Monoprice Monolith Liquid Gold (X)
Oct 19, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #661 of 694
• As a fan of the Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum sound - with NOS 12AU7 tubes - when a NIB (new-in-box) Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Gold X was for sale ($690 USD vs $999 USD + ship/tax), I had to act.
B2B23781-A1B2-4FE9-A8A3-2E9B86948A91.jpeg

• Never mind that I will never use the LGX DAC. In effect, the price was ‘amp only’. LGX will be / is fed by Mystique via the balanced XLR ‘ins’.
• Sonically, everything I enjoy in LP is present in LGX. The only element missing is the ability to alter ‘hues’, alter ‘shades’ of sound via tube rolling.
• Plus: at the LGX 4x gain button setting (out), I get more useable volume knob rotation than with the fixed 5x gain setting in LP. Overall, ⭐⭐⭐️.
• EDIT: I do not plan to have capacitors modified or to use an external LPS. The LGX manual, like the LP manual, is very clear about not recommending external LPS.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #663 of 694
No 😳.

Oct 20, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #664 of 694
LGX is faring very well with Verite Open !!
ED49953C-81C9-42CA-A55E-25CCEC762C01.jpeg
Clear, dynamic, fully sculpted soundscape !

Oct 20, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #665 of 694
Uh oh. All of the sudden I'm not getting any sound output from multiple sources. Everything powers on but no sound. Anyine ever have this issue?

This one is a bit weird because there's two input buttons. There's the one to select the digital input, and the toggles between RCA, XLR, and Digital, are you sure they're both set up correctly?

That's the only thing I can think of for it.

Oct 20, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #666 of 694
If you have a DAC etc connected via the balanced rear XLR input sockets, the white LED should be next to “B” on the front far right.

Oct 20, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #667 of 694
Uh oh. All of the sudden I'm not getting any sound output from multiple sources. Everything powers on but no sound. Anyine ever have this issue?
Looks like you bought this fairly recently -- please forgive me if I'm telling you stuff you already know. As @jonathan c alluded, you could just have the inputs set up incorrectly.

There are two buttons, labelled 'I' and 'D'. The 'I' button (stands for Input) switches input between the two analog sources, 'B' for Balanced XLR input and 'S' for Single-ended RCA input to the amplifier while 'D' switches to one of the digital inputs to the DAC section. The 'D' button (stands for Digital) switches between the three digital sources, 'O' for optical, 'C' for Coax and 'U' for USB, when the Input is set to D(igital).

So if you're trying to listen to an analog source (output from a DAC or such), the right-most LED must be set to B or S, depending on whether you're listening to a balanced or single-ended source. If that LED is set to D, you won't get any sound from any analog source into the amp.

Conversely, if you're trying to listen to a digital source, the right LED must be set to digital, and then the left LED indicates which source you're connecting. So if you're trying to play music from a PC via USB, the right LED must be set to D, and the left must be set to U. Similarly, if you're trying to listen to (say) a streamer which has optical or coax out -- set the right LED to D and the left to O for an optical source, or C for a coax source.

Sorry if this is too pedantic or going over stuff you already know.

Unfortunately, if you've already worked through this stuff, then it sounds like you've got a broken unit :frowning2:

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #668 of 694
LGX truly has a friend in LCD-X (2016) !!
2B3382B2-6289-41EF-B971-8A555237848E.jpeg

The pairing is of ‘hand in glove’ quality 🙂.

Oct 23, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #669 of 694
Another felicitous combination …
86D57DF4-0C95-4C66-B2F4-8CC6D97F2FBD.jpeg

Not a surprise, really, since Liquid Platinum is such a fitting partner to Clear OG.

Oct 29, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #670 of 694
Reporting back on my dilemma. I narrowed the problem down to two issues....

1) My Hart Audio balanced cable isn't working on both my LGX and my L50. Very weird, did nothing to compromise the cable but that's small potatoes.
2) My LGX works via 1/4'' but it cuts out and restarts every 5 or so songs.

