Monolith M1570 Over Ear Open Back Balanced Planar Headphones
Oct 4, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #571 of 1,015
Oct 5, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #572 of 1,015
I want to say RebelAmp is better at everything, but I am going to do a head to head comparison for you when I get home tonight to be certain. The Schiit Jotunheim might give the RebelAmp a run for it's money since the Schiit house sound is SO GOOD for rock tracks. I shall update you soon.
Okay, I just got through a bunch of rock tracks from dozens of bands. With the Monolith M1570, the RebelAmp spanks the Schiit Jotunheim 2.
The RebelAmp Is also the best regarding slam for rock, or which amp gives the better slam for rock/metal music?
As for slam for rock/metal, I specifically listened for this on each track. My verdict is that the RebelAmp continues to spank the Schiit Jotunheim 2 in regards to slam with the Monolith M1570.
So, I grabbed my Grado Hemp as these are some great rock headphones. Still yet the RebelAmp continues to spank the Schiit Jotunheim 2.
Okay, so I grab the Audeze LCD-X (2020) and even though the RebelAmp still had more slam, the Jotunheim 2 slam was getting closer to that of the RebelAmp.
Overall, I really had a tough time listening with the Schiit Jotunheim 2 as I always wanted to plug the headphones right back into the RebelAmp because it just sounded so good being more refined, and fuller, and yes more slam.

IMG_1531.jpg

Oct 5, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #573 of 1,015
Okay, I just got through a bunch of rock tracks from dozens of bands. With the Monolith M1570, the RebelAmp spanks the Schiit Jotunheim 2.

As for slam for rock/metal, I specifically listened for this on each track. My verdict is that the RebelAmp continues to spank the Schiit Jotunheim 2 in regards to slam with the Monolith M1570.
So, I grabbed my Grado Hemp as these are some great rock headphones. Still yet the RebelAmp continues to spank the Schiit Jotunheim 2.
Okay, so I grab the Audeze LCD-X (2020) and even though the RebelAmp still had more slam, the Jotunheim 2 slam was getting closer to that of the RebelAmp.
Overall, I really had a tough time listening with the Schiit Jotunheim 2 as I always wanted to plug the headphones right back into the RebelAmp because it just sounded so good being more refined, and fuller, and yes more slam.

Can you compare Rebel Vs Jot 2 Balanced? Did you try adding a preamp to adjust line level gain? Some amps prefer a slightly stronger setting than 2V.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #574 of 1,015
Can you compare Rebel Vs Jot 2 Balanced? Did you try adding a preamp to adjust line level gain? Some amps prefer a slightly stronger setting than 2V.
With the Monoprice M1570 and the Audeze LCD-X 2020 I was using balanced on the Schiit Jotunheim 2 vs. single ended output of RebelAmp. The RebelAmp has more refined, detailed, warm, full sound. Better soundstage and better everything. The physical temperature of the RebelAmp stays slightly warm vs. the heater output of the Jotunheim 2. The Jotunheim has more outputs and switches if one needs them to preamp speakers and or subwoofer.

Oct 5, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #575 of 1,015
Oh, do you mean balanced input from balanced output of DAC? I can try that tonight but I doubt that will make a difference. I will try it when I get home and report back.

Oct 5, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #576 of 1,015
Oh, do you mean balanced input from balanced output of DAC? I can try that tonight but I doubt that will make a difference. I will try it when I get home and report back.
Very good, make it so. Carry on. {Picard Maneuver} Engage!

Oct 5, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #578 of 1,015

Thank you so much for your help, I definitely will end up buying the RebelAmp now, I really like how It looks green, Is really beautiful. Which power supply cable do you use for It, or should I use the stock power supply cord?

