Monoprice Monolith Liquid Gold (X)
Sep 14, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #181 of 694
What do we think are the odds of this amp dropping quite a bit in price around November/Black Friday or in the next few months? Or is it possible stock will run out pretty fast? I remember rushing to buy the LP when it went on sale for $600 and then feeling a bit silly because the price never really went back up! I feel almost certain I’ll get one of these but I’d hate to spend $1100 (w/NYS tax) today and then see it available for much less in a month or two.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #182 of 694
What do we think are the odds of this amp dropping quite a bit in price around November/Black Friday or in the next few months? Or is it possible stock will run out pretty fast? I remember rushing to buy the LP when it went on sale for $600 and then feeling a bit silly because the price never really went back up! I feel almost certain I’ll get one of these but I’d hate to spend $1100 (w/NYS tax) today and then see it available for much less in a month or two.
My thoughts exactly. I definitely want to add this amp to my collection, but I am gonna wait for a good while. I am betting the price will come down. Also, I am gonna wait to hear how the Gold compares to a modded LP with top tier 12au7's in it, as well.

Sep 14, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #183 of 694
In stock now

I think that deserves a coveted Banderas Award. :k701smile:

200 (2).gif

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #184 of 694
My thoughts exactly. I definitely want to add this amp to my collection, but I am gonna wait for a good while. I am betting the price will come down. Also, I am gonna wait to hear how the Gold compares to a modded LP with top tier 12au7's in it, as well.
There is already a review up

It sounds like the main difference is gold x has more power reserves for planars and sound is more refined than LP stock tubes

For dynamic headphones you can likely get similar or better sound quality with LP with its flexibility and tubes of your choice for same or less money. LP obviously also has more flexiblity to adjust sound profile tube rolling, where with LGX you only get the stock sound profile it comes with.

All that being said, for those adverse to tubes/tube rolling, or who want a great all in one, or who have planars that require huge power the LGX is likely preferable choice over LP. For other scenarios LP probably a better deal.

If not going to use the LGX's dac, for those consumers the drop violectric v280 is going to be a tough competitor for it when it's available.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #187 of 694
Sorry, I got completely sidelined with work, but I have been progressively gathering impressions the whole time. I pulled most of the review together last weekend, after returning from my company's annual conference, which pretty much wiped out all my free time in January and February this year.

With that being said... the review is almost done, and it may end up being be my longest review, once all is said and done. Still, you and others have been waiting patiently, especially (@runeight), so I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for some impressions.

I know there is a lot of curiosity about how it compares to the Platinum. The differences really stood out with the always stubborn HE-6se. Here's an excerpt from my upcoming review:

"Comparing against the Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum with the classic hard-to-drive choice, the Hifiman HE-6se, showcased the differences between the amplifiers quite clearly. Given the popularity of the Liquid Platinum, this likely offers the best lens into the Liquid Gold X’s sound for many listeners.

Listening to “Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now)” from Nine Inch Nails’ classic The Downward Spiral revealed several spots where the Gold X surpassed the Platinum. The most noticeable difference came in terms of the bass delivery. With the Gold X, each kick drum landed with a thunderous blast that rattled my eardrums. Switching back to the Platinum, the kick drum registered with a modest “thwack”, registering only a fraction of the power.

Another difference I found was the depth layering. As the keyboard enters in the second verse, the Gold X places it at a pinpoint distance behind the other instruments, creating a real sense of magic. The Platinum’s placement is much hazier and generally flattened, in comparison. The same sounds are present, but their definition and placement just comes off as just a little sloppy when put in direct comparison against the Gold X.

The third and most obvious difference in comparing the two with the demanding HE-6se shows in the upper midrange and treble, where the Gold X keeps a firm grip of control. The Platinum comes off as thinner, splashier and uncontrolled, pitted against the Gold X’s iron grip. This, combined with the greater impact and presence on the low end, causes the Gold X to come off as a bit warmer overall. But if one dives just a little bit deeper and analyzes the sound, the reality is, the Gold X is in much firmer command of the driver, delivering a more even and accurate response."

(reading this entire string at warp speed & months after the fact)

Just read this entire review, and the section quoted above--all by itself--convinced me to buy this amp.

...which is flat-out insane. I had 7 amps; sold one, have 6 left. NOBODY NEEDS 6 AMPS. Yet I'll have to get one this GOLD X because:
  • I absolutely love my LC v2. It's the most amp in the smallest package and best price I know of. Not only does the tonality/voicing of this amp work all day for me--but the LC has the spooky habit of locking in unexpected synergies with headphones that are (like the LC) somewhat warm and bassy.
  • The LC made me curious about all things Cavalli--only to have my oft-trampled spirits crushed by the announcement of the closing of Cavalli. Until this thread alerted me to a new/old Cavalli design about to enter the market.
  • And "not for nothing" this review is by one of my favorite & most trusted reviewers & Head-Fi members.
Just put this amp on my "irrational purchases" radar. I needed a new amp compulsion, and this is it...

