Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #286 of 841
Been years since I came to this site... I see somethings never change. Comparing an amp that doesn't require firmware on this issue is vacuous, even for these forums.

Fellow Seattle purchaser ^^^ bought day one, also 1.01 firmware. I'd be curious of ANYONE other than Amir-TotallyNotAToppingShill has run into this lol?

Nov 28, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #287 of 841
Been years since I came to this site... I see somethings never change. Comparing an amp that doesn't require firmware on this issue is vacuous, even for these forums.

Fellow Seattle purchaser ^^^ bought day one, also 1.01 firmware. I'd be curious of ANYONE other than Amir-TotallyNotAToppingShill has run into this lol?

Amir is also a Seattlelite. Don’t give him such a hard time. :) It does suck that his unit was preproduction and that should not have happened. Hopefully he can review a production unit with proper updates. To be fair, I did get a Topping DX7 and it has served me well. I think the MonoTHX sounds cleaner and detailed than it but I cant measure any amps. I do miss the remote.

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #288 of 841
Monprice's return process sucks.
You need to register it, and then just wait, wait for them to contact you
for next step (register is 1/7 steps), and it is like forever.
Guess that I am spoiled by Amazon.

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #291 of 841
Monprice's return process sucks.
You need to register it, and then just wait, wait for them to contact you
for next step (register is 1/7 steps), and it is like forever.
Guess that I am spoiled by Amazon.
I've been trying to return something that I ordered along with the Monoprice THX, they said it takes 3 days max but it's been over 5 -_-

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #293 of 841
Amazon has definitely spoiled everyone (including me). But I know a lot of other sites that have old skool RMA process that are not fully automated and require actual pre-approval by a real person first.

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #294 of 841
Interesting. I went through Monoprice's RMA process to return my unit on 11/26, and it was taken care of within 24 hours. I've already boxed it up and shipped it back to them.

Nov 28, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #296 of 841
So everyone is returning it based on Amir's bad experience or your own bad experience?

Nov 28, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #297 of 841
My return is partially due to Amir's findings, even though I'm fully aware he evaluated a unit that shipped out with beta firmware installed. While I generally liked the unit's functionality, I was concerned with reliability, resale value, and quality control. The other thing that bothered me is I felt Monoprice's "THX" advertising on this was a bit deceptive when THX had no hand in designing the unit.

Nov 28, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #298 of 841
My return is partially due to Amir's findings, even though I'm fully aware he evaluated a unit that shipped out with beta firmware installed. While I generally liked the unit's functionality, I was concerned with reliability, resale value, and quality control. The other thing that bothered me is I felt Monoprice's "THX" advertising on this was a bit deceptive when THX had no hand in designing the unit.

I can understand some of those concerns. I've opened up the board - it looks actually pretty well put together -- if not one of the better looking boards I've seen. UI could have been a little better but overall I think the unit is pretty good for its price.

THX licensed the technology to them. I don't see how that's deceptive. It's like buying a Northface or Arcteryx "Gore-Tex" jacket but WL Gore didnt design the jacket.

Nov 28, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #299 of 841
Mine has Beta firmware and i am returning it to Monoprice. I will lose US$77 for delivery costs to me plus whatever postage back to them. Overall loss is more than US$100 for their mistake in sending me a preproduction firmware unit.

What else can i do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back