Monolith MX7000 Premium 1GB Review
Apr 19, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #91 of 112
Just recieved my monolith today. Bought mine from mp3advanced and the shipping was super fast. Ordered on thursday night got it wednesday morning. The buttons seem fine to me, there is rattling but im not really concerned about it. Some of you guys have really high expectations in quality :p. To me the player is light and small, smaller than i expected it to be from the photos and comments ive seen and read. If you are complaining about a player that weighs 64g, i think you need to eat more :p. Imo it is very portable.

One thing i do have to complain about is the size of the actual screen, though i already knew it was small before i purchased it.

I havnt listened to it yet as it is currently charging. Does anyone know how long the first time charge should be?

Apr 19, 2006 at 8:29 AM Post #93 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
3 hours. As for expectations... well, other players (iRiver, iAudio, etc and even the Nano bar the scratching) are built to better tolerances.

My old player was an iriver and the buttons are pretty much the same. Infact the reason i upgraded to the monolith was the play button in my iriver snapped :p.

Does anyone know how to upgrade the firmware? Also can you reverse the command of the select track button so pressing down = next track and pressing up = previous track?

Apr 19, 2006 at 11:54 AM Post #94 of 112
I just sent mine back to advancedmp3. It's a really great store. I'm hoping to get a full refund. I couldn't deal with the fact that I paid 360 dollars for something that felt like a toy.

There are certain build quality-price standards established in the market now. An ipod nano, though I know it does have less "features" (depending on what you value), and is produced in much larger quantities, would cost about $260 for a 2GB here. Though the monolith does have more features, like line-in, FM/FM recording, loudness etc... that doesn't really warrant the poor build quality. In fact, it doesn't have to cost more to manufacture something with good build quality. That comes from the product's design and choosing the right manufacturing method for it. Opening up the monolith, it is obvious it is the product's design that is the reason why everything rattles around inside it. That "special manufacturing process not using glue or screws" they talk about is the reason why the buttons aren't secure. Everything is held together with snap fits.

I'd much rather spend 460 dollars and get an iAudio 6, knowing the build quality will be up to par with the 260 dollar nano. Doesn't really make sense and kind of obsessive-compulsive of me I know, but it's true.

To upgrade the Monlith firmware, you just copy the CBR file into the root directory of the player, unplug the player from the USB, and it will update it. You can downgrade the firmware if you don't like the version, as long as you have the older CBR file.

http://www.estarlab.com/support/down..._name=download

Apr 19, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #96 of 112
Look for the "system" icon, and go into that menu. The very last option will give you information about the device, and the very last thing listed is the firmware version. I forget the name of the option.

Apr 19, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #97 of 112
My monolith and my friends do not "rattle" and the buttons are fine, i have had mine for months and have had no issues , it also does not feel like a toy!
If you cannot hear the large difference in quality between a monolith and a nano then buy a cassette player as your ears are faulty.
Either advanced MP3 have a dodgy batch or you are disguised ipod fanboys.

Apr 19, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #98 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by doomlordis
Either advanced MP3 have a dodgy batch or you are disguised ipod fanboys.

Probably a bit of both. With good reason. Maybe YOUR ears are faulty because you can't hear the buttons rattling
smily_headphones1.gif
haha (I'm just kidding I'm sure your ears are fine)
Anyway, yeah maybe I got a player from a bad batch.

I already have a cassette player too and I love listening to my old tapes. My walkman has lasted me about 10 years already, I'm pretty sure the monolith wouldn't have lasted that long, probably not even 2 years. It sure does have good sound quality though.

I have read many bad things about the slider switch ceasing to function, but then again this could be because only a few people who actually have bad experiences complain about it. The monolith is a decent player, I will definitely not argue about its sound quality. It sounds great.

Apr 19, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #99 of 112
Hi,

I am having huge problems with the mx-7000.
After I made a firmware upgrade and turned off the display, the player hang up and now I cannot restart it.
I tried to reset but it did not work.
Any ideas?

Apr 20, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #100 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by vindiesel
Hi,

I am having huge problems with the mx-7000.
After I made a firmware upgrade and turned off the display, the player hang up and now I cannot restart it.
I tried to reset but it did not work.
Any ideas?

Does the player turn on at all?

the only thing I can suggest is holding down the Power and the Menu buttons at the same time. This brings it into diagnostic mode. Then use a small object to push the reset button (at the bottom of the unit). You have to push it pretty hard, and the device has to be turned on in order for it to really work.

If this doesn't work, and if you can at least get it into diagnostic mode, try connecting it to your computer and uploading a different firmware. 1.10 seems to be the most stable. Then unplug your device, and don't touch it while it's doing its thing.

I wish I could help more, but I really am guessing here. Hope things work out for you. I've heard of this happening to other people too.

Apr 20, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #101 of 112
@mr.doodle

No, the player doesnt turn on at all!
I cannot even set it to diagnostic mode.
In a review i read something about the shortcuts:
power+tempo=format
power+b.mark=low level format

Nothing happens at all.
When the player is plugged to my computers usb-port, the red charging led just lights and then turns off after finished charging.
When I then press the power button while plugged to usb port, the lights turns on and off when releasing the power button, but the display does not turn on.
Well, the only thing i will do now is to send it back to my dealer!
Thanx anyway for help!

Apr 20, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #102 of 112
Hi, I lived in USA. Im trying to buy monolith MX7000 2GB from advancedmp3player.com but I couldnt. There is an error everytime I used my visa card. Anyone of you experience the same problem? I dont want to call them up.. it is troublesome
frown.gif
Bank transfer is another method.. but I have to pay another 22usd for service charge. I really want this monolith to replace my 5g ipod...I heard its SQ and EQ is bloody good. It will be my temporary mp3 player cause i will sell it when new Cowon Xseries come out.. but i dun know when....

Right now I need help here regarding payment method.. help me someone.. thx

Apr 20, 2006 at 9:46 AM Post #104 of 112
.... I thought the SQ is better than 5G ipod? The EQ in monolith is better than ipod right? When i use the bass boost in ipod, i can hear distortion. What about monolith? Well if you say the SQ is essentially the same as the 5G iPod. Then please tell me which mp3 player has better SQ than both of them I really need an mp3 player now..

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:11 AM Post #105 of 112
This is how I test player's SQ. There's another longer reply I wrote elsewhere but along with using both players for a while, I also do very accurately level-matched, switched listening tests.

5gmono010.jpg

The headphone is the Sony Qualia 010. The player > switch interconnects are from the same batch and are measured to be to all practical intents identical. The switch does not degrade SQ. The test is done with a number of tracks, the first few of which is intended to highlight one part of the performance I'm looking at. The I do a number of all-round tests in complex and simple music in a variety of styles.

And to answer doomlordis, I had a hearing test when I went to be fitted for the UE-10Pros and it is great. My Monolith is also working as well as it can be expected to.

The quality of the DAC stage and the headphone amplification circuitry inside both machines is pretty much the same, delivering very similar sound quality when playing back the same files (192K / 320K MP3). However the ultimate achievable SQ is higher on the iPod, as it works as you might expect it to do with Apple Lossless. The Monolith however can't play back very high-bitrate Oggs properly, and has no lossless or WAV support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back