Oct 6, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #579 of 1,015

I tried the XLR balanced out from my Emotiva DAC and I did not find an improvement in sound. But, I do appreciate the recommendation. It was worth a shot. One good thing did come out of the experiment. In shuffling my interconnects around, I found that one of my interconnects had gone bad and added some distortion out of my distribution splitter for my multi-amp setups. I confirmed this by comparing it to a good working high end cable that I had made. So I threw out the cheap damaged interconnect. Also, I think I am going to go back to a 3 x Schiit Modi 3 setup for comparisons so that I have one high-end interconnect per amp from now on.
I maintain that I love the RebelAmp sound over the Jotunheim 2. The Jotunheim 2 is no slouch though. If anyone already owns the Schiit Jotunheim 2, it does it's job admirably and at a lower cost than the RebelAmp. With Schiit products you do get a lot for your money.

Oct 6, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #580 of 1,015
Thank you so much for your help, I definitely will end up buying the RebelAmp now, I really like how It looks green, Is really beautiful. Which power supply cable do you use for It, or should I use the stock power supply cord?
I have used a variety power cables with my amps but have yet to detected any discernible change in sound. I did purchase a whole bunch of small power cables from Monoprice so that I could have cleaner setups when I try out audio gear. Pretty much any power cable should get the job done. After all, we can't control the wires run in our walls and change them very easily. Who is to say that the last few feet of copper will make any difference in most of our homes. Some people run dedicated AC lines to their audio setups from their home's breaker panel with expensive wire. Perhaps in that special instance one might justify purchasing high end power cables.

Oct 6, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #581 of 1,015
I have used a variety power cables with my amps but have yet to detected any discernible change in sound. I did purchase a whole bunch of small power cables from Monoprice so that I could have cleaner setups when I try out audio gear. Pretty much any power cable should get the job done. After all, we can't control the wires run in our walls and change them very easily. Who is to say that the last few feet of copper will make any difference in most of our homes. Some people run dedicated AC lines to their audio setups from their home's breaker panel with expensive wire. Perhaps in that special instance one might justify purchasing high end power cables.
Any UPS with sine wave output will do, using the side from the battery source. The AC - DC - AC conversions condition the electrical supply, and clean it up very nicely.

Also, thanks for testing the Jot 2 on balanced, was curious to see if the Balanced out would improve it's dynamics in regards to rock / metal.

I've also been looking at the Liquid Platinum amp. Anyone with experience of this one?

Oct 6, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #582 of 1,015
Any UPS with sine wave output will do, using the side from the battery source. The AC - DC - AC conversions condition the electrical supply, and clean it up very nicely.
That would likely clean up power to also justify purchasing fancy power cables. Also, those off the grid with solar setups might also have cleaner power to work with.

Oct 6, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #583 of 1,015

Also, thanks for testing the Jot 2 on balanced, was curious to see if the Balanced out would improve it's dynamics in regards to rock / metal.

I've also been looking at the Liquid Platinum amp. Anyone with experience of this one?
The LP is a very nice amp. The thing is that it has very high gain and so it is not ideal for efficient headphones or IEM's.
And while you can use the 1/4" out jack, the amps designer says that it is inferior and that he only put it in because he had to for retail. It was built to be a balanced amp.
I use it with headphones that are 50 Ohm and higher. I love it with my Focal Elex's and Senn HD660's. And I used to enjoy my Sundara's on it.

Oct 6, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #584 of 1,015
The LP is a very nice amp. The thing is that it has very high gain and so it is not ideal for efficient headphones or IEM's.
And while you can use the 1/4" out jack, the amps designer says that it is inferior and that he only put it in because he had to for retail. It was built to be a balanced amp.
I use it with headphones that are 50 Ohm and higher. I love it with my Focal Elex's and Senn HD660's. And I used to enjoy my Sundara's on it.
My intent would be to go balanced, after all, and to consolidate the tubes into the amp. Not much reason to get the LP for SE if I already have the Asgard 3.

I think I am fussing over Balanced because I don't have any balanced amps, and tbh I probably don't need to do it. But I like the concept. :)

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #585 of 1,015
Also, forgot to ask how good Is the Instrument separation on the RebelAmp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back