Monoprice Monolith Liquid Gold (X)
Apr 12, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #136 of 694
I don’t really know how to answer this, honestly, because I’m detecting we have different definitions about what constitutes “toe-tapping/head bobbing”. To me, the GLite Mk2 and GSX mini are very fast-paced amps - they are very dialed in on the attack and decay factor. The Cavalli stuff is more focused on body and detail. The LGX is not dissimilar from the LP in terms of pace, there is just more punch and resolution overall.

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. I think it is regarding what you're describing as body and punch, especially in the lower-bass region where the extra power really helps the LP dig deep. It seems like the LGX could really be what I'm looking for. Thankfully, there should be plenty of time to save. If I had the money to spare, I'd love to just eventually buy the LGX, GS-X Mini, and Phonitor E to compare all three back to back, then sell the other two. The iFi iCan Pro could also be interesting, but I've owned the iCan SE, so I'm not sure if that's the direction I want to go in.

Back to my previous comparison, I perceive the LP as having a very fast leading-edge transient (which square-wave measurements I've seen confirm) but the decay seems a little slower than the GLite Mk. 2, which I think gives the LP a more laid-back overall presentation. I think that the combination of fast initial transient and low-bass drive help the sense of pace with music involving bass-lines and such. I will say though, the GLite Mk. 2 is be no means a slouch in terms of pace; I only notice that difference in direct comparison, and if only listening to the GLite Mk. 2 on it's own for awhile, I don't find it lacking. It's still a gem at it's price point IMO.

The LGX also seems attractive in that it seems like it should have the power to drive any dynamic headphone, to include the HE-6 as you've indicated. I'd like to just keep one universal amp for whatever future headphones I may use that's versatile enough for all of them. I've owned an HE-6 many years ago and know just how demanding of a load it is. It's still one of my personal favorites alongside the HD-800 and HE-1000.

Apr 21, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #137 of 694
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38967

No info yet really. Kinda weird it has a built in DAC.

"The Liquid Gold X is a smaller version of Cavalli Audio’s most popular amp, the Liquid Gold. It is a fully balanced, differential front-end, solid state amplifier. In addition to the great analog sound of the original Liquid Gold, this amplifier includes a built-in fully balanced DAC section based on the AKM 4493 DAC. It has two gain settings and features USB, Coaxial, and optical digital inputs, as well as balanced and unbalanced analog inputs. The Liquid Gold also introduces our new MCU based products with computerized control of all the amp features including turn on sequencing and DC offset detection, giving you nearly everything you need in a single, compact package. "

Screenshot 2019-09-10 at 3.59.01 pm.png

There was a review here so maybe you can edit the OP and add some details. Looks to be not as powerful but had the same topology as the original and an added DAC.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazi..._Liquid_Gold_X_Headphone_Amplifier_Review.htm

Jul 14, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #138 of 694
Any update from anyone on this amp or the LP DAC? Date keeps getting pushed back, meanwhile competing products are being released left and right!

Jul 25, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #145 of 694
They should probably redesign it to change the chassis and remove the dac. Charge us more but give us a pretty case.
I think it looks awesome, just like the LP. I do have to say, at first I did not want the internal DAC, but now I think it just might be cool to have options (Gumby or Internal DAC), for different flavors. Assuming, Alex tuned the DAC, I am sure it will sound good. I will be buying one of these for sure, and will be wondering about how it will sound with Elna Silmic II caps put in it.

As far as the looks, it looks like an LP, and will make for a really good looking stack, right? That is sure how I plan to do it, stack them that is, with spacers for ventilation of course. I think it might look wierd trying to stack a different design, but that is just me. :wink:

So, sub the Jotunheim seen below for a Liquid Gold, and I am set. I think the LaU would look better as well as sound better instead of the Jot in my setup, and I really want one asap.
20200621_093937.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #148 of 694
dbvr4jk-a27153ff-ba5b-422a-b8ac-b4faf476f1d0.gif
Wake me up when we get there.... :sleeping:
Yeah the delays are becoming a joke. It's hard to blame Covid for all the delays with this amp!

Jul 26, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #150 of 694

Users who are viewing this thread

Back