Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #406 of 841
My Windows 10 Pro, Fall Edition, (using the USB connection) states: "MONOLITH DESKTOP HPA Driver is unavailable"

Just installed the posted XMOS.dll and the error is gone. What I didn't think to do was try the USB connection before installing the XMOS driver. With the driver, the playback is fuller and louder than my other setup (Win 7, with TOS Link). I'd be curious to know if anyone notices a difference with and without the driver.

Now if my balanced cable would show up, I can really start my testing.

Interesting. You shouldn't need to use drivers on Windows 10 (post creator's edition) since it has it incorporated into the OS already. The only thing missing from the Win10 default package is the DFU Loader for firmware upgrades, but seems like you don't need it with the app that Monoprice provided.

Mar 7, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #407 of 841
Got this email just now:

Dear Monoprice Customer,

We are reaching out to inform you of a new firmware update that is available for your Monolith by Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier and DAC with THX AAA Technology.

The update is to address a minor phasing issue with the RCA inputs on the back of the unit and is currently available for download on the Product Page (Firmware v1.03) along with the Firmware Update Guide.

If you require any assistance or have any questions please contact us and we will be happy to assist.

We thank you for being a valued Monoprice customer and hope you are enjoying your Monolith Amplifier!

Sincerely,

Monoprice Support

Pleased that it has now been fixed,
that phasing issue impacts on Dirac Sensaround cutting the bass reproduction

Mar 7, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #409 of 841
Got mine with the coupon. Installed XMOS Win7 drivers from Monoprice, flashed to V1.03, setup Windows sound (no XMOS Control Panel) for 192/32 - high as it'd go. Then fired up Tidal MQA Sgt. Pepper's, A Day in the Life busted out the vintage AKG-240DF 600Ohmers that nothing can drive, -10db on the volume... I near cried, pass.

Rather outstanding actually... Suppose Win 10 sound system will allow up to our 768k rate.

I notice V1.03 also gives us 5 band PEQ in addition to the configurable shelves. Neato! Thought it was 3 band but forgot to check before I flashed it.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #410 of 841
It was 5 band PEQ prior to ver. 1.03

I’m still putting around with the Q factor, as the manual isn’t overly clear on the ratio to the resulting bell curve. For my MP M1060s I just left the Q value to the default of 1, when I put in a cut at 5K

Mar 7, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #411 of 841

I’m still putting around with the Q factor, as the manual isn’t overly clear on the ratio to the resulting bell curve. For my MP M1060s I just left the Q value to the default of 1, when I put in a cut at 5K

Dang I lost my M1060 REW measurement file in a hard drive crash, otherwise I'd run the EQ simulator for you. The larger the Q the smaller the EQ band is.

Mar 8, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #412 of 841

I'm still recovering from trolling reviews and spec sheets. Can't even recall which whizbang I think did what. At least MP helped the decision with that coupon. Heck of a piece.

Maybe time come FW 2 the nice little OLED can show the PEQ curve and label it Maybe next manual or measurements will tell us. I'm fiddling with Q 0.5 @~50Hz as a virtual sub control.

Mar 8, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #413 of 841
I got mine in the mail yesterday (from the sale day), found a windows computer, flashed it with minor headaches (XMOS drivers), and then hooked it up. Sounds great using Audirvana+ and my modded 58X's. Don't have a ton of dac/amp's to compare but it was worth the money for me as a dual unit. Good dacs, good amps, sounds crystal clear with no perceivable noise. Had to force DSD as Audirvana didn't detect it but other than that, all good.

Mar 8, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #414 of 841
I'm still recovering from trolling reviews and spec sheets. Can't even recall which whizbang I think did what. At least MP helped the decision with that coupon. Heck of a piece.

Maybe time come FW 2 the nice little OLED can show the PEQ curve and label it Maybe next manual or measurements will tell us. I'm fiddling with Q 0.5 @~50Hz as a virtual sub control.

I just got the ADI-2 DAC and it does this. :) Has 5 band PEQ and displays the curve. It's pretty handy. I do use Room EQ Wizard to set up my EQ first and then just input it into either the ADI-2 DAC or the THX-AAA amp but having the visual makes it more fun and confirm what I am doing.

Mar 9, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #416 of 841
How's this compare to jotunheim with dac?

I'm coming from Geek Pulse standard and want something balanced. Main headphones is he560, also use a pair of swans powered desktop speakers with the rca out.

Mar 14, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #417 of 841
I got myself in a bit of a bind and I'd appreciate some assistance. I have a unopened RME ADI-2 DAC and I'm now thinking for my use case I should have just got the Monoprice #24459. I would say 80% of my listening is from my speakers (LSR305) and the rest headphones. I just want the cleanest sound possible without getting to the point of diminishing returns, and I fear I did that with the ADI-2 DAC. I'd like to blame Z-Reviews, but he didn't force me to do it. :money_mouth:

Anyhow, I used to have a TEAC UD-H01 hooked to the LSR305's via XLR. I'm a huge fan of hardware EQ after having a terrible time with the likes of Equalizer APO and others with the TEAC unit. A couple of months ago I purchased the Mayflower ARC, the JDS labs Subjective 3 hardware EQ, and the JDS labs OL Switcher to control volume. The ARC decision was in large part due to the mic input. A decision I now mostly regret. The mic input aside, even with the Subjective 3 I'm not totally satisfied with the sound. It's a bit muddy sounding no matter what I do. Granted I listen to mostly metal, and the way it's mastered is......well.....lets say less than par. Wanting to ditch the 3 unit stack and go back to a all in one unit with built in EQ, I narrowed it down to the Monoprice or the RME. If the Monoprice had XLR out I would have purchased it without thinking twice, but the unknowledgeable side of me said I had to have XLR out instead of just RCA.

I'm rambling. At the end of the day -

Do I use the ADI-2 DAC, return it and get the Monoprice, or return it and keep what I have?

Again, my use is mostly the LSR305's for music and gaming, and headphones when playing online with friends.

Mar 14, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #419 of 841
The RME is better in every way. I have both.

Plus pretty lights.

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #420 of 841
Wow, wish I had your problems... and a RME.

This
https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Female-Hi-end-Silver-Adapter/dp/B010NCDVIW

will let you tap the balanced headphone out and get XLR from there. You can also rewire the XLR-In to an Out this way- see the posts on MP for the pinouts and warranty voiding info.

Thanks, I'll look into it. If it requires soldering though I'm not sure I'm up to the task.

The RME is better in every way. I have both.

Plus pretty lights.

Sure but is it $600 better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back