I definitely got a bunk unit which sucks bc I'm poor but also bc it sounds SO GOOD! I'm kinda stuck with this unit so I'll continue diagnosing the issues. I'm visually impaired so I can't read the blink codes on the LED but I hope this is a DAC issue and not an amp issue. I'll be plugging my Xduoo portable DAC into the SE and BAL to see how that works. Gonna try and take a video of my listening sesh and record it to show a friend the blink code and I'll be sending out my Hart cable to see if the BAL output is bunk.

Thank you to everyone who replied to help! This is a funky lil piece a kit so I appreciate any help even it's as simple as turn the knob, that's just proper troubleshooting.

Cheers

Oct 30, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #671 of 694
Reporting back on my dilemma. I narrowed the problem down to two issues....

1) My Hart Audio balanced cable isn't working on both my LGX and my L50. Very weird, did nothing to compromise the cable but that's small potatoes.
2) My LGX works via 1/4'' but it cuts out and restarts every 5 or so songs.

I definitely got a bunk unit which sucks bc I'm poor but also bc it sounds SO GOOD! I'm kinda stuck with this unit so I'll continue diagnosing the issues. I'm visually impaired so I can't read the blink codes on the LED but I hope this is a DAC issue and not an amp issue. I'll be plugging my Xduoo portable DAC into the SE and BAL to see how that works. Gonna try and take a video of my listening sesh and record it to show a friend the blink code and I'll be sending out my Hart cable to see if the BAL output is bunk.

Thank you to everyone who replied to help! This is a funky lil piece a kit so I appreciate any help even it's as simple as turn the knob, that's just proper troubleshooting.

Cheers

The Liquid Gold and Liquid Platinum do have mentoring for DC offset and ground. A bad cable or a headphone with bad wiring could trigger those amp protections. So yeah, it could be the cable or the headphones causing the amp to fault and go into protection. Don't blame the amp quite yet. Or it could be a bad power supply.

Nov 1, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #672 of 694
The Liquid Gold and Liquid Platinum do have mentoring for DC offset and ground. A bad cable or a headphone with bad wiring could trigger those amp protections. So yeah, it could be the cable or the headphones causing the amp to fault and go into protection. Don't blame the amp quite yet. Or it could be a bad power supply.

This is exactly what I'm hoping for. I also read that unit is supposed to get 100hours of continuous burn in so I'm in the process of that now. I just noticed it clicked off again so it's happening with or without headphones plugged in but on the bright side it comes back, and it still sounds awesome.

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #673 of 694
For Liquid Gold X, you really should be using the rear XLR inputs for connection to DAC / source and the front XLR headphone socket for headphones.

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #674 of 694
Liquid Gold X plies its trade exceedingly well with Sennheiser HD660-S2:
D119F03F-37E4-4023-AD8A-7E75FB51969F.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #675 of 694
This is exactly what I'm hoping for. I also read that unit is supposed to get 100hours of continuous burn in so I'm in the process of that now. I just noticed it clicked off again so it's happening with or without headphones plugged in but on the bright side it comes back, and it still sounds awesome.

It shouldn't be doing that. That makes me suspicious that you've either got a bad power supply or that your power from the wall outlet is very bad (either very bad for the circuit the amp is plugged in to or very bad for the whole house).

How much other stuff do you have plugged in to the same circuit as the amp? Do you have something like a 1000W gaming computer and a laser printer and a mini fridge and the rest of your audio gear all plugged in to the same circuit? Are all your outlets and circuits properly grounded? Do you get brownouts that dip below 100 volts? Do your outlets have a bad ground? Do you have noticeable static electricity in that room or around your home?

Your amp isn't acting right. Something is wrong. Not sure if it is the amp or the power supply or the power quality from the outlet. Something is not right. I've never had my Liquid Gold X or Liquid Platinum just click off or go into protection mode. The amp shouldn't be doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back