Monoprice Monolith Liquid Gold (X)
Sep 9, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #166 of 694
Sep 9, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #167 of 694
Looking past the release date of LG X to its first sales. The only thing better than buying a great sounding amp, is buying it on sale... The LP's $484 sale has just taught me that piece of wisdom

Of course, it might--no, it will--take Monoprice some time to think of putting the LG X on sale, so the waiting is also going to take some patience and discipline, neither of which is my strong suit, unfortunately. Still, I shall be reading the first impressions, and if it is ever confirmed that the LG X is an amp which can make my headphones sing like cherubs and unicorns on steroids, I wouldn't feel too ashamed to cave, proudly, and buy the damn thing in the first few weeks or months. It would actually be an honor...

However, the LG X's unicorns and cherubs better know how to sing, because they will really have to sing circles around those of my LP and modded LP in order for me to consider caving. We all know the LP is no slouch. I'll just say the LG X has got its work cut out for it, some huge shoes to fill, and an impressive record to beat...Let's just hope it delivers on all those counts. :relaxed: :relaxed:

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #168 of 694
Looking past the release date of LG X to its first sales. The only thing better than buying a great sounding amp, is buying it on sale... The LP's $484 sale has just taught me that piece of wisdom

Of course, it might--no, it will--take Monoprice some time to think of putting the LG X on sale, so the waiting is also going to take some patience and discipline, neither of which is my strong suit, unfortunately. Still, I shall be reading the first impressions, and if it is ever confirmed that the LG X is an amp which can make my headphones sing like cherubs and unicorns on steroids, I wouldn't feel too ashamed to cave, proudly, and buy the damn thing in the first few weeks or months. It would actually be an honor...

However, the LG X's unicorns and cherubs better know how to sing, because they will really have to sing circles around those of my LP and modded LP in order for me to consider caving. We all know the LP is no slouch. I'll just say the LG X has got its work cut out for it, some huge shoes to fill, and an impressible record to beat...Let's just hope it delivers on all those counts. :relaxed: :relaxed:
I have my eyes on this amp as well. Given the success of the LP and how a simple cap mod took it to the next level, I’m wonder if a similar mod could do the same for the LGx. Given the price of the LGx, corners had to be cut somewhere when comparing it to the original Liquid Gold.

Sep 9, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #169 of 694
Interesting.

The Monoprice Monolith Liquid Gold X is way smaller in size than the original Liquid Gold. Just curious how they compare in terms of sound quality?

Sep 9, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #170 of 694
I have my eyes on this amp as well. Given the success of the LP and how a simple cap mod took it to the next level, I’m wonder if a similar mod could do the same for the LGx. Given the price of the LGx, corners had to be cut somewhere when comparing it to the original Liquid Gold.
That is correct about the LG X. However, in Hansotek's review, he thought it drove the He 6SE better than the unmodded LP, so that seems to make even the un-modded LG X a promising Susvara amp-candidate already. So yes, it would be interesting to find out what a cap-modding can do for the LG-X too. Definitely.

Sep 9, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #172 of 694
giphy42.gif

Deep breaths....

Sep 10, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #173 of 694
That is correct about the LG X. However, in Hansotek's review, he thought it drove the He 6SE better than the unmodded LP, so that seems to make even the un-modded LG X a promising Susvara amp-candidate already. So yes, it would be interesting to find out what a cap-modding can do for the LG-X too. Definitely.
I have been wondering the same thing about the cap mod to the Gold, and will be watching along as well. My cap modded LP with 7730 tubes or any of my "top tier" 12AU7's w adapters is killer, and will be hard to beat. Also, in Hanostek's review he was using Holland E188CC Phillips Miniwatts, which are not the best tubes in the LP, so take that into consideration. I own and tried those same tubes and thought they were mediocre at best, with a shouty upper mids and lower treble, muddy mids, and one note bass. Don't get me wrong, that was a great review, but the tubes used were just OK compared to what some other tubes can do. So, with that said, it makes me think at best the Gold with a cap mod might be able to hang with a cap modded LP with top tier 12au7's (with adapters). So, if the Gold ever gets released I would love to know how it compares to my "hot rodded" LP.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #174 of 694
That is very promising indeed. Since it's a solid state amp, there won't be a need roll tubes. Downside is synergy with headphones might be a roll of the dice. It's either going to pair well with certain headphones or it won't.

Sep 14, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #177 of 694
In stock now
Yup, I got my in stock alert 14 minutes ago:
1:04 PM (14 minutes ago)
to me

Dear Valued Customer,

First of all, thank you for choosing Monoprice.com! The following item is now back in stock:

Monolith by Monoprice Liquid Gold Balanced Headphone Amplifier and DAC by Alex Cavalli
(Product Link: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38967)

Due to limited supply, all stock is sold on a first-come first-serve basis. Auto Notification does not guarantee either availability or its price. All prices are subject to change without notice.

Should you have any questions, please send an email to support@monoprice.com. Thank you so much for your great support.

Regards,

Sales Dept.
Monoprice, Inc.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post.692119/post-15863412

Monolith by Monoprice Liquid Gold Balanced Headphone Amplifier and DAC by Alex Cavalli - $999
In Stock This item should ship today (9/14/2020) if ordered within 47 minutes
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38967

That's funny, going up one level and sorting on the headphones section still shows it as - Notify Me :)
1600114642703.png

https://www.monoprice.com/category/audio-video/headphones/headphone-amplifiers?&menuDisStr=headphone amplifiers&sort=sellingPrice desc&TotalProducts=14

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #178 of 694
Aaaaand thus begins the epic battle of resistance

giphy.webp

I must resist...
I must resist...
I must resist...
must resist...
:relaxed: :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back