Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #616 of 841
Current DAC / Amp: Schiit Bifrost 4490 and Lyr 2 (stock tubes)
Headphones: LCD-2, HD6XX and HE-500
Testing only in single-ended (non-balanced)
Matched volume output using a dB meter app and constant pink noise playback. It's not ideal but its good enough.
Firmware v1.03

So far I've only used the LCD-2 for listening and put in a few hours with both setups. I currently prefer my Schiit stack.

On paper the Monolith Desktop would be a nice sidegrade/upgrade for me. Takes less space, less heat, balanced option, and EQ option. I have noticed that some songs have harsh notes, that I haven't experienced on the Schiit stack. I'll have to test it the other headphones later. I'll probably end up reselling this unit.

I'm still running 1.01 firmware. Any advantages to upgrading to 1.03?

Jan 10, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #617 of 841
I just got the monoprice thx aaa 788 amp/dac and when i plug in my hifiman edition XX over balanced I get the error code "temperature protection" then the unit powers off. I have to unplug, replug, and re-turn the unit on afterwards. They work on SE fine, and my M1070s work fine over balanced and SE. Any ideas?

Jan 10, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #618 of 841
I just got the monoprice thx aaa 788 amp/dac and when i plug in my hifiman edition XX over balanced I get the error code "temperature protection" then the unit powers off. I have to unplug, replug, and re-turn the unit on afterwards. They work on SE fine, and my M1070s work fine over balanced and SE. Any ideas?
It could be an issue with the power supply. I would contact Monoprice for support.

Jan 31, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #619 of 841
Really struggling with this amp. I guess because I dont really know what Im doing but Im struggling with the sound cutting out when I raise the volume. Im just left with intermittent stabs. Im using JVC SZ2000s and cannot get any kind of big sound never mind head rattling bass.

I'm really confused, my old Soundblaster E5 is better than this.

Jan 31, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #620 of 841
Really struggling with this amp. I guess because I dont really know what Im doing but Im struggling with the sound cutting out when I raise the volume. Im just left with intermittent stabs. Im using JVC SZ2000s and cannot get any kind of big sound never mind head rattling bass.

I'm really confused, my old Soundblaster E5 is better than this.
Can you elaborate more? What's exact set-up. What you mean "stabs" ?

Jan 31, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #621 of 841
I'll turn the volume up and the sound cuts out only to intermittently play a "flash" of song. As if the volume is too much for the amp to process and it keeps cutting out.

I thought maybe there is some kind of volume limiter setting but I cant find anything.

Ive never had this with amps before, usually amps keep going until the headphones distort. I must be missing something but I really don't know what....

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #625 of 841
I received my Monolith desktop headphone amp/dac last week, I must be lucky, there is no issue whatsoever, plug my Sennheiser HD800S headphones to the balanced output, sounds brilliant, I rate this Monolith amp over my Naim DAC V-1, Marantz HD DAC1, Fiio Q5s and Q5. However when I tried the SE output with my Sennheiser HD650/600, I am not that impressed; but the balanced output, just WOW.
update: after few weeks' break-in time, listened to the SE output again, it actually sounds pretty good too, but the balanced output still sounds the best for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20200213_141822.jpg
    IMG_20200213_141822.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #626 of 841
And when I received my Monolith, I found it's not double boxed, so imagine if the delivery guy drop it by accident, there is no protection at all; and the Monolith box itself has no seal or tape to prevent someone else from opening it...but again, I must be lucky, my unit is not faulty.

Feb 19, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #627 of 841
And when I received my Monolith, I found it's not double boxed, so imagine if the delivery guy drop it by accident, there is no protection at all; and the Monolith box itself has no seal or tape to prevent someone else from opening it...but again, I must be lucky, my unit is not faulty.

Mine was double boxed and arrived fine. For the price I doubt you can beat this amp/dac combo, especially if you make use of its features. Dirac is quite nice for 70s stuff and I use the shelf EQ pretty much daily. I personally see no difference in audio quality between balanced and SE, other than my HE-560 not needing to be cranked up with balanced.

But yea, the hype train on this amp was crippled by ASR's half assed rage review, which he corrected later.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #630 of 841
I finished testing the Monoprice unit with the LCD-2, HD 6XX, and HE-500 headphones. LCD-2 sounds better on Schiit stack. HD 6XX and HE-500 sound better on the Monoprice unit.
The Schiit stack added more color but was a little bit muddy. The LCD-2 sounded much more engaging on this stack. Both Schiit units run pretty hot. The Monoprice unit is barely warm to the touch after a few hours, while you can't touch the Schiit stack longer than a few seconds after 15 minutes.

The Monoprice unit has a neutral and clean sound thanks to THX AAA. I could notice small details on quiet tracks that I couldn't with the Schiit stack. THX is oddly owned by Razer now. Maybe they'll start adding this tech to their gaming hardware.

I decided to keep the Monoprice unit since its a great value at $360 (Retail $500). It's more versatile than the Schiit stack with I/O and EQ options. The DRC and DIRAC features might be better for movies and games, but aren't very interesting for music. The Schiit stack will sadly go for sale after years of service. Now I'm looking into headphone upgrades. Lesson learned, don't click on audio review links. Save yourself from the upgrade bug.

Is there still a way to purchase this at $360? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back