Monolith MX7000 Premium 1GB Review
Mar 28, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #48 of 112
Band0 is 60Hz and Band4 is 14 kHz , thats all i found in the japanese manual on their homepage :wink:
I think its just an ordinary graphic eq, you have to listen to know how good it works and how effective it is.
At the moment I´m still waiting for my monolith from amazon.will test it and when decide to return or keep it.

Helfried

Mar 29, 2006 at 11:33 AM Post #50 of 112
Hi Owners!

Can I use the EQ (SRS Wow) with the radio?

I read somewhere, that lifetime of lithium-polymer batteries less than lifetime of lithium-ion batteries. About 2-4 years. What can I do if included battery dead and warranty out of time?

Can I use the player/recorder function until USB connected to PC or external (ie.:car) recharger? I would be happy if I could.

THX.

Mar 29, 2006 at 12:31 PM Post #51 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by starpause
EstarLab got a page up on the monlith premium mx7000
580smile.gif

http://www.estarlab.com/product/mx_7000.php

looks like a 2gb version will be availible ... wonder how long before we see that one ... if only i could read korean.

What would you like to know? I am Korean so I can read it and translate whatever you need.

Helps being bi-lingual.

Let me know.
Joonmo

Apr 2, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #52 of 112
Good news, my MX-7000 (2GB) and CX-300 arrived yesterday, in perfect condition. Nice job, advancedmp3players!

Please mind I have very little experience with other portable audio or headphones or hi-fi in general, so don't take my opinions for granted. I just want to give my opinion to other possible buyers.

Anyway, my first impressions of the player are very good, with some flaws.
It looks as good in real as on the pictures, a solid aluminium-with-glossy-screen. Very stylish. It's quite heavy and big, but to me that's a plus since I associate big, heavy things with quality :wink:. It also makes you won't lose our 200-british-pound player in your pockets. The slider on the right side however, makes a rattling noise and feels a little loose, which is a shame since all the other buttons feel strong and long-lasting. I hope it lastst longer than it feels.
The screen is clear and looks great, although its smaller than I expected (it's quite a lot smaller than the black upper part of the player, which I expected to be the size of the screen). It's impossible to read it in direct bright sunlight, but I expect that's mostly the case with little screens like this designed to save energy... It's very sensitive for fingerprints too, as you would expect.
The amount of options is, as you know, huge. The only problem with this is that, since the amount of buttons is limited, everything works with not always easy to understand menus and button combinations. It takes a while to get it, but its not that hard if you are decent nerd like me
smily_headphones1.gif

The manual covers all the functions but has some flaws. First of all is the cheesy translation, but worse is that some important details seem to simply have been forgotten. For exemple, there is mentioned that you can put the frequencies and names of the radio channels in a text file "broadcat.txt" on the player. But I couldn't find how exactly I should format the data.
I finally found it in some old manual on their support forum for another player.
By the way, you should do it like this: 104100, 4FM

The Sennheiser earplugs are very good too. They are very sensitive, level 3 turns out to be comfortable for use in a silent environment, and the player can go all the way up to 30! They do effectively damp the outside noise. It doesn't seem that impressive with only the plugs in your ears, but with the music on you notice that it works indeed. This also means you hardly can hear cars, trucs and trains aiming for you, so I will only use these in "safe" environments
smily_headphones1.gif
. You should be careful to use the right size (there are three different sizes) of plugs since plugs too little will offer you a much thinner sound than ear-filling plugs. They feel a little weird for the moment but I guess you get used to it. They do indeed make noises when you walk or move (when the cable rubs to your clothing), but since they are the result of your own movements you get used to it really fast, and when you're sitting still, there aren't any at all. Music sounds full and clear, bass is all right.

I can't tell you anything about battery playing time yet. The transfer rate with USB 2.0 is all right in my opinion.

Funny detail: when I wanted to set the date, I saw the date was 10/00/00, which means the player was charged and resetted ten days before, I guess in the factory. Nice to know it comes "straight from the source"
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry for all my spelling and grammatical errors
smily_headphones1.gif

If you have any questions, ask away!

pictures:
http://users.skynet.be/CyberMonkey/images/monolith4.jpg
http://users.skynet.be/CyberMonkey/images/monolith3.jpg
http://users.skynet.be/CyberMonkey/images/monolith2.jpg
http://users.skynet.be/CyberMonkey/images/monolith1.jpg

Apr 4, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #53 of 112
hey Cybermonkey,

Thanks for the photos and stuff, I've been following this thread for a couple days.

I've been looking for a good mp3 player with line-in recording for a while now. I just ordered the MX7000 yesterday from advanced mp3 players. I live in Canada, so I'm not sure how long it'll take to get here, I hope I don't have to pay any import fees or anything.

I was going to wait and get the iaudio 6, but when I found out that the cowon players only record at max 128kbps and only in WMA, I decided not to go that route.

Anyway, I have a few questions that I am curious about and maybe you could answer them for me, but maybe not actually:

Do you (or anyone else here for that matter) know if the player can be dissassembled easily or at all? I know it is manufactured using some kind of special welding process, but I've seen pictures of it dissassembled. I would like to know because in the future I'd like to be able to replace the battery, and also like you mentioned, the slider switch seems a bit unsturdy, I was thinking of making a new one that fit better or in case it breaks, I'd like to be able to fix it.

I guess I'll know the details about how it has been manufactured once I get it. I like taking apart my electronics. And this player is pretty sweet looking except for that slider switch. I wonder why they didn't just make 3 separate buttons, play, ffwd and rev? seems like it would have looked so much nicer and would have been more reliable, and probably cheaper to manufacture.

Anyway, I guess I'm pretty excited to get it, I've never owned an mp3 player before.

Apr 4, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #55 of 112
Yeah I'm pretty sure there are screws behind those, I will find out soon enough though I guess.

Hey have you seen these?

MX7000 Silver Skin

MX7000 Gold Skin

Grey Skin Package

I think these would look best on the black versions of the player, and not too nice on the silver ones, anyway... I just though they were neat. I wouldn't get them though. They have them for iPods too, surprise.

I too will post a review here once I get the player

Apr 11, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #56 of 112
Well, I just got it a few hours ago.

I can say I am disappointed. Mainly because I wanted to use this for field recordings as an alternative to my MZ-N10 Minidisc recorder. But, it looks like I'll be needing a microphone amp in order to get it loud enough. The MX7000 is certainly ovepriced for what it is. I will post a full review on it though. It does have some good points for sure, mainly the sound quality and its size. I upgraded the firmware to 1.10 and that looks like it didn't do a whole lot, it added some VBR support and a volume fader.

Mind you I've only used it so far for about 45 minutes. I'm hoping it will grow on me. The sound quality is great. This 2GB player cost me slightly less than a 30GB 5G ipod. (it's true, it cost me $300 CAD at advancedmp3 + $60 CAD in tax when I went to pick it up)

Apr 11, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #60 of 112
It says on the estarlab.com site that this player is approximately 64 grams?!?! - its a FLASH player! Damn, that's heavy! I was planning to go running with this sort of thing, but I guess that's out of the question now. And since I live in Canada, I guess it'll be $300 (2GB)for me as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back