Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Oct 20, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #601 of 841
Current DAC / Amp: Schiit Bifrost 4490 and Lyr 2 (stock tubes)
Headphones: LCD-2, HD6XX and HE-500
Testing only in single-ended (non-balanced)
Matched volume output using a dB meter app and constant pink noise playback. It's not ideal but its good enough.
Firmware v1.03

So far I've only used the LCD-2 for listening and put in a few hours with both setups. I currently prefer my Schiit stack.

On paper the Monolith Desktop would be a nice sidegrade/upgrade for me. Takes less space, less heat, balanced option, and EQ option. I have noticed that some songs have harsh notes, that I haven't experienced on the Schiit stack. I'll have to test it the other headphones later. I'll probably end up reselling this unit.
Are you connecting the bifrost to the monolith? Or using monolith as standalone.

Oct 21, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #605 of 841
I finished testing the Monoprice unit with the LCD-2, HD 6XX, and HE-500 headphones. LCD-2 sounds better on Schiit stack. HD 6XX and HE-500 sound better on the Monoprice unit.
The Schiit stack added more color but was a little bit muddy. The LCD-2 sounded much more engaging on this stack. Both Schiit units run pretty hot. The Monoprice unit is barely warm to the touch after a few hours, while you can't touch the Schiit stack longer than a few seconds after 15 minutes.

The Monoprice unit has a neutral and clean sound thanks to THX AAA. I could notice small details on quiet tracks that I couldn't with the Schiit stack. THX is oddly owned by Razer now. Maybe they'll start adding this tech to their gaming hardware.

I decided to keep the Monoprice unit since its a great value at $360 (Retail $500). It's more versatile than the Schiit stack with I/O and EQ options. The DRC and DIRAC features might be better for movies and games, but aren't very interesting for music. The Schiit stack will sadly go for sale after years of service. Now I'm looking into headphone upgrades. Lesson learned, don't click on audio review links. Save yourself from the upgrade bug.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #607 of 841
I've had the THX 788 for a few months now (Schiit modi/magni stack previously) and love using it on my Nighthawks and LCD2CB's. I use this primarily on my home PC that I have setup for gaming, movies, music and video chat. To my ears everything sounds more clean and clear compared to the Schiit stack, from foot steps to voices there just seems to be more seperation and clarity. I also have decided that I like the DAC section on the THX more than the DAC that is implemented in my Vanatoo T 0s, again everything just sounds a little less muddy and muffled when compared. Thanks for reading my little uneducated review :).

Oct 24, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #608 of 841
Been a pleasure going through the thread.

Has anyone heard the 788 with HD800's? I was curious since I've seen comments that the synergy between the massdrop 789 and the 800's weren't great.

I currently have the 800's with the massdrop lcx, and the sound is relatively smooth and warm to my ears. The treble peak doesn't seem to bother me as much as others (maybe because I pretty much only use them for classical) and I'm craving a little more detail from them.

Is this amp dac a good choice?

Oct 25, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #609 of 841
I currently have the 800's with the massdrop lcx, and the sound is relatively smooth and warm to my ears. The treble peak doesn't seem to bother me as much as others (maybe because I pretty much only use them for classical) and I'm craving a little more detail from them.

Is this amp dac a good choice?

Are you using LCX balanced? Because single ended on LCX is really crappy.

Oct 25, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #610 of 841
Are you using LCX balanced? Because single ended on LCX is really crappy.

Have to agree with you that the SE output is really quite lacking. I am using them balanced, which is more than enough power to drive the 800's, but the sound is noticeably softer and warmer. Definitely makes the 800's much more tolerable over long listening sessions, but definitely not unleashing the 800's full potential.

Perhaps the Monolith's may fare better, eyeing the 788's as holiday discount season is comin up :)

Nov 4, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #611 of 841
After weeks of hating the volume knob I ended up liking it very much! it soothes my OCD for volume matching.

Nov 4, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #613 of 841

I have multiple headphones and speakers to control and now I know the exact volume needed every time I switch between them. It's also true for different tracks mastering, like for example if a classical piece is loud at -30s dB I know it does not have good dynamic range, as good tracks for those are around -20 dB.

It's also very helpful to know the full output level needed to control the volume digitally for each headphones/speakers, for example I adjust the amp at -15dB and then control the speakers loudness with my phone with Spotify connect :) (same with headphones) so no need for remote control when I am laying back listening.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #614 of 841
I've used this for a month without driver installations by myself. It worked fine and used 32-bit / 358KHz. Now I tried the Xmos drivers from Monoprice's site. It has more fullfilled sound at same volume but it can only use 32-bit / 192KHz. I had a difference in sound processing when playing R6S and I liked more for the bigger sample rate.

I think it sounds better with Xmos and 192 but did anyone get to use bigger sampling rate with different drivers, what drivers you used etc?

E: It was better without Xmos drivers.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #615 of 841
Can I mod this unit so that I can bypass the internal ADC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back