound is clearly better via balanced output, though the single-ended output isn't really bad, just not as good.

I never heard the DAC but have never seen anyone say a kind word about it. I have better DACs so never bothered trying the built-in one.

Jun 16, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #640 of 694

First - congratulations! The Liquid Gold X is a great amp with the right headphones. Don't press the button to change the gain while your headphone is connected. You will be rewarded with a very loud clicking sound that's quite uncomfortable. To my ears the balanced output sounds much better than the single-ended output. Also, I find that the Liquid Gold X is quite picky with headphones - it works wonderfully with some and not at all with others - to my ears at least. YMMV, as always.

Jun 16, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #641 of 694

PC (USB out) ==> LGX
vs

It would be a great deal at $430.00!
Did you ever have/do you have the LP? If so, how would you describe the differences?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #642 of 694
Wow, that's a great price!

Jun 16, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #643 of 694
It would a smoking deal at $430.00!
Did you ever have/do you have the LP? If so, how would you describe the differences?
Yep, cap-modded LP and LGX.

Differences really depend on the tubes in the LP as well as which cans I'm driving.

Is there a specific pairing you're interested in hearing about?

My cans are Atrium, Auteur, Caldera (only a loaner, moving out on Tuesday), Ether 2, HD-6xx, HE-560, HEDD, HEKse.

Jun 16, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #644 of 694
And now it's back up to $899.99. the THX 887 is $299.00 though.
And the LP is back in stock. Open box is on sale.

Jun 16, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #645 of 694
Yep, cap-modded LP and LGX.

Differences really depend on the tubes in the LP as well as which cans I'm driving.

Is there a specific pairing you're interested in hearing about?

My cans are Atrium, Auteur, Caldera (only a loaner, moving out on Tuesday), Ether 2, HD-6xx, HE-560, HEDD, HEKse.
Unfortunately we don't have any headphones in common. I was just wondering about the sound in general. I really enjoyed the LP with any decent tube. I was just wondering how they would compare? I have heard that the gain is still high with the gold despite having a gain switch.

I followed this amp when it first came out but, like many, I didn't need the DAC and the DAC/amp was expensive. But at $299.00-$399.00, it seems like a no-brainer, depending on the sound. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back