PS: I don't need the included DAC. Already have 1 multibit & 1 NOS DAC I love the sound of. Then again, if the DAC has above average sound, it's a happy accident for me.

Sep 14, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #189 of 694
Re: pharmaboy note tho at the end of the review the reviewer concedes that for all but the most power hungry planars the LGX sounds like a LP with some e188c herleen tubes (or equivalent). So unless you are the person with said super power hungry planars probably not worth an upgrade from LP, not to mention LP offers more flexibility in using tubes you like the best.

This is an amp I will definitely recommend to people without an LP, but I would struggle to recommend to LP owners unless they needed more power than LP has and also felt it was worth the cash lost to get this.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #190 of 694

It was only a matter of time until someone acted like a grownup & said something 100% sensible about the $$$ aspect of this amp.

How dare you?

Sep 14, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #191 of 694
Re: pharmaboy note tho at the end of the review the reviewer concedes that for all but the most power hungry planars the LGX sounds like a LP with some e188c herleen tubes (or equivalent). So unless you are the person with said super power hungry planars probably not worth an upgrade from LP, not to mention LP offers more flexibility in using tubes you like the best.

This is an amp I will definitely recommend to people without an LP, but I would struggle to recommend to LP owners unless they needed more power than LP has and also felt it was worth the cash lost to get this.

At one time I obsessed over the LP, but ultimately climbed down that tree and got over it. The main reason was the relatively high/fixed gain of the amp, something many commented on.

That wouldn't be much of a bother in my side-system (HP only; DAC has a 2.5V output level). But in my main system, gain issues abound--caused in part by the 3.0V output of my NOS DAC (MHDT Labs Orchid). I found out the hard way with another high gain amp, recently sold, that amps like that just don't work in my main system. Or I can force them to work by adding in a very nice sounding passive volume controller (transformer based) in-line ahead of the high gain amp...but that injects an add'l box & RCA I.C. in an already complex system.

I may just be fooling myself here--the lowest gain setting on the Gold X may not be low enough to eliminated my gain issues. But according to Dave's review, it does make a positive difference in matching to non-powerhog headphones (which probably correlates somewhat to system gain issues).

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #192 of 694
At one time I obsessed over the LP, but ultimately climbed down that tree and got over it. The main reason was the relatively high/fixed gain of the amp, something many commented on.

That wouldn't be much of a bother in my side-system (HP only; DAC has a 2.5V output level). But in my main system, gain issues abound--caused in part by the 3.0V output of my NOS DAC (MHDT Labs Orchid). I found out the hard way with another high gain amp, recently sold, that amps like that just don't work in my main system. Or I can force them to work by adding in a very nice sounding passive volume controller (transformer based) in-line ahead of the high gain amp...but that injects an add'l box & RCA I.C. in an already complex system.

I may just be fooling myself here--the lowest gain setting on the Gold X may not be low enough to eliminated my gain issues. But according to Dave's review, it does make a positive difference in matching to non-powerhog headphones (which probably correlates somewhat to system gain issues).
The LGX isn't much different than the LP (4x vs 5x gain) at lowest setting. You are still gonna have not much play in volume knob if that was the issue

If you have less power hungry headphone you should give Project Sunrise III a shot, optimized for lower impedence headphones and a lot cheaper too:
http://www.garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_002.htm

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #193 of 694
The LGX isn't much different than the LP (4x vs 5x gain) at lowest setting. You are still gonna have not much play in volume knob if that was the issue
I owned a LP for a little while. The main problem I had with it (and the reason I ended up selling it) wasn't the amount of gain it had, but the way it's poorly implemented volume attenuator rapidly ramped up from a low to high volume level. :confounded:

I really hope the volume pot on the Liquid Gold X has a much more gradual attenuation curve. :worried:

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #194 of 694
I owned a LP for a little while. The main problem I had with it (and the reason I ended up selling it) wasn't the amount of gain it had but the way it's poorly implemented volume attenuator rapidly ramped up from a low to high volume level. :confounded:

I really hope the volume pot on the Liquid Gold X has a much more gradual attenuation curve. :worried:
I think its exactly the same pot. It seems the difference is LP has fixed 5x gain only, while LGX offers a 4x and 6x setting. The reviewer who says 8'oclock on LP 5x = 9'oclock on LGX 4x seems to confirm this.

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #195 of 694
I owned a LP for a little while. The main problem I had with it (and the reason I ended up selling it) wasn't the amount of gain it had, but the way it's poorly implemented volume attenuator rapidly ramped up from a low to high volume level. :confounded:

Damn. Never thought of that. I have an amp, the Audio GD SA31-SE. Extremely powerful, capable design. It gives a choice of 2 "gain" settings, but the settings actually co-vary actual gain + the logarithmic slope of the digital volume pot. The low gain (which is so powerful I would never need a higher setting) has a low/gradual slope. The effect is to give one a much wider range of effective volume settings in a real world system.

I'm already starting to realize the Gold X might be too "hot" for my main system, curse the luck...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back